How Do People React to Your Ferrari...? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How Do People React to Your Ferrari...?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 365boy, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Testacojones

>My Testarossa is a ***** magnet,

What does that make you?

>sometimes I score easily.

What does "scoring" people make people?

Repetition teaches people - What does that make you?

2. Steve Darrah

Steve Darrah Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Midlothian, Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stephen C. Darrah
    I was at a rest stop with my 550 on I-95 taking a break in Virginia when a guy walked over, looked at the car for a minute and said,"I saw that pony on the back and was wondering if this is one of those new Mustangs?"

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Steve, apparently a lot of Ferrari owners here that comment... i've seen that posted here plenty of times before...

How do people react to MY Ferraris...?

Well, if they're fellow enthusiasts, they walk in my apartment, see the model collection and comment... If they're not enthusiasts, they're usually taken aback in disbelief... After all, i own 18 (1:18) Ferraris... :)

4. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Lots of people say that's happened to them. Why does the general public think Ford is making some kind of exotic looking Mustang? And don't you think maybe Ford SHOULD make an exotic looking Mustang???? There seems to be a huge demand for one!!

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, why, so those same people can walk up to the owner of the exotic-looking Mustang and say, "Whoa, is that a new Ferrari...?!?" :)

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Nobody has Ever mistaken my 512TR for a friggin Mustang LOL

7. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    That is just so very cool. :)

Great thread.

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    No, but I bet Alan would **** if someone asked him what kind of Ferrari his Lambo is! LOL

9. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've had the "mustang" question asked about my TR 3 times in the past year. All by the female persuasion who obviously didn't know cars very well. But the last time I didn't have the nerve to argue....cuz this girl was quite pretty....you know how it goes. I'm filling up at a station as these two girls pull in next to me, both staring intensely at the TR. The driver gets out and walks around to the rear and sees the prancing horse....here is how it went:
    Girl: Is that the new mustang their gonna make?

Me: What tipped you off?

Girl: The horse on the back. My brother is a Ford fanatic and is going to die when I tell him I got to see the new Mustang!

Me: Shhhhhhhh....I'm not supposed to talk about it.

Girl: What's it got for a motor?

Me: A 12 cylinder engine.....

Girl: I didn't know Ford was gonna make a 12 cylinder....oh my god wait till my brother hears this....he's gonna freak!!

Me: I'm sorry but I really can't talk about it.....

Girl: I understand you have your orders....we gotta get home and tell my brother....

Me: He may say your full of crap but you can say you seen it with your own eyes.....don't let him tell you different!

I can only imagine the argument that ensued.....I just couldn't help myself.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!

11. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    I was in my 360 modena and I had one GUY ask me if that was the new Mustang. I guess cuz he saw the Cavallino horse on my challenge grill.

12. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL Carguy, your a baaaaaaaad man, hahaha.

13. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    I never saw Allan's post thanking you for the ride. Did you ever find out where the lambo owners club was going that day?
    T

Seriously, that was a great gesture in contrast to some owners who don't even want to answer questions about their rides. Good for you. And to Allan nothing personal but you just about represent lamborghini here.

14. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Wm, MCharness above passes out Hotwheels when kids drool over his car. Maybe you should consider Kraft singles? :)

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Maybe I'll set up a little tablecloth on the rear with a cheese grater & some yummy cheese :) I could serve fondue & heat it up by using the V12 to melt the Cheese LOL

16. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Carguy,

Very good!

I hope you don’t mind if I borrow your response, if I am lucky enough to get asked that same question. Only problem is, not too many Mustangs here in Australia.

Steve

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ive never had anyone mistaken my Lambo for a Ferrari, but i have had people think the 348 and 355 are a Fiero, and most recently, in Hawaii, in the 355, "Nice Porsche" comments.

18. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I've had the usual assortment of questions: "Is it real?", "How fast does it go?", "Is that a 'Magnum' car?". I've heard passers-by describe my 328 as "a Tester Rosser".

The reactions that stand out:

1) The first time I drove the 328 to work, a millwright stomped over and demanded to know how I could afford "a better car than the CEO drives". I reminded him that the CEO drives a Buick, and everybody has a better car. ;)

2) After that reaction, I was worried that I'd be in for a security audit. But a guy in the security office was looking at a Mondial, so he knew the right value of the car.

3) Kids (and not only kids) always want me to "light 'em up". I either ignore this, or ask them if they know what a set of tires cost.

