How do I launch a 360 Modena F1 (2000)? | FerrariChat

How do I launch a 360 Modena F1 (2000)?

Discussion in '360/430' started by AG1, May 18, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AG1

AG1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Alexander Graah
    Having been very kind to the clutch since I bought the car, I have never actually tried to launch the car for a quick 0-60. How is it done?

/Alex

P.S. I have tried searching the forum but didn't find anything

2. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    that's because the standard 360 doesn't have launch control

3. duskybird

duskybird F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 20, 2007
    29 Electoral Votes
    Full Name:
    Bill B.
    1. Point car in the direction you wish to go

2. Put car in first gear

3. Take your foot off the brake

4. Mash the accelerator pedal

5. Hold on.

6. Enjoy the music

4. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    If you want to see a bunch of tire smoke, you'll need to disable traction control. I did this just once. It was fun, but be careful as the car can get sideways pretty fast. Don't do this in a tight or closed in area... make sure you have room.

5. Derek Trotter

Derek Trotter Formula 3
    BANNED

Jul 28, 2007
    Cambridge, UK
    7. Request a limit increase on your credit card!

Project JF360, Carnut and Nine9Three like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great advice.

That kind of use loosens up a part in the 360 gear box that causes China Syndrome. I make really good money fixing them. It eats a whole pile of parts.

7. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Hi Brian, can you elaborate on this please?

8. julian355

julian355 Karting

Mar 12, 2005
    orange county
    Full Name:
    julian
    I have the same year 360. I put the car in sport mode, then meduim throttle in first and then flat out in other geras!!! Lots of fun with no issues.

9. cookdesk

cookdesk Karting

Oct 17, 2006
    Sydney
    I'm not at home now but I am pretty sure there is something in the manual about how to do this..

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A ring nut comes loose and eliminates all the end play of all the components on one of the shafts. By the time it is symptomatic it is far enough gone we have to cut it all apart to see what we can save.

Very spendy. I support Ferrari burnouts at every possible time.

11. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    brian does the CS fair any better with LC?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It isn't as brutal on the drivetrain (excepting the clutch). LC does not cause the shock and sudden shaft acceleration that side stepping the clutch does and in an F1 just hammering the throttle at idle is just side stepping the clutch.

13. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    That is good to know :D:D:D thanks

14. dan dinardo

dan dinardo Rookie

May 16, 2016
    new york
    Full Name:
    dan dinardo
    in my experience, when starting out in 1st with the f1, you need to blip the throttle to engage the clutch before accelerating to avoid a nasty burnt clutch smell.
    (02 360S, F1)

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Nice first post. You bumped a 9 year old thread.
    But, welcome to Fchat

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  16. NexLevel

NexLevel Karting

Jul 10, 2018
    Full Name:
    Greg Thomas
    Just got my F1 360 last week. Floored it in first at a standstill and all I saw was the RPM goes up to the rev limiter and the clutch started smoking. :(

So just throttle a little before flooring in first?

17. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    This really should be Step 1... not 7...

If you had it at the rev-limiter, car not moving, and clutch smoking, you need to call your CC immediately ;) On a serious note, you may need the F1 settings adjusted. And, I would never just floor an F1 and see what happens... ease into it.

18. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have a 360SMHC if it matters.. (super mega hyper charged)

19. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    There are so many threads here about this so you might want to do a search and do some reading to prolong the life of your clutch as they are not cheap to replace.

I will try and summarize for you.
    • 360 F1 clutch slips a lot (compared to F430 F1)
    • Clutch replacement are very expensive. Between $5K and $9K depending on what other parts needs to be replaced during clutch replacement service.
    • On my 360 Spider I had to replace the clutch at 19K miles as the previous owner was not fully experienced on how to properly drive an F1 so the clutch wore out quickly.
    • Clutch will need to be replaced around 80% wear as the transmission will start popping out of gear uncommanded.
    • To prolong the life of the clutch, never mash the pedal outright. Blip the throttle, wait for the clutch to fully grab (about 4 seconds), once the clutch is fully engaged then go have fun.
    • And by the way, asked by the OP, FYI there is now LC/Launch Control on US version of these cars.
    Hope that helps.

Dan

20. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Ok, this can't be - 4 seconds...? LOL... So, when you start from a red light, it takes you at least 4 seconds to kind of get moving for real? Admittedly, my F1 experience is from 612, 430 Scuderia, and 360 Challenge (race car = different clutch), but none are that lame... You can more or less drive all like a 3-pedal car without much slip, although the 360 Challenge is more of on-off, which is to be expected.

21. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    I personally just select both ASR OFF & SPORT mode ON and then push the throttle all the way to the firewall. Tires are spinning very little at the initial take off but nothing major, no burnout or such, not even the fearsome "burning clutch smell" :D And the car is '01 360 Modena with F1-system with the latest available Transmission Control Unit version (211023).

Factory claims 1/4 mile at 12,7sec - I've managed to do 12,990 with 210 pound mate in the car with me.

Of course the behavior of "race start" may and most likely will vary between the TCU versions.

https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/30/ferrari-360-f1-system/

22. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Go buy a PDK Porsche turbo, you can do it all day and not hurt the car, besides the 360 is not really a 0-60 (look how fast I can go car) car, or for that matter much of a 1/4 miles car either.

23. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Why would you want to do that, knowing all the things that can go wrong and give you a huge repair bill?

Bob in Texas and KC360 FL like this.
  24. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    I launched my stradale once, was amazing at first... lots of glorious engine noise and a tremendous amount of very impressive smoke. All was wonderful until I realized I wasn't moving, and the smoke was all clutch ...

whatheheck and Red 27 like this.