How badly does repainting effect value? | FerrariChat

How badly does repainting effect value?

Discussion in '612/599' started by doctorj!, Jun 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doctorj!

doctorj! Formula 3

Aug 3, 2010
    Jersey
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I recently got a small dent in the right fender from my garage. Classic Coach which is a certified shop in NJ said they have to repaint the entire fender in order for the paint to properly blend in and no chipping to happen in the future. How much does an entire area like that being repainted effect value?

I drive the car regularly so expect to have chips etc. I need to have a few chips touched up on the nose/hood in any case.

Thoughts?

2. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Paint is always a story. I would get a dent guy to pop the dent out and a really good touch up guy to fix the paint. There are guys that are really good with and air brush.

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It depends on how anal the next guy is.

If it were "an accident", I can see it. But, repainting a fender over a scratch takes away value? How? Most likely the original paint was worse.

IMO, if you can't see the damage and it was extremely minor in the first place, then the new owner has nothing to gripe over as long as it's revealed. Who cares if the paint was applied in Italy or NJ as long as it looks perfect and lasts just as long if not longer?

Anal types will ask for a "discount" but let's face it... these are never going to be museum pieces. Should you not change the oil either because "the factory did it"?

I'd take a well sorted out car with a few miles on it and some repainted stone chips over a "perfect" garage queen any day. Besides, there is no such thing as "perfect".

4. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman

Very logical e mail. ;)

5. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Totally agree.

A lot of owners never see the brand 'new ' cars when they arrive at the dealer for the inspection and prep. Dents and paint imperfections including scratches frequently are repaired and touched up. The trip from Maranello to the US is hazardous to the health of a brand new Ferrari.

I saw a transport driver bang the drivers door and mirror against the inside of his transporter trying to get into the car to back it out. He was a large guy and finally rolled down the window and straddled it to get in. The door swung back and forth wildly hitting aluminum on steel .

When he delivered the car there were scratches and some dents on the mirror and door. I doubt the dealer tells owners about these events. I am also sure that the car looked a million dollars at delivery time.

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Yep!

My new Maserati had the hood re-painted. The dealer spotted it during a detail, showed me the evidence, and asked me about when I repainted it.

I said "never" -- I bought it new from them.

Oops. :)

7. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    AJ,
    I would have to agree with the previous posts.
    I think repainting a fender to repair a dent or scratches would be considered reasonable and accepted repairs. You werent in an accident, no major damage. You are just maintaining the overall condition of your car. People get the dash recovered all the time due to shrinkage. Its the same type of repair to me. In my opinion it shows how much you actually care for the condition of the car.
    Good luck
    -Dominic

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Take a few pictures, and document it ....put it in the service book with the bill.

Problem solved.

No story BS

9. Ice9

Ice9 Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ice9
    It always amazes me how owners of Enzo-era cars routinely buy cars that have been COMPLETELY repainted a different color for millions of dollars and owners of Montezumelo era buyers/owners get anxious about a bumper spray on a car that is obviously not wrecked...

67bmer likes this.
  10. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    don't think paint is in issue (as i think the factory paint SUCKS. my 575 had a slight run mark in the back bumper)

11. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Do This.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Document the whole thing proper, good pictures, even put a newspaper with date in a before and after picture. When it comes to selling, clearly post said pictures .

13. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    +1
    It's all about documentation. Pictures say in these cases more than a 1000 words.

14. F-Nut

F-Nut Karting

Nov 30, 2008
    Farmington, MI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    First off, the fender is not being replaced. It is simply being brought back to a fresh state.

Second, you are driving the car. This means that there are going to be small nicks and scratches over your ownership period. I think a small respray is more than acceptable.

I will agree with the above comments that you should take a couple pictures before the fender is repainted. This will prove to the next owner than it wasnt in an accident.

I'll probably get flamed for this comment, but its just a car. When something breaks or gets damaged, go ahead and fix it. (just make sure its fixed correctly)

15. Zinger

Zinger Formula 3

Apr 11, 2009
    Leesburg, Va
    Full Name:
    Ryan M
    +1

As long as you repair the paint with a reputable company that does a stellar job no worries. We all know Ferrari paint is not the best, so respraying that area without actual damage (just paint) is no big deal.

16. Terry Shaw

Terry Shaw Rookie

May 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Terry Shaw
    dents must be expected, on older cars its called Patena, there are places like fenders, rocker panels, inner fender wells, splash pans, some cars came with them brand new, like buick grand nationals (86-87) right side of the roof right above the rear edge of the door at the roof line (about thumb size), if you have one of these and theres no dent, your cars at least been repainted on this side. The first dents always the worst!

17. Kiwi599

Kiwi599 Rookie

Mar 6, 2019
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Personally I don’t care at all. I would much rather have my car looking absolutely perfect than have to look at stone chips and scratches. Just pick the right painter and whatever you do, don’t compromise the quality of the work.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Modena_2003 and vraa like this.
  18. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I was in the local dealer last year and they had a brand new TDF in the shop being prepped for the buyer. There were several wax crayon circles on the car in spots that needed to be touched up and they had to respray the roof. This is on a $650k car.