How Do People React to Your Ferrari...? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Do People React to Your Ferrari...?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 365boy, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >Oh, forgot about those at the beach this past summer. Fortunately i am single so please
    >feel free to pass party info and phone numbers my way. Am one of those guy who is always, eh hem, up for a good time :)

a girl who is flashing breasts etc because of a ferrari may give you more than a good time,
    am not suggesting that spending time with a girl who is flashing breasts etc would be a good time necessarily.

>Female under 10: "Horsey on car!"

makes you wonder what the older females think of _you doesn't it

<insert M-Man's Flashing Boob Girl Here>
    >Guess my "fun gal" will spank me for it... ;-)

I had asked you before - do you feel that the principal male occupation is the oldest profession?

apropos silly reactions

mb suv turning left in front of me. mother + daughter (approx 45 and 20, i'm 28).
    they stop next to me. stand up to look ...

me: yeeees ?
    they: smiiiiiiiiiles
    me: looked at the daughter ... then at the mother + slight laugh (as in mothers can be 'funnnnnny') ... vzooooom

>The worst reaction I experienced with my 360 Modena is this:
    >
    >I was pumping my own gas in Long Island and some lowlifes drove by in their pick-up truck and stopped, then screamed
    >...."What...you couldn't afford a Lamborghini?!?" and then peeled out. LOL

nice.

rather bizarre - others actually see the 'car' more than we do
    but we 'feel' it more than they do. for example watching my mechanic
    drive the car inside the shop was superb, as i had never seen
    it from outside, moving, away ... it looked different, better

best reactions have been in my alfa (likely because girls like it more)

best one:

gas station - 63 year old woman exits a lrg lincoln.

she: it is a beautiful car. just beautiful. ... i would like to drive a car like this before i die ...
    it's perfect!! just perfect!!

was with my gf which may explain the sincerity. she didn't drive manual else i would have let her drive,
    but we gave her a ride around the block. def the most beautiful and meaningful comment.

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    This thread reminded me of a couple of funny recations that occured a few months ago in E. Stroudsburg, PA. My wife and I took the Mondial to an antiques shop and I parked in the handicapped spot . Yes, i'm legit. After I finished looking for Hot Wheels :) , I went back outside and sat on a bench near the car.

One guy was really irritated that a Ferrari was in the handicapped spot. He said something to his wife like , "Look what's in the handicapped spot. That guts got a lot of nerve". This reaction taught me two things. First,some people assume that Ferrari owners are arrogant and believe they can park anywhere. Secondly, if you're handicapped, you shouldn't be driving a Ferrari. :)

An elderly couple came along and the husband says , "Look. there's a Ferrari." He had to point it out to his wife who then sais, "I don't like the way it looks." "I don't either" , said the husband, "You think for $200,000 they could make it look better." Another lesson learned. Some people believe that all Ferraris are new and cost $200,000.

Next time you park your Ferrari , move a distance away and just check out the reactions. It's interesting what people will say about your car when they believe the owner isn't around.

Tom
    '

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ontogenetik,

>>>I had asked you before - do you feel that the principal male occupation is the oldest profession?<<<

Doesn't it make you wonder why it is called the "oldest profession"? Marketing experts say "sex sells". Yes there is more to life, yet billions of satisfied "customers" can't be wrong... can they?

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

4. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I know of 6 new F-cars 360s and 550s in my area however they sit in their garage.I drive mine most every week end and get all thumbs up from the ricers and local young people.The cops came to my home during one of our monthly pool blasts last summer to turn her down a notch, and saw my 512TR in the garage,I guess she has been quite the buzz among the local police clan.You know small town USA where people ask how much,what year, how fast, I could write a book of questions,most of which are harmless, however have little to do with our passion for cars, I guess It comes with the territory.

5. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I had a similar experience. I was driving my 911 Carrera in NYC one day.
    A bra-less woman in a skimpy t-shirt was walking down the street and when our eyes met she lifted her shirt and gave me a bird's eye view of her ample breasts. I was impressed, (my wife less so).

6. sandersja

sandersja Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Portland OR
    Full Name:
    John Sanders
    Seeing the varied reactions has been one of the interesting aspects of driving a Ferrari. When I drive in the various P-cars that my friends have, I never detect any particular notice from the General Public.

Driving the Ferrari really makes you aware of the proportion of the general population who can be classed as Car People. Some people just don't even notice, and probably don't even care. However, a large proportion will turn and watch the car, and many are not even really aware they are doing it. Of course there is also a lot of people who really pay attention and all of their expressed reactions have been positive. This is while driving an argento Ferrari, which I expected to attract less attention than a rosso car.

Kinda of made me think of what it must be like to be a girl with big tits. Even wearing a heavy sweater, you probably get a similar amount of head-turning.

7. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    LOL!! So... :D

=== Driving a Ferrari is... like having big tits. ===

;) LOL.

8. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I can second this. I get very few head turns in my 911. I think, given the same basic look for several decades, coupled with the abundant sales of the look-alike Boxster the last few years, Porsche has lost any sense of novelty or exotic-ness... they have established a very distinct look... everyone knows a Porsche when they see one... but they've seen so many, they don't really care if they miss seeing another one.

OTOH, my slightly modified BMW M3 gets way more looks. BMW has a distinctive look... and they are very common... but the M3 is enough different that it attracts attention. Probably 5x the attention as the 911.

The 360 is another 3x beyond the M3... less than 2x more people look... but you get 4x stronger reaction from them (big thumbs ups, giddy smiles, pointing, etc.).

9. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#34 maranelloman, Dec 1, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I've gotten the middle finger on two different occasions while driving my car. I know it wasn't a result of aggressive driving because I was going about 25 MPH. Overall though, I've had mostly good reactions.

11. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I usually get 3 reactions from John Q Public:

-Is that a James Bond car?
    -They don't make them like that anymore....
    -Cool, a car seat in a Ferrari !

Picture enclosed for refererence, with a silver Aston Martin DB5 as a comparo).

I usually do not explain how much it cost, or what it takes to upkeep. I live in an area where a 911 is as common as a Camaro and kids get M3s for graduation gifts. But most would be surprised that my 40 year old cost less than their brand new car.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I had a "special Kid" stop me on the way into the grocery store,
    to say he knew me.

He was so excited to recognize me, from the Art Car parade.

After exchanging a few words with him and his family, I was at a loss for words when my cell phone started ringing.

Made me think a long time about my three kids, and what we hold as important in life.

I actually have lots more trouble from Mustang drivers, rather than Z28s. ALL those Mustang drivers want to race! LOL. But they are still FORDs!

13. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    On my first test drive of an F40, Two young boys driving a raised pick up truck yelled out "Small Penis"
    When I trailered my car from Washington to California in an open trailer, In Washington, it got the kids plastered against the windows, Girls smiling, Boys with big thumbs up and people wanting to take pictures with it when we stopped for gas.
    In Oregon it went pretty much unnoticed. Kinda wierd....
    Driving the car in California I have to be very careful not to change lanes into someone driving in my blind spot checking it out. Even if I drive 20mph over the speedlimit, something is right there. Sort of a pain.

Rick

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    [

Next time you park your Ferrari , move a distance away and just check out the reactions. It's interesting what people will say about your car when they believe the owner isn't around.

Tom
    '[/QUOTE]

Tom, I have wondered if I should tell this story here, but I think it's cute so I will. I never even told Jack Gillis. Two years ago, I went on a Ferrari drive in my Lotus with fellow members here. I met Jack with his beautiful 328 by a 7-11 store and we parked side by side. My son had to pee, and Jack let him use the bathroom in his apartment. I stayed outside guarding his dog and the cars.

Presently, two gentlemen walked up and started admiring both cars. I just sat, and after a few minutes one of them started asking about the Europa. I said it was mine, and he was all over it asking questions, totally ignoring the Ferrari. After a while, I thanked him for being so interested in my car but how could he ignore this wonderful Ferrari? He replied, "Oh, the Europa is so rare; a classic. EVERYONE has a Ferrari!!"
    I laughed so hard I thought I'd die.

Ken

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Back to the original subject and post.....

I have driven Porsches on a daily basis, they do get some attention but not a lot. The older P-cars get more. My '69 911S does get a fair number of comments from car people.

The Daytona doesnt really get all that much attention from the general public. 90% of the people out there have no idea what it is. The other 10% usually has a pretty vocal and positive response with about 5% basically flipping out they are so excited to see one. Overall however, the Daytona gets about the same amount of notice as my 911S.

Now the 308GTB is an entirely different ball game. EVERYONE seems to notice and comment. At gas stations is can draw a crowd. The reation is pretty much positive, and folks are shocked to see the antique car plates. They cant believe its 25 years old. Everyone thinks is new, cost $150K and will go 200mph. The 308 gets so much attention and notice... thats one reason I will probably sell it!

If someone is getting a Ferrari simply to get noticed and draw attention.... get a 308. I would imagine a red 308GTS is about the most attention grabbing Ferrari ever made when your talking about the general public.

Terry

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I think most all the basic public reactions to one's Ferrari, whether new, old, v12, v8, or whatever have been touched upon. Unnoted, however are reactions from immediate family. The first day I brought my car home, my wife said it was CUTE! And, to add insult to injury, another very close female family member said it was JUST PRECIOUS! when I brought it over to show to her fellow car nut husband.

17. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Relative's reactions are a mix bag for me. But, surprisingly, none were negative about it. Also, a few were "closet carnuts" until they saw my car.

18. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    Best reaction I've got is when a guy pulled up next to my Daytona, lowered his window and asked: "Will you marry me?"

Rijk

19. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

Tom, I have wondered if I should tell this story here, but I think it's cute so I will. I never even told Jack Gillis. Two years ago, I went on a Ferrari drive in my Lotus with fellow members here. I met Jack with his beautiful 328 by a 7-11 store and we parked side by side. My son had to pee, and Jack let him use the bathroom in his apartment. I stayed outside guarding his dog and the cars.

Presently, two gentlemen walked up and started admiring both cars. I just sat, and after a few minutes one of them started asking about the Europa. I said it was mine, and he was all over it asking questions, totally ignoring the Ferrari. After a while, I thanked him for being so interested in my car but how could he ignore this wonderful Ferrari? He replied, "Oh, the Europa is so rare; a classic. EVERYONE has a Ferrari!!"
    I laughed so hard I thought I'd die.

Ken[/QUOTE]

LOL Ken.
    I've always loved the Europa. Basically a go-kart with a body ---- and just as light. Does yours have the Renault or Ford Twin Cam ?

Tom

20. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley

And your answer was -- ? ;)

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No, a yellow one gets even MORE attention! LOL

World's Fastest Art Car, as seen in Cavallino #133.

22. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    LOL Ken.
    I've always loved the Europa. Basically a go-kart with a body ---- and just as light. Does yours have the Renault or Ford Twin Cam ?

Tom[/QUOTE]

My Europa TC has the TC engine. Ford block, aluminum Lotus DOHC head. A hemi BTE, LOL. The S1 and S2 have the underpowered Renault engines. While mine isn't exactly a straight line rocket, it gets the job done in a very enjoyable way!

23. STEEDA30

STEEDA30 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Atlanta(Vinings),Ga.
    Full Name:
    Rick Charles
    Hehe, talking about Mustang owners always wanting to race. Whenever I'm cruising and see a Ferrari or other exotic I'll give a thumbs up, smile and nod usually. I am probably one of the few teens who don't try to race but rather just cruise in the slow lane. When I'm at a gas station and one happens to pull in, or is already there I'll smile and comment on it. I don't bother the owner much unless I see he isn't in a hurry or if there isn't anyone else around. One time there was a red '97 550 Maranello at the gas station with a good amount of people and a few kids talking with the owner and gawking at it. I could tell he was getting a little tired of all the attention so I just smiled at him and kind of chuckled. I get a lot of comments at gas stations and stoplights from people wanting to know what "Steeda" is and other comments, 90% are positive. The attention one gets with a Ferrari has to be crazy! I'm always just in awe when I see one though because I appreciate it a more than just the general public. I'm aware of the craftsmanship, racing heritage and passion for performance that Ferrari has symbolized over the years, it is a lot more than just a "nice car".

24. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    On Tuesday of this week I was gettting gas. We were being hit with a snow squall and there was snow swirling all around. I looked up and saw a guy just standing there staring at the Ferrari. I said "Hi" and he asked, "Are you crazy to be driving a Ferrari in the snow?" I responded that it would stop snowing in a few minutes and that , yes, I had been told that may be crazy. We talked until I finished filling up. Pleasant conversation.

On Thursday i'm filling up at the same station when a guy in a U-Haul truck struck up a conversation. "What year is it ?" "I didn't know any Ferraris had back seats". That type of thing. While i'm talking to him a guy that was filling his Land Rover came over and asked how I liked the Mondial. He proceeded to tell me he had a 360 spider and had just taken delivery on a 575. All the while the 1st guy is walking around the car and saying "Wow". Really nice people. It made my day.

Tom

25. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    best reactions have been in my alfa (likely because girls like it more)

best one:

gas station - 63 year old woman exits a lrg lincoln.

she: it is a beautiful car. just beautiful. ... i would like to drive a car like this before i die ...
    it's perfect!! just perfect!!

was with my gf which may explain the sincerity. she didn't drive manual else i would have let her drive,
    but we gave her a ride around the block. def the most beautiful and meaningful comment.[/QUOTE]

I love this story. It is people like you who give car people a good name. I would have done the same thing, it would feel good to give someone that thrill.

I love this thread, btw, it makes me fell better about my ecentual purchase of a Ferrari. People's reactions to the car has been (though it is silly of me to worry about it) one of my concerns, especially my family's potential reaction. I fear they will think I am an idiot for spending precious resources on such a frivolous thing.

I figure I need to live my life. If the Ferrari is a mistake, than so be it, but I want to experience it.

I qoute:

"Enjoy the Drive"