How bad can I do? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How bad can I do?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by VCSMaster, Mar 22, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VCSMaster

VCSMaster Rookie

Mar 5, 2023
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    The car was imported in 1985, I was not aware from where. As far as paperwork appears. It would be the same as you, dropping whatever initial miles the car had. I don't know where you got 100k miles from, though.

2. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I am not saying that car has 100K miles, I am just sharing my own experience importing a Mondial. The earliest appearance on Carfax for your car is 1986 and shows 14K miles. Maybe they adjusted the odometer for a possible 22K kilometers driven in Europe?

3. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    What I have learned through the years (and it has finally sunk in!) is that if you cannot, or do not want to pay up for the best examples of a car, then buying a lesser example is really a bad idea. Inevitably you'll spend more money in the end, spend less time on the road and more time in the garage, and will slowly develop disdain for the car. The only advantage is in instant gratification -- you'll own a Ferrari now at a readily affordable price, but with many more "payments" to come later. That appeal quickly wears off.

The only exception is if working on a project is your main goal, you enjoy that more than actually driving the car and money is not really an issue.

Also keep in mind that among the Ferrari crowd, DIY work is not worth what receipts from a professional are worth. Many potential buyers will view a home mechanic's full service as needing that work done again by a pro.

4. VCSMaster

VCSMaster Rookie

Mar 5, 2023
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    While I appreciate the advice, I do not consider any classic car to be an investment. If I'm not losing money on it, it's being neglected and should be sold anyways.

In the first few posts I did mention I was looking for a weekend project.

5. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3

May 30, 2006
    If your primary motivation is working on the car, it sounds like this will be a great option for you. Good luck and consider starting a project thread here if you go through with it.

peterp and WilyB like this.