How do I strip my 355 dashboard? | FerrariChat

How do I strip my 355 dashboard?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Skiday, Oct 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Hi

I am sure there is a thread or a 'How To' somewhere, because I'm sure I've read on here someone with the same problem as me in that the ventilation air only comes out of the screen vents no matter where the dial is put. I can remember it being described as a simple problem of the lug that turns the distribution drum of the ventilation distributor being broken. To get to this I need to strip the dash out to get to it (or do I?). Is there a 'how to' someone can point me to please? I also have some 'sticky' dash panel problems that need sorting so this would be a good time to tackle both.

Many thanks

Andrew

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I don't know if you need to remove the dash to get to the distribution hinge, but here is how to remove the dash.

1. Turn OFF the battery
    2. Remove all the sticky vents by pulling straight up and out
    3. From the center vent right side vent, access the tamper-proof bolts (M8) and remove the airbag on the passenger side. Fidget with the connector and invent a few curse words
    4. Remove the steering wheel
    5 Remove the instrument cluster by accessing 2 long screw at the bottom edge of the cluster, unplug all connectors, and lift it out. Some connectors need to be squeezed, some need to be pried
    6. Access 4 or 6 (can't remember) screws holding the dash at the top / front
    7. Access 4 or 8 small bolts holding the dash at the bottom (lying face up under the dash, look up at 2 edges)
    8. Peel back the side kick panel carpet and find 2 large screws (one on each side) and remove those
    9. Disconnect the instrument cables at the center of the dash above the radio, also remove the radio
    10. Pull the dash back 6 inches, access the 6 all nuts holding the top dash to the bottom dash
    11. Separate the top dash from the bottom dash and remove the dash

Have fun. It should take you all morning.

WATSON likes this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You may need to modify this procedure a bit since you have a UK right hand side model. I mean the wrong hand side model.

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    They are one of the easier dash boards to take out, just dont force anything

5. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Yes I do have the steering wheel on the wrong side. It's on the LEFT! There are many reasons, or at least theories, as to why RHD cars on LH driving roads rather than LHD on RH roads are better and safer, but that's a chat for another thread. :)

Any way - I now have the information needed to get the dash out - many thanks for that - but I would like to gather more information about the HVAC unit, how it works and how to repair it before I start, so any help there is appreciated. I suppose it was a mistake not to include that part in the thread title.

Andrew

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #6 johnk..., Oct 28, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    If you have a LHD car then stop here. All you need to do is removed the center and right dash vents. Then removed the airbag. The motor for the directional control can then be removed and tested. It is mounted on the right side of the HVAC distribution box which is just above the radio. 2 screws and a wire connector. No need to remove the dash.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Phew - that's good news. From what I remember from what I read a while back, a motor turns a drum which turns within (or outside of) another drum and this directs the air. When the connector between the motor and the drum breaks the drum falls to the position giving air to the screen only. If anyone knows where that thread is or how to find it that would be great.

8. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Sorry John - I replied before the diagram you included appeared. That's very helpful - thanks

9. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Hi again

Right, I'm looking at the 'tamper-proof' security M8 bolts. Can anyone tell me what key/bit I need to order to undo the bolts please?

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have seen both Allen and Torx tamperproof bolts used in this application. Be sure you are ordering the right one. I, of course, have both.

11. Skiday

Skiday Karting

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    Thanks.
    It is TORX security not Allen. If it is M8 then my Googling shows that it is most likely to be T40. Dave rocks's suggestion goes to T25. I have ordered a set that goes up to T50.

12. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    T40 is the one.