How Do People React to Your Ferrari...? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How Do People React to Your Ferrari...?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 365boy, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Just remember the "depreciation" argument.
    Having money tied up in a car is not an expense... depreciation is... and Ferraris depreciate waayyyy slower than many "cheaper options". In about half the cases, you can cut them to the quick...

Well, actually, my Ferrari will cost me less than that Ford Expedition will cost you... or that Porsche Cayenne... or whatever... easy argument if they bought their car new and you bought your Ferrari used.

Sometimes Ferraris even appreciate... but, on average, they depreciate very slowly compared to most cars. [A true statement... though, admittedly, slightly distorted by the fact that Ferraris are, on average, driven much fewer miles.]

That usually shuts them up real quick. FWIW.

2. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003

a few months ago I was at the Ko'olina GC with my dad. i was waiting for him to get out of the proshop when i saw a purple lambo sv pull up. i was sitting in awe waiting to see who drove it and where he put his golf bag. out pops this guy, looked like he was in his late 70s, maybe even 80s, and out from the other scissor style door is his wife, also about that age. yes, they did park in the handicap stall, but they seemed legit too. they didn't have any golf clubs with them, but it was expected seeing as how they showed up in a lambo.

3. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Last year, when i met my present girlfriend at a party, we stepped outside to have a smoke. right outside the house was a red NSX, and she looks at the NSX and says 'geez, who in the world would drive a ferrari to a party'. My black 308 was parked just a few cars up the street, and when we got to my car, she didnt even recognize it as a ferrari, and asked what kind of car it was. i told her it was a honda.

4. PSP

PSP Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2001
    Lake Forest, CA USA
    Full Name:
    Patrick S. Perry
    When my sister-in-law found out that we were getting the TR, she was heard to say "What are they going to do - sleep in the back seat?"

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth

LOL; should have said an Accura but close enough!!!

6. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua

Bwahahhhahaha.....was she embarassed later on when she figured it out?

7. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I was driving today at lunch with my 328 and my old boss with his Pantera. It put a lot of big smiles on people's faces. In a 10 minute drive, 2 people asked me to roll down my window so they could say hi. :)

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Then theres the reaction I get to my 512TR track car. Most people's jaw just drops :) Its a "Holy Sheet" reaction LOL

9. Red348

Red348 Guest

Best reactions were:

When a guy driving a Prosche 996 was admiring my 348. Asked if he could take a look inside and admitted a Ferrari was "everyones" dream car.

Was walking around the car park with my little boy while my wife nipped in to get some groceries. Guy in Cadillac drives in with his wife and young son and began admiring the car for sevearl minutes. I kept a safe distance away so as to not scare them off.

My son (now 5) asked me if I could not drive the Ferrari please as he wanted it saved for when he was older. I was shocked.

Worst reactions:

Guys in SUV's trying to run you over in traffic or kids trying to race you.

But mostly good reactions.

10. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    Same here, just about every kid in Miami wants to race when your at a light, and let loose a "spray" of thier nitrous.I just laugh, but the girlfriend can't keep her eyes off my 308, at which point the kid gets pissed at her and takes off. Pretty funny. I've been next to cars like Vipers, AMG, Porsche Turbos, but it's my car the people go gaga over.Kids are especially great, telling the parents to slow down to see the car.If I'm stopped somewhere and a kid and his parent are admiring the car, I'll tell the kid if he wants to sit in the drivers seat,his eyes bug out,I remember how I was as a kid so I get a kick out of it.

11. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    "How Do People React to Your Ferrari...?"

They say, "It sure looks like a Saab."

12. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I was stopped at a gas station when another car pulled up and and a young guy gets out. Well, he can't believe he is looking at a Ferrari. But he had one of the new cell phones that take pictures. So, he starts taking a bunch of pictures. Finally I ask him if he would like me to take a picture of him by the car. He just about lost it. He could not hand me his cell phone fast enough. He showed me what to do and I took his picture. I don't know who had more fun.

