How do I adjust the handbrake warning light sensor? | FerrariChat

How do I adjust the handbrake warning light sensor?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Skiday, Feb 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    When I last had my 355 serviced they didn't manage to adjust the handbrake warning sensor despite specifically asking them to. Previously, when releasing the handbrake, the light sometimes went out, but sometimes it needed a 'bomp' with my hand to put it out. Now it is lit all the time. It's not the brake fluid, that it fully topped up, and it's not the brake pads which have 6mm+ on them. I'm sure it's a simple adjustment (at least I hope) so how is that done?

2. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Electrical tape is the easiest.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You remove the rear driver side wheel, and tighten up the brake cable connection a the U joint. You want the hand brake to engage tight at about 5 clicks when you pull up on the handle. That will do it.

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The hand brake needs to be properly adjusted for either it or the light to work properly.
    Most people incorrectly just adjust the cable. It needs to have the shoes adjusted first, then the cable. The cable adjustment needs to be backed way, way off then adjust the shoes in the rear wheels in exactly the same way old drum brakes were adjusted, then adjust the cable until it pulls up 4 or 5 clicks.
    Only then will it really work as it should.

Most 355's on their first visit have here have never had their brakes adjusted properly since new. The factory did not do it when they built the cars and it was left up to the dealers on the PPI. Few did it.

ernie, malex, Qavion and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Here is a crappy cell phone video I made that may help you:

DaisyCutter, ernie and Qavion like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not growing up with drum brake cars you missed an important point. Drum brakes adjustments should be tightened until firmly locked then backed off to the proper point to fully seat all of the components. Most cars still had drum brakes when I started.

On a 355 that comes to about 5 clicks off of locked. And to do that the cable needs considerable slack.

7. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm not understanding this post - didn't have my second coffee yet. I will say, I did grow up with drum brakes and when I've adjusted 355's, they all work great.

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Like Venice...only the Italians could have built it.

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats exactly what everyone says when they have not experienced the correct operation of anything. If you have no frame of reference how do you know what good is?

10. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #10 Dave rocks, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    That's a fair point but some things are just obvious. My point of reference is my first 355 that had been serviced by Tony D of Algar and the operation was perfect. When I set up my other, it was the same. So I did have a reference point.

But, I like to learn so anything you can offer will be appreciated.

11. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If your satisfied all the travel of the handbrake lever is correct and everything is adjusted correctly and it reall is a case of the lamp not operating properly it may be the actual switch itself.

Its item no 4 on the diagram here:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/348-1993-tb-ts/brakes-wheels/hand-brake-control-23674

very cheap to replace - I tried lubricating mine first but Id replace for the small cost.

I will warn you though it is a faff to do as you have to remove the handbrake console and in turn to do that you need to remove the driver's seat.

There is 2 ways to adjust the light switch - the proper way is to loosen the locknut and screw it through one way or another and the re-tighten nut....and the other is to bend the bracket a bit! LOL

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 1407825

Attached Files:

ernie and Qavion like this.
  12. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    I find it incredible that what seems like a simple question generates so many replies. You guys are amazing:)! The brakes are the same as UK spec Toyota Prius rear brakes with drums inside disc brakes. I did my Prius brakes the other week so I'm already familiar in a way. The video from Dave rocks (is rocks a name or a statement?) shows one side but I'm thinking both sides need adjustment yes?

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    The very first forum I joined was a guitar forum. It came to username and I was like "uh....what to do?" So I just did "Dave Rocks" A bit of a joke. So, I'm lazy and use the same name for every forum I'm on :)

You need to adjust the shoes on each side but the shoe as shown pulls the cables on both sides.

14. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    OK, I've adjusted the brakes on the driver's (left) side and I can't get to the right side yet, but I've got good action on the handbrake lever and it's applying the parking brake a nice height which is a bit lower than before, but (sod's law) it hasn't changed the light not going out so it must be the switch. I've got the driver's seat awat and found the three screws holding down the cover (one under the engine bonnet release lever) but I'm stuck as the bonnet release lever and surround won't pass through the cover and there is not enough slack to unscrew the pin that holds the end of the release cable. Do I have to take the bonnet lock off in order to get more slack at the other end enabling me to undo the retaining pin or is there a simpler solution? Many thanks.

15. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    It's OK now, after giving the problem several coats of lookover I decided the only way to get the engine cover release handle of was to unbolt the latch itself to lengthen the cable which allowed me to unscrew the pin holding the end of the cable. It was a hell of a puzzle to put it back, but managed it in the end.

Anyway - to the problem of the handbrake switch. It would seem from the photos posted above by 348Jeff that either Ferrari completely re-designed the switch for the 355 or I have a non-standard replacement as mine looks completely different and cannot be adjusted for length. My switch was mounted with two fat packing washers keeping it away from the handbrake lever, so I took one washer out - no change, I took out the other one - still no result, so I tried giving the mounting plate a little bend back as suggested above by Jeff. It seamed that the plunger needed to be longer as the body of the switch was hitting the end of the handbrake lever before it could depress the switch itself. So I drilled a hole in the end and screwed a pan-head screw into it thus making it longer. This adaptation has saved the day and the light goes out just as it should.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Image Unavailable, Please Login

So that really is the end of it for me. It would be interesting though to know if my switch is an original 355 (which differs from the 348) or is an aftermarket.

Thanks for the help.

One quick unrelated question to save opening a new thread... In order to reset the passenger airbag, where does the diagnostic plug in? Is is behind the driver's seat, or is it perhaps like my Fiat Coupé which has a separate (yellow cable) port behind the dash?

Thanks

Andrew

16. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Andrew, it's behind the passenger footpad. Unfortunately, you will need an SD1 to reset it.
    I'm guessing you applied power to the car without the instrument binnacle plugged in (?). Been there, done that :rolleyes:

17. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yellow cable u der pass footwell

18. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi Andrew - I'm glad you found the solution! :)

I was going to post some more pics then got distracted and forgot. There is a collar that takes an allen key to loosen off those cables for the engine pull but I suppose taking whole socket off is just as good.

That switch bracket doen't look standard at all unless it was modified on later 355s???*

I thought a horrible nasty "click" on my car when applying the handbrake was caused by a faulty lever/ratchet so I actually replaced my original 348 handbrake lever with one off a 355 (interchangeable as far as I know).

Your diagrams sort of show how you can "bodge it" by bending the original bracket which I suspect how the fault may occur with use - the supporting bracket is just not stiff enough and easily bent.

19. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Qavion likes this.
  20. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    No, I didn't unplug the instrument binnacle at any time (did do it on the Fiat Coupé though), but I did apply power with the airbag disconnected so that must have been enough:(

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yes, that will throw a fault with requires an SD to reset

22. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Andrew, someone on the forum said that the light sometimes resets with a long battery disconnect, but I haven't had such luck. Worth a try, perhaps, since you are far away from a service centre?

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It does not work. It's a stored fault within the ECU, Ian :)

24. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    That's been my experience, Dave. I just heard (or mis-heard) it worked for someone.

There is a procedure in the manual to clear the light without the SD1, but it only works on the type of airbag which has a 3-pin diagnostic plug. Not sure if these are early Euro types?

25. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    EDIT: Might be a 4 pin plug (hard to tell from the manual).

I see that you can send some types of airbag controllers to workshops to be reset, but I'm not sure if this applies to Ferraris. Some websites don't have Ferrari listed, but they do have Fiat listed.

The Fiat Punto (1995~) airbag is made by the same manufacturer "TRW". The TRW part number is 200039-101. The Ferrari F355 airbag module (P/N 169710) has at TRW part number 200039-103. The Ferrari 456 is TRW 200039-102. The Ferrari 550 is TRW 200039-104.

Just wondering if anyone has tried some of the YouTube/Google remedies for fixing airbag lights (involving turning the ignition on/off in certain sequences).

https://www.doityourself.com/stry/how-to-reset-an-airbag-light

https://itstillruns.com/reset-air-bag-light-7382596.html