How do I get tagged as a Ferrari owner? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do I get tagged as a Ferrari owner?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RaceMX-M3, Jul 12, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I’ll chime in here, though bear in mind I in no way represent the management or moderation staff of this site.

I also care whether opinions are coming from someone who knows what they are talking about. However the ‘Owner’ tag doesn’t give a guarantee one way or the other, depending on the subject matter. What it does do is give access to the Owners’ Forum, and while it may be a bit slower paced, does contain a very respectful and thoughtful level of discussion on many topics.

In something like the Technical QA forum, while it might be interesting to know whether the person telling you belt changes are only needed every 20 years is an owner or not, all that would do is alert you never to buy their car. In that context it is pretty easy to decide who to pay attention to and who to ignore.

Finally, the purpose of the Owners’ Forum at its outset was to encourage FChatters to come out from behind their keyboards and meet other FChatters. That’s why the three member or one moderator rule. Rules have even relaxed enough to allow one Sponsor / Supplier for those in more isolated areas.

And finally-finally, as part of my profession I advise clients on fraud prevention strategies, and have seen forged passports, drivers licenses, birth certificates, stock certificates, you name it. Many have fooled the pros. If I wanted, I could email you a scan of a drivers license and registration from any state you wish, proving that my name is Boris Badenov, and I own a 388 GTO. Of course, it would probably be registered in Montana to my LLC Fearless Leader Inc. :cool:

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I agree. But in defense of the system, which is like kissing your sister, there were some pretty elaborate frauds in the early days. However, don’t sweat it. They used to let me in their stupid club. Boring. I mean really boring.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  3. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    yeah but you got access to the owners jet right

Texas Forever and PAP 348 like this.
  4. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Lol, indeed he did! ;)

LARRYH likes this.
  5. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The problem I see is what happens when an "owner" sells or otherwise disposes of his/her Ferrari? Is the person required to notify the moderation staff so that the tag is removed? And if the person doesn't, are the people who vouched for the person obligated to make the notification if they are aware the person no longer owns a Ferrari?

Bob in Makiki likes this.
  6. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    This has me so confused. I believe as Groucho once said, I wouldn’t want to be a member of a club that would have me. But wait, I am not a member of the club so it shouldn’t matter. But wait, I am an owner and so I could be a member. But wait, would they want me to be a member since I am an owner? But wait, would I want them to have me as a member if I was a member since I am an owner? But wait, do I care? I am so confused.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Isn't it ironic that it's easier to register with Ferrari SpA and FCA as an owner than it is on a public message board....just sayin'

timjen88, Marcus01, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  8. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Owner for 6 yrs. Never bothered with a tag update, Does it matter?

9. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Texas Forever and LARRYH like this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  11. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    it would be if it marked the same things, but it does not. Whether we agree with it or not, the owner tag here means you went out and met three other members (or a moderator).

12. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    This post was meant in jest to a point. However, since you brought it up, let me clarify. I have met several people who own Ferraris and I have dealt with many sponsors. Some of them are on FChat I know, but I don't go up to them and say, "nice car...you on FChat??" then beg them to vouch for me. I also have spent countless dollars with sponsors but I also don't feel it's appropriate for me to ask them, hey...since I bought your product, how about vouching for me that I actually own the car that I am spending money on.

When I bought my car, I registered with Ferrari.com and I joined the FCA. They asked for the VIN # of my vehicle and guess what...that was good enough. Do I go out to meet and greets, yea...when I can. However, even though I live in the second largest state and within an hour of the fourth largest city in the country, I don't know every Ferrari owner in the area and I have no plans to seek them out just so I can prove that I own the car. If I run across them, great...we'll have a good time but I'm not going to beg them to vouch for me.

Il Steeg and timjen88 like this.
  13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    You're missing the point.

The owner usergroup signifies that you have access to the owners private forum (while a subscription is active). The owners forum is fully intended to be a social place where owners can interact with other owners to arrange get togethers, attend Ferrari drives, and generally go out of your way to hang out together. As it is a social area, the method of entry is also social (set and voted on by the membership itself, not the mods or admins) - meet up with other people and bring your car for fun. If the method of entry is too arduous for you, or involves other people too much for your comfort, then you wouldn't like the owners forum anyway and you're not missing out on anything.

The tag was not originally intended as a badge of honor, site certification of your ownership, or to lend increased gravitas to your posts elsewhere on the forum. Some people might interpret it that way, but it's not the intent.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Actually, the point I was making was that it is easier to prove membership to Ferrari.com and to FCA which has the some of the same intentions you mentioned such as group meetings, gatherings, social events, and drives. Never once in this post did I state that I wanted to be viewed as a "owner" and I didn't state that the requirements were too arduous or I was somewhat uncomfortable around others. Those are your words. As far as I'm concerned the only people who need to know I own my car is the trooper or police officer approaching me.

Maybe on my next trip to Florida, I'll stop by in Alabama and wave.....

Il Steeg, Boomhauer and Texas Forever like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    And unless things have changed, it was the most boring forum on FerrariChat.

Boomhauer and Ghostdiver like this.
  16. velocegiallo

velocegiallo Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2017
    California
    I totally agree with that sentiment.

Ghostdiver likes this.