How Did You Get Your 488 Pista Allocation | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Did You Get Your 488 Pista Allocation

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Rossocorsa1, Apr 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

For those who have 100% confirmation from your dealer, how did you get your 488 Pista allocation?

1. Long time Ferrari client. My dealer offered me a Pista with no additional purchase required

87 vote(s)
    47.0%
  2. I bought/leased a Lusso in return for an allocation

25 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. I purchased a new 488 GTB/Spider and was offered a Pista (with or without a trade-in)

27 vote(s)
    14.6%
  4. I bought a used Ferrari in return for an allocation

5 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Other

41 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    you could try and slip your dealer (if you trust them) money under the table. Happens with Porsche here in the UK

2. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's not that demand for others is lacking, it's that supply for Ferrari is artificially lacking.

The reality is people are jumping through hoops to buy a car that isn't going to be the pinnacle of anything other than the 488 platform, which will quickly be surpassed by the 488 replacement due probably a year after most people even take delivery.

If you have to jump through hoops to get a car right before it goes out of production anyway, you're doing something wrong IMO. If you can't just walk in and ask for your allocation and get it reasonably quick, what's the point?

crazedboutcars likes this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    One may argue what you say does not have to be always the case - I do not think that people having got the latest F12 tdf (at the same time the first 812 were delivered, actually) have any feeling that they should regret it, no matter how they got their tdf allocations.

4. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's because the TDF is still a N/A v12 special edition car that has appreciated a ton and was known to be pretty low volume, and it's the first iteration of the design language that usually spans two generations. The Pista is going to be just another turbo Ferrari that carries a modest premium for a bit.

I really don't think anyone who could get the replacement less than a year later for less would be jumping at the chance to get the Pista allocation still. 488 is the second half of the 458 design language.

There isn't a huge gap between the end of model production and the replacement, and I doubt those people jumping through hoops are getting the early cars.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeah tdf and pista are 2 different thing entirely

F2003-GA likes this.
  6. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I globally agree with you on this, but your previous message seemed to be generic and not specific to the Pista case.

7. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Your question is, what is the point of buying a new car that you cannot simply walk in and buy without ever having to stand in line. Since you have never owned or even wanted a Ferrari, I agree that it may be difficult for you to understand the viewpoint of those who do and don't mind jumping through a few hoops. Not everyone who has a ferrari still needs to jump through hoops, but that's as a result of a long history of buying them, to establish themselves with their dealer. Requires patience, resources, determination and a wunderlust for ferrari. Unlike Ferrari, your mclaren and Audi are simply limited by demand. Ferrari is limited by supply, not demand. Can you appreciate the difference? Enjoy what you have. In fact, go to your dealer tomorrow and buy as many new mclarens as you like. There are plenty new ones on the floor and more arriving daily by the truckload. Even though McLaren only sells a 1/3 as many cars as ferrari, you can have as many mclarens as you can fill your pockets with, so long as you don't mind the bloodbath on resale or trade-in. You can have your choice of as many Audi or mclarens or whatever else you enjoy, other than ferrari. But until you own one you will continue to miss the point.

kussetimii and Bundy like this.
  8. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #33 Shadowfax, Apr 23, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    For those who may have missed it - a recent quote by noone1: "I barely drive at all. I usually don't even keep a car where I'm living. Exotics are cool and all, but I usually just have no need for cars".

PS. Hope that helps :)
    PPS. Plenty more where that one came from but I think the one above sums it up in a nutshell. All under his own admissions too!

Jo Sta7, Bhh, sbenus and 1 other person like this.
  9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If the biggest difference is brand cachet, that's not a very good argument IMO.

BTW, the supply/demand thing is a US thing. That should show you that what you're buying into is actually manipulated. Why else would Chinese buyers get cars super quick and without the hoops?

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Because Ferrari is happy with its customer base in the US, whereas they want to expand in China - this leads to give a higher priority to China, it's not manipulation but sales strategy. They can increase the sales in China while keeping exclusivity (so low is their market now) but they may consider increasing their sales in the US would eventually dilute the brand value.

11. Murcielago_Boy

Murcielago_Boy Formula Junior

May 27, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    The Dark Lord
    Excellent, accurate post.
    Probably, a function of the greater income inequality prevalent in the United States full stop.

12. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    For someone who doesn’t own or want a Ferrari and critical of those who do, you seem strangely fascinated with the brand and spend all of your spare time on a Ferrari blog being a contrarian. Not sure why you are here. Maybe you just can’t stand to look away. Consider migrating to the McLaren or Audi blog where you can be an advocate instead of a hater.

Shadowfax and Bundy like this.
  13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    So, anyway, back on topic. It’s interesting that the poll seems to reflect what would be expected. Ferrari awards their consistent customers (or those who committed to the Lusso). To me, this is not surprising and it seems rather appropriate.

JagShergill likes this.
  14. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Wisely stated. Pretty straightforward, honestly, for the Pista, tdf, LaF, or however far you want to climb. It’s about the past, present, and future value that you bring to the dealer and brand (arguably the same as any product or service where demand exceeds supply).

If you’re a celebrity or serious whale, buying history may be less relevant. For mere mortals, serial purchases and participation in the greater Ferrari ecosystem (rallies, previews, racing, driving courses, Tailor Made, etc) helps a ton.

