How do lap timers work? | FerrariChat

How do lap timers work?

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by tifosi12, Mar 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I read that the 599 as well as the Lexus LFA are equipped with lap timers.

How do they work?
    What do they use for a s/f line? Does the driver set the starting point and then the car will use the GPS' coordinates to remember that?
    Are they accurate?
    Are they available as 3rd party installations?

2. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    IIRC, my old 599 I had a simple stopwatch type lap timer. Great idea, but a GPS based system would be even better.

3. vm3

vm3 Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    California
    The best solution is the iPhone lap timer app that works with the GPS and G meter in the iPhone.

4. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    almost certainly, there is a button the driver pushes to take a lap time.

5. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    #5 tifosi12, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
    Wow, that's disappointing and lacks any precision.

That sounds more like it.

Why isn't a GPS based solution the standard?

Did I just stumble upon a niche market?

6. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "Did I just stumble upon a niche market?"

Andreas, there are many GPS based systems used in all levels of racing. Here's another one:

http://store.traqmate.com/

I thought it was great that Ferrari included a lap timer in the 599, and would love to see even more data available. Why not have a data option that includes the type of driver and car information available from inexpensive GPS based systems? Cars like the Scuderia and 599 GTO should have such an option, and I think buyers would pay up for it.

Other IMO more sophisticated systems are made by people like Pi (now owned by Cosworth) and MoTeC.

8. mousecatcher

mousecatcher Formula 3

Dec 18, 2007
    san mateo, ca
    eh, well it's a street car not a race car. when i'm on track in the race car my mechanic's stopwatch time is always within a tenth of the actual time. good enough.

9. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yep. The Race Technology unit was the first reasonable GPS solution, followed by the Traqmate. Most of the beacon systems (Pi, Stack, AIM, MM) have added GPS functionality to remove the requirement for the beacon.

I think a Porsche style chronometer is good enough jsut for lap times, but why stop there? ;)

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
  11. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    360 Challenge and 430 Challenge use Magneti Marelli timing system. Porsche 997 Carrea Cup uses Motec system.

Both are infrared beacon + receiver based.

12. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #13 ProCoach, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
    Yes originally, but MoTeC now offers this GPS add-on for the ADL2 on the later Cup cars:
    http://store.gormanms.com/GPS-G1-GPS-Receiver.html

Magnetti Marelli now offers the GIP-220 GPS add-on module.

Beacons are so old-fashioned! :)

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  14. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I got robbed then. :D

I just took delivery of the new 2010 spec Cup car two weeks ago. Car has the ADL2 logger but still uses the beacon. I ordered the only logger upgrade available which was expanded memory, steering & brake sensors. PCC Asia even had the Motec Australia tech at Sepang test days for tutorials. No mention of GPS. That would have been a nice option to generate more accurate track maps than using accelerometer data.

I think all Cup cars are the same spec world wide, but I could be wrong. :)

15. Fred2

Fred2 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 2, 2005
    nj
    #16 Fred2, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Yes, I think you're right about the PCC cars.

Here it is on MoTeC's AU site...

http://www.motec.com.au/gpsg1/gpsg1overview/

17. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Thanks for the tip. I'll check with PCCA if GPS is allowed in the series. Would love to have it.

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wonder whether these online lap timers will eventually pose a problem for track insurance: Wherever I lapped, it was always a big nono to time any laps as not to give drivers an incentive to go faster. All the timing I did of my own laps was in the aftermath by measuring the videos of the laps. These devices obviously change all that.

19. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Not true. The wording is "timed event," which implies that the organization holding the event provides a timing service and that those times (ostensibly to rank participants by comparative and public performance) is posted and shared.

I've been through this a great deal with marque club track days for over a decade. There was no such fuss when the old "Hot Lap" infrared beam in-car timers came out and briefly were the rage. With P-cars now arriving with an OEM timer operable from the wheel and the display on the dash, this would gut one of the more popular pursuits with these cars.

Again, my clarification from Naughton, K&K, et al, was that the "timed event" descriptor referred to an organized and organizer supplied timing component (Time Trials, Solo 1, road racing) for public posting and NOT towards the in-car, individual and not-able-to-be-communally-shared-until-after-the-fact component.

20. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I hear you and that's good news.

I'm still wondering whether some insurance company might use that as a loophole to wiggle out of paying when something bad happens?

21. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I've used Garmin Forerunner http://sites.garmin.com/forerunner110/ in several contexts now:
    - tracking horse movements overnight - where DOES he spend his time at 2am? (GREAT battery life!)
    - under leathers for data logging on motorcycle track days
    - and yes.. lap timing in cars lol.

Don't forget most GPS, including Garmin & iPhone are your standard 1Hz unit which means 1 sample per second so you need proper software to interpolate to give precise lap times when moving fast!

If you look at GPS used in most Pro situations, such as Motec, it's 5Hz acquisition for track mapping, lap timing etc and of course software to match.