HOW DO I GET STARTED ? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

HOW DO I GET STARTED ?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by SPYDER348, Mar 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Funny how that works, huh?

Dale

PS After a few hot laps at the track, you'll never go back to doing stupid things on the street.

2. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Carbon wings are amazingly strong. Got it scratched but totally useable. No that was my friends 348c that got dropped off the tow truck also at buttonwillow. Anyway the point of my picture is even if it is not your fault ***** happens. Whatever you put on track make sure you are willing to write it off or that is not the track car for you.

3. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    DO you want to learn to drive better or race. You drive their cars is an okay way to improve driving. For racing join SCCA. Hang out. Go to some races. Pick a c lass that has a lot of spec cars. Offer to help a driver to get some experience preping and finally buy a used prepared car with spares,trailer and get your permit,then region ,national... license. The larger the class the better. FV,FF, SRF,SPEC MIATA,etc. Not much to learn in a class with only a couple of cars in it. GTS BRUCE

4. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    While I agree with you 100% when you are racing, a noncompetitive track day is supposed to be safe and fun with heavy emphasis on keeping everything and everyone in one piece. Yes, @#$% happens, but we do everything we can to avoid it. When racing, you accept that risk. When out on a gentleman's track day, no. That's why there are run groups to separate those who want open passing, passing only in certain zones and point-by rules. I like to run in point-by groups for that very reason. Yes, it is slower, but it is also safer and reduces by a lot the possibility of trading paint. That way I can drive my Ferrari on the track and not a Datsun 510.

5. Mr.Manny

Mr.Manny Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    N.J
    Full Name:
    Manny
    The best way to learn is seat time, more time on a track the better you get.I suggest go to a track not thinking of racing our tracking your car instead take your time try different lines see what makes you comfortable in your car, all drivers have different styles of driving some breack deep and hard into a corner some like to tap the breacks way before the turn ect. With time you will learn and see what's best for you, and you will be surprisedwhat your car can do .Get comfortable and be safe and use street tires for all that you will get better feedback. I think with that you should have at least a year of taking your car on the track with out hurting the car or yourself. Ferrari are meant to be driven and tracked , why compromise what you love and drive something else never made any sense to me you can have fun learn what your car can do as long as your smart and take your time. Good luck and have Fun

6. SmokeyJoe

SmokeyJoe Karting

Mar 4, 2012
    Save your tires
    Check out the other drivers (ideally before you start)
    Get an instructor or go to a driving course
    and enjoy !

7. Muftah

Muftah Karting

Mar 3, 2012
    Boston, Ma
    Full Name:
    Muftah
    I totally agree with Mr.Manny,
    Last Year, I took my ferrari 575M to Lime Rock and spend an approximately 8 hour sessions with an instructor. I let the instructor do the first 3 laps, then I took over. I was nervous at first, then things came naturally as I gained self confidence. Each session, I drove faster around the curves and apply the breaks more correctly than the session before and I learned to allow the car to slide naturally at the corners and minimize over steering. It was an amazing thrilling experience.
    Next week, I have two day sessions at the Monticello Motor Club and I am looking forward to enhance my performance driving skills.

Regards,

Muftah

8. John Se

John Se Karting

Mar 15, 2005
    Scottsdañe
    Go to drivers schools, rent cars.

Nothing like going to the track with a team and all you have to concern yourself with is driving! Be happy spending the money you earned at a rate you never believed possible. You cant take it with you.

Get a Standard Forumula Mazda when you want to go racing.

Leave your nice ferrari in the garage safe and sound.

Once you drive a purpose built for racing Formula or sports racing car you will know that street cars are just that. For the street.