4) I had a "Special Edition" Ford Excursion in front of me, obviously weaving at low speed, just to annoy the "rich b*st*rd" in the Ferrari. I wondered what they'd think if they knew I paid less for the 328 than the sticker on that SUV.

But the weirdest one:

I dusted off the old Alfa Spider and drove it to work. Another millwright asked if I traded in the Ferrari on "another exotic". Huh?!

(Despite 24 years of parking lot dings, the Alfa is still more of a "chick magnet" than the Ferrari.)

19. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Back in 02 by cousin was driving the Countach & I was driving the 512TR, we went to a Sushi restaurant & the Chef & waiters came out for a look, they enjoyed the cars. Then we rolled into a gas station & the teenager at the counter looked like his eyes were about to pop out of his head :) Went to a few car shows together too.

20. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    In slightly less than one year of ownership I have experienced many of the same things as mentioned above, except have not had any flashing of breasts in my direction. Infact, the car seems to attract the attention of men more than women.
    The best reactions I have observed occured one night when I took my kids for ice cream. We were sitting on a bench outside the ice cream place and were about 20 feet away from my car. It was a beautiful night so there were many people walking through the town, so I was in a position to observe and overhear many comments/reactions without the people knowing who the owner was. There were people who were "experts" and could spew out incredible information about my car to their friends. One guy told his "party" that my car was an entry level ferrari (this caught my attention because I thought he might actually know something), then went on to say that it cost "a quarter of a million dollars" , had something like 1000HP and could go over 200 mph in under 6 seconds. Wow!!! I should have seen if he wanted to buy it!
    A kid stopped and was telling his mom that this was a ferrari, but not a real one. Another guy stopped and was just yelling "testarossa" and pointing to his friends. Then another older fellow stops and curiously walks over to read the hood emblem. I could see his mouth sounding out the word "fer- rar-i". After he "gets it" , he lightly slaps his hand on his face and stands there with his mouth open. All of this occured in less than 15 minutes. As we were getting into the car to leave, one last guy comes up and asks me "what kind of mustang is this?". I smiled and answered him, "an Italian one".

21. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    "An Italian one." I like that.

Rob, this thread gets my vote as "Best Thread Ever."
    None has brought as many smiles to my face.
    Almost as good as taking the F-car out for a drive. Almost. ;)

22. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Gotta agree, this is one EXCELLENT thread.
    Even though I've owned my 328 for seveal years, I would still stop wherever I am & watch a Ferrari drive all the way down the street. These are just magnificent Italian art on wheels, as well as incredible perfomers.
    Since I get such joy out of seeing a Ferrari, I love giving that same pleasure to others. It is tremendous fun to see the heads swivel & get the thumbs up & whoops & hollers.
    Very many folks have said that seeing it made their day.
    In my area, even the soccer moms seem to appreciate it. One of the most fun things I've seen was when a mom & her young guy, about 8 or 9, saw it & she asked if he come over & look at it. When I let him even sit in it, the appreciation on her face was a wonderful thing to behold.
    This very appreciation from kids is a great vehicle (pun intended) to promote doing well in school & getting a good job. This is a great opportunity to tell them that if they work hard in school & life, and really want one, they WILL have one some day.

23. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great post, Ed!

24. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    There is a stigma with Ferrari ownership, both good and bad. First off, my wife couldn't have been happier for me, seeing that I was realizing a long time dream. Here's a brief list of the reactions of my circle:

My father: ''I'm proud...but do you have to sell your Fiat?''

My bother: ''You gotta show up at my office!!''

My neighbor: ''Can you give me a ride to the airport?''

One of my sisters: ''It's just another old red car!!!''

Other Ferrari owners: ''Be prepared to lose most of your friends''

My friends: generally indifferent.

Average Joe-on-the-street: generallly gives me a thumbs up.

My co-workers: generally envious or indifferent. And although I tried every way to reason with some of them and keep a low profile, it doesn't change their perception...so f*ck 'em!!! However, my bosses (who drive Bimmers & Benzes) were pleased...and even jokingly asked if I would drive them to meet with some of our customers.

wife's uncle: ''Hey, nice Vette!!''

cops: ''Make my day!!!''

And the list goes on...And yes, this has got to have been the best thread yet!!!

25. udalmia

udalmia Guest

AWESOME thread, after reading this i cant wait to go drive my 2k miles 2003 360 spider :D