How do u become a special client to buy exclusive F Cars? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do u become a special client to buy exclusive F Cars?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fat Viking, May 28, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    #27 Husker, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    I have a friend here who collects cars, but only “numbered” cars. He’s got two essentially new Pistas, several Lambos, two Ford GTs, several Porsche varieties, and other stuff. Each car he designates as a driver or non-driver. He says he gets phone calls now and then when some special edition is available. He just took delivery on some new, exclusive Lambo. He has it under a carport currently - not even garaged! But his place is at least gated.

My new-to-me 360 would be the equivalent of a 20 year old Toyota Corolla for him. :confused:

His current beater is a bright blue lambo suv - I’ll try to get a photo of it on my walk tonight. It sits outside all night. :D

uhn2000 and Fat Viking like this.
  2. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    FerRrari, Thomas S. and Fat Viking like this.
  3. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Well, something ROAD LEGAL would be nice to go get bread and milk. ;)

Fat Viking likes this.
  4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    They already have that. Driving a Ferrari F1 in venues around the world makes posing in a street car uninteresting and meaningless.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    just buy alot of cars - very simple. if you are willing to use leverage you can easily become vip buy buying and financing 2m worth of cars...rinse and repeat every 12 to 18 months...not hard to do at all....

paulchua and Fat Viking like this.
  6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    That's what Ferrucio Lamborghini said. :p

Boomhauer, Fat Viking and paulchua like this.
  7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    #33 Rossocorsa1, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    I'm going to assume you're referring to the ultimate high level Ferrari clients who receive invitations from the factory to order their most exclusive offerings, including Supercars. They also occasionally build one-offs for these individuals. First, there is the obvious:

- To establish themselves, they buy everything, including standard production cars. They may not hold them for very long (and sell them back to their dealer), but they still buy everything.

- Next, they attend many/all events, including those sponsored by the factory, the national distribution entity (such as Ferrari North America), as well as their dealer. These include attending F1 hospitality functions, factory sponsored tours, Casa Ferrari at Pebble Beach, smaller dealer functions, etc. Ferrari actually records and grades all their clients within a system.

- Next, they have all their qualifying cars Classiche Certified and they support Classiche actively

- Many also are active in the Ferrari's racing program and attend Ferrari's racing courses and retreats

Lastly, and this is may be the most important element and the one that money can't buy, "they" (meaning the factory and the powers at be) need to like you. There are a few well publicized examples of certain individuals who do all the things I listed above, but, for whatever reason, the factory just doesn't want their most exclusive offerings tied to these certain individuals. You can call it arrogance, brand protection, whatever, but this has been a long-standing tradition. Whether it's Steve McQueen, Jon Hunt, etc., Ferrari likes passionate but classy individuals owning their flagship products. Hope this answers your question.

LARRYH, Twosherpaz, chrixxx and 2 others like this.
  8. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Classy

Fat Viking likes this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    But with a ring of truth. For many, a Ferrari is a piece of jewelry. I’m not complaining though. If there weren’t people throwing stupid money at new Ferraris, there wouldn’t be any opportunities for bottom feeders like me.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Fat Viking likes this.
  10. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    There are more appropriate ways to express things. Regardless, Ferrari’s are beautiful things, and if some (actually most) appreciate them for their beauty, what’s wrong with that? Ferrari has always been about beauty and design, just as much as speed.

Il Tifoso, EnzoItaly, jjmalez and 3 others like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Nothing. But I'm afraid Ferrari is following the path to ruin that Harley Davidson followed. Massive hubris turns a lot of enthusiasts off.

Fat Viking likes this.
  12. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Your point is well taken but I think it’s a bit more complicated than that. For instance - those who had a much deeper love and appreciation for Ferrari from a different era still have that to enjoy. My cars are from the 80’s and 90’s. Nothing about today’s Ferrari changes that. Those that own vintage cars from the 60’s may not care for the post Enzo era, but they really don’t need to because they can focus their energy on what the love. On the other hand, millions of people who have zero appreciation for older Ferrari’s, love the modern cars. And, why shouldn’t they? They’re remarkable.

Something to keep in mind, especially as we get older - younger people generally couldn’t care less about the past when forming their passions. When I was a boy, I loved the Countach, the 288 GTO, the 328 and the F40. I loved these cars because they were the most relevant during my formidable years. I honestly didn’t even know what a 250 or 275 was. Today. Millions of boys and girls fantasize about LaFerrari’s, SF90’s and Tributo’s. Generally, they couldn’t care less about my 328 or 355. Ferrari is doing just fine and I’m sure they’ll continue to do great for decades to come.

