How did you get into Ferraris? | FerrariChat

How did you get into Ferraris?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by aadesh37, Jan 12, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. aadesh37

aadesh37 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    aadesh pandey
    I was at a lunch today and an older gentleman who knew I was a bit of a petrolhead ask me how I ended up getting into Ferraris. Took me a few minutes of pondering before I could give him an answer. The short of it is it started with a conversation I had with my father years ago when he was considering buying either a 308 or a Testarossa after sitting next to a senior Ferrari executive on a flight from Milan to NY. The guy from Ferrari really had gotten him interested and he was a tough sell, so I figured that must really be something behind these cars. For some reason that conversation always stuck in my head. Step two was ownership of a couple of Alfas followed by BMWs followed by Porsches. Then I drove a F355 and it was simply just that much more exciting than anything I could remember driving up until that point. So I bought it.

Others?

2. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Lifelong car guy + Italian ancestry + severance package $ + Pininfarina awe = 1st Ferrari

Red 27, Il Tifoso, LordVennFF and 6 others like this.
  3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I was born into it. My Dad was a gear head. he hung around and worked at a filling station/garage. this was in the early '50s and he used to see some British sports cars - MG's Triumphs, and one Aston Martin. then one day in the mid 50's he saw a Porsche 356 - which he said looked like a space ship he had never seen anything like that. Which got him looking at Road and Track. He bought a Porsche in 1960 ( kept it all his life ) and got into racing etc.. and when I was born in 67, i was just around it. By that time my dad had built a huge slot car track and he had 150 slot cars ... many of them Ferrari's.

One of my earliest memories is of being at Watkins Glen - 1970 ish, and seeing a 330gtc and 206 Dino as well as the F-1 cars ... the noise and look was intoxicating. My dad told me about Enzo and how fast and exotic the cars were. I remember seeing a 330P3/4 there as well, it was so cool.
    My first racing love was Matra - Jackie Stewart... but quickly changed over to Ferrari. in 1982 after Villeneuve's death, I sent Enzo a letter and asked for his autograph, and 2-3 months later this large envelope came in the mail, with a yellow brochure - that he had signed. I have that today and look at it every morning. the signature is very faded but it's a prized possession.

Red 27, LARRYH, audi_328 and 12 others like this.
  4. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I have told this story before, there's a thread here somewhere about this. However . . .

As a kid, Kirk F. White was my neighbor. If you don't know who he was, google him. He was always tooling around the neighborhood driving some form of exotic car. He was also, really cool guy.

Ran the first exotic auction that later inspired all the ones you see today. (Photo from the 2nd Annual Kirk F. White Auction.) That's Kirk at the microphone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Often, what he drove by in were Ferraris. One day it was a red Dino, and a lifelong lust was born when I was in the front yard and he rumbled by in one. I was probably 13 or 14 at the time.

I was also a huge F1 fan, watching on Wide World of Sports, eventually going to Watkins Glen to root them on in maybe 1977 or 78.

Culminating in my purchase of a Dino, and then restoring it with the capable help of Algar Ferrari..

So, lifelong fan, inspired by a neighbor's passion.

D

Red 27, LARRYH, LordVennFF and 10 others like this.
  5. Steveinfl

Steveinfl Karting

May 14, 2016
    Hilton Head SC and Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    Steven Clayton
    Easy - It was 1984 and I was 18 years old. Into motorcycles and sports cars (not that I could afford any). I saw the movie Against all Odds. There's a race scene in Southern California on Sunset Blvd. between a 911 and a 308. I was HOOKED. I said, right there...someday...I will own one of these cars.

Took me a while but, I've had more 911's than I can count and I'm currently on my 5th mid engine v8 Ferrari (328, 355, 430, 458, 488 with F8 spider deposit made).

It pays to dream...but then make it happen.

Red 27, Roadney, Il Tifoso and 4 others like this.
  6. anonymouscoward

Dec 27, 2017
    Florida
    It was the summer of 1963 in NY when I took a job as a valet parking cars at The Flamingo Club. There I met a man named Phil Brody who promoted me to cabana steward and introduced me to the finer things in life, namely, honing my skills as an expert in gin rummy, the upside down fan and most importantly Ferrari.

Red 27, Il Tifoso and JP365 like this.
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    love this thread. I was on a street in Rome and a black F12 roared by. I thought what if...

8. AlromeF178

AlromeF178 Rookie

Jan 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alan Ross Melcum
    When I was a child, my uncle showed up one day in a red 348tb and up until then, I had no idea that cars could be so low, so interesting and simply so beautiful. This was 1993 and from then on, I was hooked. He traded it in (the same year) for a black Testarossa which remains my halo car to this day. I am now a huge car guy, write for ********** and love anything with wheels, but Ferrari is a term that is magical and no matter what the model (or color) is nothing less than a synonym for "seductive" to me.

Red 27 likes this.
  9. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I was on the same journey going in the other direction. :D

The first Ferrari I saw was a red Testarossa and the side strakes were captivating. However, I liked the idea of a lighter more compact V8 version than a heavier V12 GT car, and settled on the 348tb as my halo car. :)

Al the best,
    Andrew.

