News

How do you have multiple high end cars?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ICULUKN, Dec 2, 2019.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 19, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Don’t feel guilty for what you have built; feel fortunate for having the internal drive to overcome some really lousy parenting.
    Despite them you succeeded.
    Now be the opposite of them.
    Don’t buy a Huracan unless you really really want it, not that you “are in a position” to buy it...you do not need wealth display.
    Donate time at a youth center with kids who are dealing with the same **** you dealt with, mentor them, then you won’t have any more guilty feelings.

Texas Forever and Apollo 11 like this.
  2. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    That's why my 360 license plate says VIVERLA ;)

barabba, Texas Forever and vrsurgeon like this.
  3. Graz

Graz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Don't have to justify it. Life is all about balance. If you're in a financial situation to afford these beautiful cars, go for it. Don't sell your house to do it but if you can manage it without putting too much stress on yourself, just do it. Life is no dress rehearsal and when you're on your death bed the last thing your going to say is "boy I wish I didn't buy that Huracan." ;)

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Thank you all for a different perspective on the situation. The guy did a bait and switch on the Huracan. He had it advertised as private party sale, but then told me that he consigned with Lamborghini of Dallas so he can save on taxes on his new Adventador. He then wanted to raise the price if I wanted a private party sale, so I guess it wasnt meant to be.

I slept well last night knowing that the car wasn't the right deal. Time to move on.

I volunteer weekly with at risk youth. I teach them boxing and tutor them in their studies.
    Some of these kids come from backgrounds similar to mine, so I like to show them that there is more to life than drugs and abuse.

Thank you all for your perspective on a problem that very few of us are fortunate to have... Cheers.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you buy a car right, its an asset, it holds some if not all if its value. wld you think twice about buying a bond or a stock? probably not. if you are buying something that will depreciate by 50% or more well then it must be something that brings you other joy or satisfaction. i say dont over think it.

6. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Rookie

Jun 25, 2005
    I'm kind of in the same boat.....already have an amazing Diablo Roadster that only gets 700-800 miles of service each year and I'm looking to buy something in the $180-$250k area.....and am well below the normal F-Chatter wealth scale. When I call myself a 1% er, I'm talking about the left side of the bell curve......LOL So I can't say I feel guilty, like I should give it away to Greenpeace or the ACLU.....it's more like "it's a huge chunk of money for my income, should I do this for a play toy that won't get used much more than the Diablo?". Even though over $100k of it I term as "free money", which is outside our normal income (overtime, side hustles, selling a kidney or six on ebay) it's still a kind-of buyers remorse even before buying.

So I get where the OP is coming from.....

Texas Forever and kes7u like this.
  7. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    IMHO, what it all boils down to is - Unless of course your Mommy or Daddy gave you everything, or you inherited everything - Never apologize for being successful. And for sure don't be embarrassed or feel guilty. But don't flaunt it either way.
    Oh, and use the Ford Focus when you are trying to negotiate a good deal. LOL

Hypek9 likes this.
  8. kes7u

kes7u Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting thought. What do you think is the typical F-Chatter wealth scale? I've always wondered the same thing myself. I feel I'm likely also on the left side of the curve.....!

Kevin

9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    this can lead to a 5 page discussion. typical is almost impossible to define. id love to know what percentage of fchat members even have a ferrari, how many have 5, how many have 10, etc.
    money wise there are 9 figure guys for sure.

BOKE and kes7u like this.
  10. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Wealth Scale is a whole new thread. I would say that anyone that could afford a new to 1-year-old Ferrari is pretty wealthy. More so if married. Way more so if kids.
    Someone that owns a 10/15-year-old, not necessarily so. I just built a Ford F-350 Limited truck on-line and it added up to over $92,000 and didn't even get all the options.

11. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I understand the guilt. I really do. I've loved sports cars since I was 5, and being able to own something special makes my life better. Since I was 17 ('71 914 Porsche) I have always owned the best sports car I could afford, and that is the key, to own only what I can really afford. I have a McLaren and an F430 gated now, but I can't really afford both so one's up for sale. When it goes, I'll feel better about the F car.

12. saudio

saudio Karting

Jul 22, 2014
    Western Virginia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Probably not in the F430/360 sub forum ;-)

13. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    You ain’t here for a long time, make sure it’s a good time OP. Have the car you want, let someone else regret your success if they have to. You are a long time dead and there are any pockets in shrouds

14. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jun 7, 2011
    There are people here who have one car that could be sold to buy everything I own.
    There are friends we have who rent an apartment over someone's garage and think we are filthy rich.

No matter what you have, you can be humble and kind. With that, people who know you will defend you to the jealous ones who comment badly behind your back.

While you shouldn't have to justify anything, whether given/inherited by family or earned yourself, America does love a come-from-nothing success story, so there are times (often) you will find yourself telling it to assuage your own guilt feeling... because you have a great story. Even a laugh-it-off kind of thing when people see the car "yeah, perhaps compensating for growing up steeling food, but it sure is fun to drive..."

with our much more modest than your toy collection, we still catch ourselves telling stories of putting ourselves through community college and then leapfrogging through degrees together to get where we are. What we find is that people in person aren't the jealous nasty ones; they're the interested fun ones. It's people online that have knives out. So I wouldn't start a look-at-my-lambo online persona. But you don't sound like that's your thing.

Thank you for your service.
    Have fun shopping for the right car.

Gumart1 likes this.
  15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Of course they are - plenty of very rich ppl own cs and scuds and even the regular ones.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  16. Natkingcolebasket69

Rossa Subscribed

Awesome ! Kudos to u!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2013
    MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Your feelings are your feelings. There's nothing right nor wrong about them. Do whatever you feel is right. If buying the car is going to bother you, you will never truly enjoy it. Use the money for something that will bring satisfaction, not guilt.

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob F1 World Champ
    Owner Consultant

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's an easy one...ask the neighbor fighting for his life against cancer or the wife who lost her hubby at 50 to heart attack if they should have built memories and enjoyed life or satisfy their financial planner with an extra zero in the bank account. There is nothing more real than fighting for your life. News flash...we are all dying. Enjoy while you can and teach your kids to respect their inherited wealth.

Natkingcolebasket69 and Graz like this.
  19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Simple - because you can and you want to. No other reasoning applies. You don't have to justify yourself to anybody else. If you can do it, and you want to do it, do it.

20. tomc

tomc F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Totally. One of my coworkers. His mom was 51. Past tense. Died on the eve of Thanksgiving this past week. When the MIL was in hospice, one of her neighbors was 59. Early onset Alzheimers. Tomorrow is promised to no one, cliche but true. Enjoy what you've worked hard to obtain...T

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I used to have three Ferraris. But, no mo. All I have is a POS Jensen Healey. Don't know where that puts me on the scale.

22. Graz

Graz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    So true. Recently a friend and colleague of mine just 53 years old died in his sleep. Great guy with 4 kids worked like a dog and used to joke around with me about my cars wishing he had more leisure time, etc. None of us knows when our time is coming. Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy! Be kind to people and to yourself.

Apollo 11 likes this.
  23. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Probably puts you on the scale where a lot of folks find themselves. As was stated earlier by another poster here; too many cars begins to feel like the cars own you. I've been there. It's tough when you truly love cars because you always want to experience one more. But myself, I've reached a point in my life where I have sold and will sell a few to simplify my life-- and that includes a car or two I though I would never sell-- and I'm good with that.

24. BT

BT F1 World Champ

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Generally speaking, I enjoy having less stuff. I got out of Ferrari ownership years ago, and I don't really miss it. It is fun to have something special to go out and enjoy on occasion, but the headaches outweigh the fun in my experience. If you have the means and the desire there is nothing wrong with living it up! Remember, buying stuff helps lots of people down the line (mechanics, insurance folks, etc...). If you still feel guilty, do some volunterr stuff, you are sure to feel better about yourself after that.

:D
    BT

25. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    I don't justify it. Can't.
    I have a CS. DD is a 2012 Audi.
    the CS likely depreciates very little. Therefore the cost to own it comes down to insurance and maintenance + opportunity cost. probably $10,000/year
    The Audi probably costs about $3000/year to own.
    the CS gets driven so little these days I am constantly thinking about selling it.