How do you guys store your ferraris? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How do you guys store your ferraris?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by noony, Mar 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    When does it ever rain in Texas, Speedy?!

2. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Dudes,

I have two identical garages (both single), and 355 fits in fine - just as photos posted above. I'm wondering whether I can get a 360 in the second garage? I have about 1 inch either side of the 355 wing mirrors. does anyone have exact figures for 360 like Tony provided for 355?

Another suggestions for you (although don't know if Cardiff has them), in London we have posh-car lockups in areas with terrace housing (such as Fulham) run by businesses that basically rent a large lockup and then hire out the spaces for about 1-2K a year. As most the people that live in these are wealthy, but just don't have garages...

Cheers
    Ade

3. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    ade the sizes are on the ferrari website i think from memory the 360 is 76 inches wide, cos my garage is 82 and i had 6 inches to spare

4. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    My garage openings are 87 inches. A 360/456 will go in with 1-2" spare (it seems!) on either side, and I can get out of it once I'm inside. Difficult to know how much clearance there is, since at the crucial point I can't open the door. Like Richard, I keep the mirrors out since I know if they are OK, the rest of the car is too.

Kevin

5. markcp

markcp Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    North London
    Full Name:
    Mark Parsons
    My father had the same problem a few years ago (albeit not to get an F car in :() and we got around the problem by cutting back the door reveals and installing a wider door. Typically garages are built with approx 6-12 inches of reveal (giving the opening space within) which could be cut back and giving a larger opening. Every little bit helps....

A new door would still be cheaper long term than a lock-up.

Mark.

6. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Noony,

I'm sure you'd be fine- I had a v narrow garage at our last house, which was quite tight for a 328, but I got a 355 in. They look wider than they really are because of their height and rear styling.

However, you might want to get a GTS/Spider so you can get out of it! (a friend of mine had to get a GTS for that very reason).

TR's are very wide I believe.

I'd probably recommend getting a wider door- cheaper a than trip to the bodyshop...

Where about's in Reading are you- I'm not a million miles from there myself.

Robert.

7. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
  8. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    wow guys, I can't tell you how grateful I am, especially Richard!

Robert I'm in Lower Earley, but there really is no need to put unnecessary miles on your car, I can see a 355/360 would fit now.

As for the getting out issue, the passenger would get out before going into the garage, so the car can be parked to the left to give the driver more room to get out.

Thanks guys!

9. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    hahaha-for us that would involve either digging 10ft down into the drive or taking out a bedroom above the garage.

10. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    I agonized for ages about garage width before I bought my first exotic (993 standard body, at c.68 inches) - so I made the dealer drive it in and show he could actually get out before I signed on the dotted line...! In the event, it was fine (partly because the 993 had the 'waisted' design that the 996 lost).

The Daytona is even easier, because although it's about the same width, the door jambs are narrower. Also, because it's no wider at the back than at the front, you can get it closer to the wall.

Crazy though - cars are getting wider, car doors are getting thicker, and garages are getting narrower. Apparently it's even a problem for Golf-class cars now, never mind Ferraris...

I think the Testarossa would be about the most difficult of all to squeeze in...

John

11. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    I did the same thing when I bought my car - got the dealer to drive it into my garage. I would definitely recommend doing this.

Only problem in my case was the guy had a bad knee and couldn't prove that he could get out of the car!!

12. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Why not buy a new house with a much bigger garage, That's what I HAD to do ?

Good Luck,

Steve

13. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Steve,

Nice suggestion. Pretty vital when you have a collection like yours! Any idea when you'll get the 275?

BTW just noticed that your post count is 328; it's gonna be a good luck day for you!

Stig

14. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Thanks Stig,

I didn't notice that, I'll rush out and buy a lotto ticket for tonights draw, Just in Case...

The 275 is currently having it's interior changed to full leather, and then it's going to have the Petrol Cap resited.
    A shipping date has been agreed for the 30th April, arrival in the UK 5 days Later. So 5th May should be D-day (Docking Day), This isn't set in stone yet due to the work on the car, Until the restorer's have had a good look at it they won't guarantee the dates.

I'll keep you posted.

Best Regards,

Steve

15. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    I don't think moving house is an option for us really...Maybe for a 275 or 288 but a 355/360 doesn't quite warrant it :)