how do i turn [img] code on? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

how do i turn [img] code on?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by robiferretti, Apr 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Not very nice. I can't view pics because I have a MAC and IE isn't supported by Mac anymore!

Thank you Rob. ;)

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Don't mind him Ms. McCloud, the rest of us still love you ;) :D

3. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Thanks. :)

4. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Of course! Time to revive the yellow hotties thread :D

5. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Look there are 3 solutions to this. Either deal with it or we start membership fees or get some Ferrari advertising. Dealers. Mechanics. All sorts of stuff to help with cost. Getting that kind of software isn't cheap. Maintenance alone cost lot of money.

6. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Will do. However I won't be able to view any pics.

7. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Rob already has thought of it. He is implementing membership fee currently and will revoke priviledges for us free loaders starting June I think. You can read about it on General Discussion.

8. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

:D You don't need to view pictures, you have a mirror :D

*Running away before Jeffrey gets here*

9. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer

I'll check it out. Thanks.

10. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
  11. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Hm I don't know how that thread helps Robiferetti. The reason he can't turn it on is what Rob (the owner) said earlier, and the fact that Rob (the owner) does not allow it.

Whether you have Mac or Pc or IE or whatever, on this site you cannot use the code.

:)

12. anotherguy

anotherguy F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2004
    For reference, the Standard edition of the Oracle Database System will run you $15k *per processor.* It doesn't really make a lot of sense to make such a massive investment for an internet bulletin board to discuss cars. Just because someone owns a Ferrari or two, does not neccessarily mean that they have, or are willing to throw $30k at a problem(Assuming dual processor at a minimum), that is in all honesty, caused by something that is already costly to maintain(bandwidth isn't cheap, as I am sure you know all to well) and most likely a pain in the ass to be responsible for(Which is what I would guess caused Rob's enthusiastic response to this thread)

Load balancing and clustering can be done with cheap commodity hardware and open source software (which essentially costs nothing but the bandwidth to download it and the time to jack around with it to get it humming.) Hell, you can even pick up used Cisco Local Directors dirt cheap these days.

Something that people need to remember when they are telling Rob how to run the place is that, he has been extremely generous in providing a place for everyone to bs the work day away, talk cars, women, watch Allen attack NNO, etc. with a group of largely like minded people. He can do whatever the hell he wants with it, including shutting it down tomorrow if he gets tired of people giving him **** for the decisions he has made in how to run his site. Although I think he views it more as the community's site, he just happens to be the guy who has been footing the bill and dealing with the crap that no one else even hears about...

~5000 members means there are atleast 1000 who assume that they are entitled to the service this site offers and which will ***** til the sun comes up if something isn't to their personal liking. Not a fun thing to deal with.

-ag

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Well, vB boards that have stored the images in databases start to have problems at 1 gig. That's why I've just been storing the images in a directory structure, there's not any history of that causing problems no matter how big it gets.

The bottom line is right now we're not having performance problems. With 250 users online at a time at any point during the day our load averages are always below 2. I'm already designing and working with my host on the next server(s). If/when the day comes the current policies can't be technically supported, then I will change my policies. I will do everything I can to keep bad references away from our archives. I think it's a huge benefit to users of FerrariChat.com that I'm doing this. No worries about loosing any of the hard work they put into dialogues and write-ups.

We had thumbnail functionality to allow larger images if you wished to view. However, there were many complaints and less browser compatibility with thumbnails. Users want to see the 640 image vs. a thumbnail. If there's a particular photo you want to see higher resolution, then email/PM the users for it.

Simple. I love this topic as no one has been able to rebut me yet. :D

14. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Rob
    I appreciate this is your board and your rules, but I can't agree with this statement. The board is so slow as to be unusable at times.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This would have to be mostly a problem on your end as I don't have problems from work or home or even on my 140k wireless. For a couple days a few weeks ago we had higher load averages because our accelerator software had gone down, but that's fixed now. No one even noticed or at least said anything about it. By end of summer we'll be on multi processor sever(s).

What happens when a referenced image is on a 486 dial up in some high schools kids closet?

One architecture we're looking at is having the search process run on another server. A search takes many times the resources as several 640 pixel images.

16. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Rob
    Much of the time the site is great, probably because of the time difference I tend to be on here when you guys are sleeping, but sometimes its not the best. I have a cable connection at home and multiple OC3's at work. When the server starts slowing down I usually jump on to either the MB World or Speedzilla sites with no issues.
    I'm not complaining, just informing. Most people won't bother saying anything about poor performance on a Forum, because it is generally expected on more popular sites. In any event the standard response to most complaints is "out of the goodness of our hearts we provide this service, if you don't like it don't come here", or a variation.

17. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hmm I disagree with Stephen.

I am also on speedzilla/club desmo/nsx prime and a host of other sites. I would say F chat is always fast on my T3. I have never had a problem and it has never slowed down for me.

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I do have one idea what it may be. I run many of the automated "maintenance/clean up" processes early in the morning CST when we have the least amount of users. Do you mind figuring out what time CST(Texas time) you have the slowness? It very well may be when those jobs are running, they are very resource intensive. I might be able to spread them out more. Thanks.

19. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Rob
    I am experiencing problems with the site at around 2.00am in the morning, it's 5.00 in the afternoon over here.

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, 2-3 am CST is when those jobs are running, so that may be the problem. I'll look at spreading them out, although that is the time the site has the least traffic.

21. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    That's cool, I'll just skip the site betwen 5 and 6pm. Thanks for the heads up.

22. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    I can see pictures now!
    Nenernenernener :D

Woo Hoo :D

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003