Twosherpaz, 456-boy, chrixxx and 2 others like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I still think going public was a bad idea. The MBAs have taken over.

14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    If they hadn't gone public, then we would be deprived of the upcoming SUV! :eek: Give the people what they want! :D

Fat Viking likes this.
  15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Thanks!

willrace, paulchua and Fat Viking like this.
  16. jjmalez

jjmalez F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 8, 2005
    Northern Illinois
    Full Name:
    Joseph

God I loved the 80's

IMHO

Fat Viking likes this.
  17. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Yup! Get really good at bending over, grabbing your ankles and take it in the rear, as well as buy all their BS cars and let's not forget you will have to be disrespected and ripped off..... and take it all with a smile. Then maybe...... just maybe they will 'let' you spend way too much money for a collection of aluminum, rubber, carbon fiber and glass so you can brag to your friends that you were able to buy something they couldn't. :)

tbakowsky, slm, Fat Viking and 2 others like this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    #44 AlfistaPortoghese, Jun 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
    It ain’t braggin’ if it’s true :p:D

Truth be told, there’s another angle to it: If the aim of being a valued customer at Ferrari is about making a power statement, then actually not being a valued customer makes a louder statement: that you buy what you want, when you want, and you won’t be forced or pushed over. No one shoves you around and certainly no one makes you buy things you don’t want.

There’s more than one way of earning respect. Most of the time, it’s by standing up, not bending down.

For what it’s worth, as I said before, I don’t care. And I don’t care not because I’m not considered a valued customer at Ferrari. I am an esteemed customer at other brands. Still doesn’t make an impact on my life. What does are my friends, my family and being comfortable in my own shoes. In the end, a car is a thing. Everyone likes feeling valued. It’s a good thing. My company has valued customers and I do my utmost to accomodate them anytime, anywhere. You just shouldn’t let it go over the top in terms of importance.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

19. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Interesting how there's a clear ilk, however small, that has enormous disdain for Ferrari (and, given some comments on here, disdain for their clients), yet they opine on this forum ad nauseam. Though far from perfect, by any measure, Ferrari is a remarkable company. Their current product line is exceptional and their pipeline is very exciting. They also have superb business segments. As for their premier clientele, those that I know are hardly concerned about impressing anyone. They are deeply passionate about the brand and most have the finest examples from various eras in Ferrari's history.

20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    My good friend is on this list.

In a nutshell you have to have a large collection of cars. You do not have to buy every model made but it does help if you support the dealer. This "support" has to be on record for at least a few years. You can't just swoop in and buy a bunch of cars in six months. It also greatly helps if you acquire significant cars such as the 288, F40, Enzo, LaFerrari or any vintage cars. Participating in Corse Clienti helps but is not mandatory. Same goes for Classiche. Also doesn't hurt to show a classic at Pebble or Cavallino for visibility but not mandatory.

IMO it also gives you an edge if you speak Italian. Many might scoff at this but I've seen first hand that it is appreciated and gets you preferential treatment.

jrosevear, anunakki, uhn2000 and 6 others like this.
  21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Cool insight

mikesufka and Fat Viking like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Well said as always @AlfistaPortoghese

I understand @Ingenere cynicism; however, @AlfistaPortoghese's retort is poetry.

Enzo knew the importance of supply and demand. One need look no further than diamonds. For years, I thought they were rare; only after education did I find they are quite common stone, and in massive abundance on earth.

It's only the strict control of making only a tiny amount available to the market by cartels such as De Beers that diamonds have value. It's akin if I had control of all the pyrite mines on earth and then used marketing and inventory control to make them more valuable then gold.

This fact also applies to Ferrari. By making something 'rare' since Ferrari controls production, they are creating wealth. Since the very value of a said car has to be finite, Ferrari creates the rules that used to determine who benefits from this.

So it is logical to me by far than those that have contributed to Ferrari by buying all models (especially those that depreciate the most), should get the cars that can appreciate.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I've made this observation myself. Very well said.

AlfistaPortoghese and Fat Viking like this.
  24. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I’m a car guy. I like Ferraris because they are great fun to drive. Do I have an emotional connection to them? Are Ferraris a part of my identity? Hell no. They’re freaking cars. Even if I had jillions, I wouldn’t piss away money by buying a car I don’t want to get a car I do want. That’s the one of the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard of. They’re just cars. Period. If Ferrari disappeared tomorrow, I’d miss the cars, but it wouldn’t change my life.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat