430 - How connect a trickle charger behind drivers seat? | FerrariChat

430 How connect a trickle charger behind drivers seat?

Discussion in '360/430' started by biro, Apr 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. biro

biro Rookie

Feb 23, 2019
    Hi,

I currently have a trickle charger cable connected directly to the battery under the passenger side foot well but would like to connect a new trickle charger to the connections behind the drivers seat as this location would work better for me.

Would appreciate advice on where to connect it too (pics are welcome :) and in what sequence to do things as I'm pretty inexperienced with electricity in general and want to avoid damages to the car or myself.

Any advice on trickle charger by the way? I was thinking of a CTEK MXS 5.0 but am open to suggestions.

Big thanks in advance.

2. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Just remove the cover behind the seat and look for the big heavy red cable, connect your positive to it. Look for a bolt holding a bracket to the body for the negative black wire.
    A lot of people like the ctek but it can be a bit fussy, in that it can lock it self out if it thinks you have a battery fault. I use another make but i have mine on a daily timer for 1 hour a day and that works fine. The ctek has left me with a flat battery a few times for no reason.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

RedTaxi and whatheheck like this.
  3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Just want to add that you may have experienced a defective CTEK. I have several 7002 CTEKs and none has ever left me with a flat battery. I’m not sure what you mean by “lock itself out.” If you mean turn itself off, I think there are safety circuits in it that could do that if there is a wiring or other electrical fault in your wiring. You may have a fault in your wiring or a defective CTEK.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    A lot of people like them but i prefer to have a charger on a timer, stops it putting a trickle charge in over the winter and sulfating the battery plates.
    Cars in the uk are fitted with trackers which loads the battery , my timer gives it a bit more than a trickle daily which is no bad thing. Had 2 ctek 5.0 and flat batteries, no problem with my present setup. This works and is reliable and you are probably right about protection circuits, but i think over kill comes to mind.
    The ctek gave me a flat battery and i could not get into the car with the key. Could not get the doors open- had to jack the car up , remove a floor section and charge the battery via the starter cables. Not a mistake i will do again

f355spider likes this.
  5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Many newer battery tenders have modes to prevent sulfation, and even have desulfation modes. BTW, I have no problem with your using a timer if you don't trust the microprocessor to prevent overcharging, that is good insurance. One idea I saw a friend do, was to take one of the lightbulbs out of his garage door opener and install a plug adapter. He plugged his battery tender into it for his Ferrari. Since the opener opened two doors and the other bay had his daily driver, his Ferrari automatically received at least two 5 minute trickle charges each day, sometimes more if he had errands to run. Clever.

6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I'm 360 Canuck and f355spider like this.
  7. RedTaxi

RedTaxi F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 1, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Glen
    Another vote for Mike32. That's how I did my 360. I have attached to the battery in my 430 and it is more awkward to connect the charger. I might do the behind the seat connection again. C-tek 3.8 amp working fine for 6 years now.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    At what year of manufacture did Ferrari add the battery charger connection under the passenger dash? I know my 2009 430 Scuderia has this.