How do you define being rich ? Let's stick to being materialistic here, $ net-worth. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do you define being rich ? Let's stick to being materialistic here, $ net-worth.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by millemiglia, Oct 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred

I'm guessing that it was much easier to take some risks knowing that, at the very least, you would still have the 'cut'.

:)

2. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS

We are.

ronfrohock likes this.
  3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Wealth to me is having enough money AND the time to enjoy it...very few people fall into this category.

Many folks have assets, as do I. My wife and I always sit around and wonder what we are doing wrong (jokingly, most of the time). We own realestate in the millions, but have very little sitting around in cash. We don't buy designer clothes, don't have a maid, and don't have a nanny. I finally succummed to get a company to do my landscaping/maintenance. On paper, we are rich - it doesn't feel like it, though. And maybe thats the secret to getting to be wealthy - invest like crazy, and eventually you hit a critical mass where you can quit your job and just invest in realestate/stocks/etc on a full time basis. I know I could sell all of my assets and buy quite a few nice things (a new ferrari, the lakefront house, etc), but it just isn't in my personality to do that. Eventually you accumulate enough assets to replace your income...and you hope your spending habits don't increase accordingly...

Most folks I know who are "rich" are amongst the hardest working people I know. And quite frankly, very few show their wealth (The Millionaire Next Door was right about this). Unbeknownst to me and my wife, her uncle owns 2 construction companies, but lives in a modest 400K house. He has a new s-class, a lexus, and a cabin in the woods, but doesn't look that "rich." Hell, if anything he looks like a regular joe-shmoe. I figured he had some money, but didn't realize the depth of his wealth until his foreman made some funny comments.

I asked her uncle to replace a roof on one of my small commercial buildings - a 15-20k$ job. The local contractors were offering ridiculous bids. My wife's uncle gleefully came to do it, though I live 2 hours away - he also did it at a discount. I thought I was doing my wife's uncle a favor, seeing as to how he was saying this was his slow season. I even had him come to follow up on a small section of roof that was a bit loose. He came, and smiled the whole time.

I saw his foreman, who was acting a little peeved with all of this driving, and asked why. He said he was tired of driving up here for these little "dip-sh*t jobs." He said the last project they did was 12mm dollars, and usually the smallest projects are 1-2mmilion plus... I was dumfounded. Here I thought I was helping my wife's uncle, and the reverse was true. As the foreman put it, this guys ****s out more money in a day than I make in a month...and he didn't look it... I felt like such a dumbsh*t, as I had commented to her uncle how he should consider investing in realestate - he smiled politely and said he just didn't have the time....his foreman later told me that he didn't have to buy realestate, he was too busy buying up oil fields...(sigh, this was a year ago too - I'm guessing he did very well with his investment...)

Yep, most people are "big hat, no cattle." Most docs I know have a NEGATIVE net worth, even if you include their homes...student loans are a killer. Yet they have nice homes, cars, etc...silly way to live.

4. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Thank God for Medicaid and food stamps for the kids. SSD helps pay for shoes so they don't have to go barefooted to school.

5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    "Millionaire Next Door" good book to read at my age. Being wealthy is living BELOW your means. I will not get my Ferrari until all the kids colleges are paid for, house mortage is done, and insurance is good. that is what i consider wealthy.

6. DrStranglove

DrStranglove FChat Assassin
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Google Maps
    Full Name:
    DrS
    Yea, he's pissed at me.

Cant blame him though. It was a very poorly worded post.

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Happiness. Its easier when your not poor and in the computer field I'm not hurtin' but I can't afford the same toys right now as others. I do what makes me happy and regrets belong at the front door where you wipe your feet. Quickly forgotten.

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    It is 100% in the mind. When I drive the 4.4i I feel as if I'm on top of the world with nothing to stop me. When I drive the r230, I feel as if I'm having the party of the century in two doors. When I drive the ten year old LS400, I feel rich. Why? The car's worth one tenth of the X5; environment.

Mind effects. I did a quick crude study on this with a few friends and stuff a few months back involving a wide variety of vehicles with my friends blindfolded. What materials and stuff felt "rich" and etc.,

9. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    As others here mentioned the 'living' costs vary widely depending on your locale. Plenty of people here in the N.Y metro area and elsewhere have done well just by owning a home thats quadrupled in value over the last 10 years.
    So their net worth is much higher, but only on paper. Unless you moved out of state to a much cheaper area it is moot. Im grateful to have owned my home of the last 7 years before the bubble. I feel for younger people who want to live here now, come up with 20% down and a huge mortage to live in a modest home thats close to a Million dollars. Trust me they dont feel rich!

10. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sometimes people are just brought up that way. This is how my family is. Niether of my parents had alot of money growing up so they werent used to spending $1000's on clothes and luxury cars. The only thing my mom spends $ on are plants and trees for her 1.5 acres of gardens (you need something to fill the time when your kids all moved out). This isnt to say they are cheap though, as we still take nice vacations and have nice stuff. I'm sure my father was the only partner at his firm driving a 94 honda accord to work in NYC 6 or 7 days a week until 3 years ago when he finally decided to get an Audi, and now an acura.

edit- This post also reminds me on an Fchat member, who hasnt posted in a while. He looks and acts like a normal guy, then you find out he owns an F355, a testarossa and two other sportscars. If i ever own such cars i hope i'm the same way.

11. Ferrari0324

Ferrari0324 F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Brandon
    But by that time, you'll be too old to drive it at the proper illegal speeds.

12. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Do you really consider $200k+ ultra wealthy? At $200k/yr, you can't afford a jet, or a second home in Aspen, or to even fly the family first class for two weeks in Europe. You're not starving, but you're not ultra wealthy either.

Ak Jim likes this.
  13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I don't think so. Cool Kid has it figured out.

14. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    You have to put this in prespective..........average annual income in the us right now is a tad about 30k. Obviously to live the lifestyle of which you and I want is 550k/year

15. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Speak for yourself (j/k). I wouldnt mind the lifestyle of someone who makes 20m a year. Then i could finally afford that WWII warbird collection and L-39 jet trainer ive always wanted.

16. JSL

JSL Formula 3

Jan 5, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    J.S. Leonard
    550k isn't as much as you think. Net of tax it is under 300K. Still a lot of money but doesn't make you rich IMO. The current tax rate in Calif. is 9% with a top fed rate of 35%. Total of 44% not counting social security, and other mandated deductions. Takes a few years of saving and investing to develop a portfolio. This is why many are so against the class warfare we see in politics when it comes to taxation.

17. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    This is a great post, let's keep it going!

To quote Gordon Gekko... "Greed is good."

-DC

18. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    I say you are wealthy if you have $10 million. $1 million doesnt cut it anymore i have spent several million myself and have not much to show for it. At $10 million I think it would be much harder to spend just the interest. Unless your mike tyson.

john

19. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    If you live in a metropolitan area, you need about 500k (after tax) to live really well, if your assets aren't paid for. If they are, then you can probably get by on $300k (after tax). Remember, if you own a plane even a small one, you can count on about $100k per year to operate it (a lot more if its a jet, and you don't pilot it yourself, a G4 costs about 2.5 million a year to operate, assuming 200 hours per year as an example). Helicopters are literally siphons from your wallet, they cost a fortune to operate and maintain (I only know one person who has one).

What I've found is that when I've got money, I've got no time. When I've got time, I've got no money. Problem with parental selection: mine weren't rich, and I've got to earn my own. Makes it tough.

20. gentry

gentry Guest

I don't really consider anything rich unless you have an account with billions in it. Millions can disappear very easily. Im only 25 and I have made, lost, and made again more than 10mm.

To me, rich is never having to worry about anything, ever. Where losing half or more of your assets is really a moot point since whats left will always be more than you will ever need.

Bill Gates, Michael Dell, the Waltons, these people are rich.

21. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

Good night John-Boy.

Texas Forever likes this.
  22. gentry

gentry Guest

lol, I knew that was coming. Good one doc.

23. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    damn right i do. I have my priorities.

24. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    Rich to me is 10mm+

Really rich is 11-50mm+

Super rich would be in the hundreds. I can't really think of a word for billionaires, but I suppose they would be called massively rich. lol

I hopefully will be there someday, don't doubt it. :D I'm haven't gone to a movie or a party in over a year. I just need to concentrate. I'm not obsessive; I'm having fun. Right? Just another 1,000 million to, right?

25. bottomline

bottomline Formula 3

Mar 10, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Bijan
    You do have your priorities, but there is no way I'm waiting till 40 to get a Ferrari. Not even 30. We'll see about 20. I'm sure my hard work will pay off soon. Planning is key. Actually... I'm going to start another thread here...