My opinion is do it if you truly enjoy it. Not just to try to score allocations. Easier to simply buy on the secondary market if you just want the occasional high-demand whatchamacallit, and not a garage full of Ferraris. My wife and I have had a blast with Ferrari so it doesn’t seem like a game at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottS, Shack, JagShergill and 2 others like this.
  15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

I can confirm this as well. I'm hardly a whale, but I'm a passionate Ferrari client. I made a commitment to the brand and to my dealer. I was on a waiting list for a 488 GTB for over a year. During my wait I attended many dealer events, I built a relationship with many people at my dealer and I flew to Italy to tour the factory. After I received my car I continued the same routine - attending dealer events, attended Casa Ferrari at Pebble Beach, etc. Also, when I purchased my 328 GTB I worked through my dealer to have it Classiche Certified. All these things make a big difference to Ferrari of North America and Ferrari. When the Pista was revealed and I decided that I really wanted it, I made my desires known to my dealer. They invited me to the dealer reveal event and a few weeks later they offered me one of their few allocations. Lastly, I sold my 488 GTB back to the dealer. Could I have made more if I sold my car through other channels, yes, probably. But, there is a price to pay for my passion and its part of process that I'm fine paying to enjoy my hobby. I also operate at a level I'm comfortable with (and that I have the means to enjoy). I'm not a going to be getting any ultra exclusive allocations from Ferrari. There's no LaFerrari successor in my future, and that's fine by me.

16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Agreed to trade in my pristine Yugo for one. My old car is in their showroom...

17. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Actually, an EV car blog is noone1's best way forward from here!

:rolleyes: Words spoken from a true Ferrari enthusiast - noone1's recent postings:
    "I personally wish I could get a full EV exotic that was dead silent". "I'm not into engine noise". "I prefer silence or music". "I also would like it to self-drive for me". "I just don't find modern exotics to be that exciting anymore". "Whether it brakes or corners better has become irrelevant". "I don't think driving characteristics even matter any more".

sbenus, agrun and Bundy like this.
  18. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The people jumping through hoops have it backwards. It's not a case of Ferrari treating good clients well, it's a case of Ferrari treating average clients crappy.

You aren't building a relationship by buying Lussos and FFs and cars you don't want, but rather you're in an abusive relationship.

19. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #44 Shadowfax, Apr 24, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    I guess it must be a different story in a Prius dealership....

Everyone has a choice. If a Pista is wanted then one can meet the stated criteria or buy elsewhere.

20. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    And that exactly what people should do. Go buy a car they might actually want or be interested in, and then pick up the beloved Pista when there are 50 for sale by the time their allocation would arrive anyway.

21. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    That is just speculation. I suspect most Pista buyers (myself inc) would prefer to spec their own car and know it is actually coming rather than wait around for a maybe that most likely wont be exactly to one's liking anyway....yet still pay the same or more.

PS. You clearly have no interest in Pista so why does all this matter to you anyway?

Nelsonc275 likes this.
  22. agrun

agrun Formula Junior

May 24, 2009
    FLA
    Hard to listen to noone1 when he admittedly doesn't enjoy driving, while poking fun at those who lust after the most desireable of driver's cars. noone1 should instead consider irritating his fellow EV bus passengers while being driven about soundlessly. He obviously has far too much time on his idle hands, seeking out an audience to irritate. Suggest he simply be ignored henceforth. Perhaps he will disappear along with the sound of his EV

Bundy and Shadowfax like this.
  23. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but OK. I like driving quite a bit, I just don't care at all about what brand it is, and I really only like to drive in nice places nowadays. Driving an exotic around the suburbs and city gets old quick. If I'm not on vacation, but I'm in a car, then it just means I'm running errands.

Like I said, I just think the whole allocation thing in the US is a joke that Ferrari laughs all the way to the bank at. There are so many brands and cars now, there is really no reason to fight for a car from any of them. Hell, Porsche is selling manuals again. What more could a real 'driver' want in 2018 other than a manual, 9000 RPM, RWD, NA track-day special? It's just about everything a true petrol head dreams about. And as a bonus, it's dirt cheap compared to any Ferrari and they hold value just as well it seems.

Elsewhere in the world though, getting a Ferrari isn't really much of a hassle. I remember seeing a 488 Spider at MSRP in Hamburg very early on while people were waiting forever and paying up the ass in the US. Customers let themselves get pushed around and now they have to play stupid games. Only in America do you have to jump through hoops to give someone $350K...

PATRIEK likes this.
  24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Why such a negative view? It isn’t ‘games’. It is one or more customers than available cars. In which case simple mathematics dictates you have to find a way of choosing who doesn’t get one. With one or more less customers than cars, you don’t. Are you seriously criticising Ferrari because more people want to buy their cars in the US than available supply? “Let’s build more and more cars so our poor customers can all have a car even if there are plenty left over”. Hands up who likes that better? No, me either.

Bundy and Shadowfax like this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yes Noone1's cred is shot to pieces - hard to argue that - but would still like to know what is behind his crusade. There must be some hidden beef to do with Ferrari...

Noone1. Care to elaborate? I'm intrigued.