Red 27 likes this.
  10. AlromeF178

AlromeF178 Rookie

Jan 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alan Ross Melcum
    Thanks for sharing! That's awesome. I've never owned a Ferrari, but have been an enthusiast my entire life. I completely get it. My favorite Ferrari is the 355. One of the last truly classical models before the design language changed, which is not a bad thing, but I still love the final design of the 1997-99 versions.

Cheers! - Alan

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm still working on getting into ownership too. Happily, my wife is on board and is looking forward to making a 348tb our fun third car someday. :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

PaulK likes this.
  12. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    As a teen in the early 60's going to East Coast SCCA races and watching Charlie Hayes driving a "Burgundy?" 250 SWB against Bob Holbert's Silver RS/RSK Porsches and various Corvettes. The sound of the 250's V-12 at red line was intoxicating; no other car came close. 40+ years later I finally got my Ferrari. When I was "shopping", the choices were 360 Berlinetta or spider and 575M. The 575 won out because its styling was closest to the 60's Ferraris of my "childhood".

Red 27, LARRYH and walman like this.
  13. AlromeF178

AlromeF178 Rookie

Jan 12, 2021
    Full Name:
    Alan Ross Melcum

The best of luck to you! I will get one some day, too. Cheers, mate!

NeuroBeaker likes this.
  14. vandevanterSH

vandevanterSH Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2005
    AR
    Full Name:
    Stephen Van Devanter
    ".....various Corvettes"

FWIW, The person on the East Coast who helped establish the Corvette as a legitimate sports car in the late 50s-early 60, was a Wash. D.C. Dentist, Dick Thompson, winning five SCCA championships.

LARRYH and Jacob Potts like this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I grew up in Miami and saw these futuristic spaceships cruising down A1A and was immediately taken by them.

Red 27, Il Tifoso and jaisharma like this.
  16. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    Before I was old enough to drive I used to walk home from school the same way every day (late 70s) ... a house I would pass almost always had a Porsche 928 and Porsche 911 parked in front. I really liked the way those cars looked when it seemed like everyone else I knew coveted a Vette or a TransAm. One day I took a different route and passed a house where there was a red 308 GTS in the driveway. That did it. I walked home that way religiously after that even though the Ferrari wasn't there all the time ;)

Red 27, sixcarbs and NYC Fred like this.
  17. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I was 20 years in 1984 when I read R&T and MT magazines featuring the 288GTO. It was IIRC, about $84k. It really caught my eyes!

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I grew up in Phoenix in the mid 60's. Back then, Phoenix was still a small town. I never saw a Ferrari or Lamborghini on the street ever. MAYBE you could see an Etype Jag here or there. That was pretty exotic.

I went with my parents to see the movie Grand Prix in Cinerama. I was probably 9 or 10. That was the time I fell in love with Ferrari and F1 in general.

There was one dealer in Phoenix who sold Ferrari's: Max of Switzerland. I used to drive by it and look over into the window. You could buy MG's, Truimph, Jag or Ferrari there. I'm sure the first Ferrari I ever saw was looking through the glass in their showroom.

At the age of 23 I had the chance to buy a completely trashed 246 Dino Gt for 8 grand. It was on a trailer in the back of a friends Alfa repair shop -- also in Phoenix. At that point, you are hooked for life!

So, I blame John Frankenheimer.

Red 27, JP365 and Jacob Potts like this.
  19. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

But the question was when did you get into Ferraris?

20. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    How did you get into Ferraris?

Like most people, I open the driver's door, put my right foot in, plop my ass in the seat, and then put my left foot in. Voila! :D

randkin, tomc and Saabguy like this.
  21. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

UroTrash likes this.
  22. 911NBK

911NBK Karting

Jan 2, 2021
    This is a great story. Amazing history.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

dm_n_stuff likes this.
  23. F612

F612 Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2018
    Leeds,AL
    Full Name:
    David D. Hood
    When I was about 13 in 1956 a 21 year old next door neighbor took me to the Sebring race in his red Austin Healy 100-4.
    The sounds and sights of those V12 Ferraris has stayed with me.
    I bought my first one ( 612 OTO) when I was 75 years old.
    Bought a 575 last year and looking for a 430 spider now.

randkin, Red 27, LARRYH and 5 others like this.
  24. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

as an aside, maybe ten years ago, I rekindled my friendship with him. He had long since retired, and was writing a book on his life experiences. I had taken pictures of his auctions, bug some out of my archives, and sent them to him to use as he pleased. He passed in march of 2020, but did manage to finish his book first.

https://www.daltonwatson.com/Kirk-F-White-Don-t-Wash-Mine-p/dont-wash-mine.htm?fbclid=IwAR2ufFqBxlXKB6bPClrWlNV7EkAU5EtLdOE7cKiAL232rt_IA6Bfr7hYcDQ

He had posted almost every chapter on his blog/website as he wrote them. Interesting guy, life long car nut. Ran some successful race teams, too.

D

25. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Can’t find the clip with the Birdcage and Brody says something about bugs in your teeth. One of my favorite guilty pleasure movies.