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    One of my best experiances was when I was at a gas station filling up. There was a group of mentally challenged kids that pulled up in a couple of vans. Most of them didn't have a clue as to what the car was. But this one kid made a bee line right for my car as soon as he got out of the van. The first thing he asked me was "It that a real Ferrari?" I replied yes. He asked if he could see the engine and I happily showed him. He just kept walking around the car staring at it. Just before I left I asked him if he wanted to go for a ride. He got so excited. I asked one of the people that was there looking after the group if it would be okay. This guy was pleading with them to let him go. They were kind of reluctant, so I told them that I would only go down the block. They agreed and I took him for a little spin. The smile on this guys face could have lit up Dodger sadium. He just kept say "WOW, OH BOY, OH BOY!" When I turned around to go back, I got on it pretty good through 1st, 2nd and part of 3rd, he was yelling "YEAAAAAH". I slowed down before we got to the station again. I was so gratifying to give that kid a ride. It made both of our days.

14. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I was doing my usual very slow cruise down our street full of kids - as I rounded the corner a little boy who couldn't have been more than six yrs. old couldn't keep his eyes off my car and gave me a huge thumbs up and grin. Maybe for a bright red 360 with mag wheels and enameled
    horse shields but for an old, slightly dull silver 330 2+2?

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I remember when I was about 10 & totally car crazy, still am. So everytime I see some little kids pointing & gawking by the side of the road I honk at them or rev the engine a little :)

16. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Tom,
    A Customer of mine had a similar situation. He parked his F355 F1 in a hadicapped parking spot, and on his return, there was a guy standing there looking at the car looking disturbed. Not knowing my customer had a prosthetic (sp?) leg, he started telling him how it was rude and yadi yada yada, so as he sat in the car, he took off the leg and waived it at him as he drove away.

17. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Sometimes it seems the humble Mondial couldn't get any more attention if it were an Enzo. Despite the detractors among the ranks of the initiated, the unwashed masses think it's cool. Still, I don't even TELL anyone at work I have one. Like other people have mentioned, they assume this is a $100K or more luxury, and a bunch of othet things that are not positive. For those people I do tell, sort of a jaw drop double take thing. They do have a hard time processing how cheap my particlular model is. All they know is "Ferrari?!.. wow"

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Branko, loved your story.

When I get a teenager or pre-teen who drools over my car, I usually offer to let them sit in it. If they really show appreciation, I give them a memento, one of the red 308GTS Hotwheels packs I always keep in my car (I've built up a good supply over the last 10 years).

19. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That's a great idea!

20. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    LOL. Though not as visually dramatic as your customer's situation, my stroke of two years ago left my right leg and arm pretty weak. I tell people that the Mondial is the latest in rehabilitation. ITALIAN THERAPY. :)

Tom

21. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

This couldn't make me happier. Thanks for posting.

22. Lee-'78_308

Lee-'78_308 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2003
    Maryville, TN
    Full Name:
    Gary Lee Pierce
    It's funny. I don't think of myself as being the 308's owner. I think of myself more as its steward, quietly and consistently working to keep it at its best for the current and next generation to appreciate. Meanwhile, I get to drive it any time I want!

Great thread! I have many similar stories.

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I took my cousin, a conservative Dr & married father of 2 for a ride in the 512TR road car. He was saying its just TOO much, too loud, too flashy, too fast for him. He likes it though, I think he is more a 456 kind of guy

24. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    i live on long island and there are lots of snobs. they pretend not to look or care(not that i do) but i always catch them after i pass by. kids are great because they haven't been corrupted yet. when they ask me if its real i give them a good rev and they know.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Two friends of mine each have Daytonas...for the most part Daytonas are benignly dismissed by the ingnorant....(I think people mistake them for Datsun 240Z's..) and those that do recognize them, gush "head over heels"...

I have rarely had anyone say much negative toward me....usually "ricers" in some souped up Toyota Supra with some off the cuff remark....the classic was some rag-tag looking college student who walked by me as I was helping my girlfriend into my 328 and he says "nice red penis"....WTF? :)

I just ignored him, as I go to great lengths to show my car to strangers if they ask questions and such. I always let kids get behind the wheel to take a picture of themselves, if I have the time.