how do you search now in a thread- looking to buy an OBD II reader | FerrariChat

how do you search now in a thread- looking to buy an OBD II reader

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by White rock, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. White rock

White rock Karting

Oct 23, 2013
    White Rock BC
    looking for a recommendation for a reader for my 550. thanks

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hello,

I bought this one for my 456. So far no complaints. I bought the recommended app with it which was another $5 so $30 all in. Probably better ones out there, but this one was cheap and worked for me.

3. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Qavion and paulchua like this.
  4. robert_fulton

robert_fulton Rookie

Apr 28, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    Full Name:
    Robert Fulton
    I like my BOSCH1050

paulchua likes this.
  5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Hard to believe something can pull and log data from all sensors when many of them are not even connected to OBDII. That is why the factory diagnostic and better aftermarket tools come with serial cables.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    While the sensors themselves are not connected to a data bus, the analog data from the sensors are read by the ECU and that data is accessible by the OBD2 scanner. I can readily read over 100 parameters from the OBD2 scanner alone.

Il Tifoso, paulchua and Jaguar36 like this.
  7. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    I bought the one recommended by Paul Chua above. It turns out to be a yet another version of the standard generic ELM327 blue tooth OBD II reader of which I have several. I am using it with the "TORQUE PRO" software and while it works on my 550 it only works for the standard OBD II stuff. So far I have yet to find an inexpensive blue tooth adapter or software for them that actually can read Ferrari specific codes. There are several modules connected to the 550's can bus (which has the OBD II data) so with the right software, one should be able to get more diagnostic information than what a generic reader can do. I was hoping for that with the Foxwell unit as I paid extra for the Ferrari software, but it only will connect to the 550 in generic mode. When I go to Ferrari mode, it does not connect.
    Oh well-------I'll keep looking------maybe someday-----------

8. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Texa and Auto Enginuity are the closest to being affordable with good capability, but AE is $3500 for the one with Ferrari/Maserati capability.

9. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Thanks Terry for the information. I can't really justify that much for casual use for my own 550 maintenance. Luckily the cheap ones do most of everything I've needed so far.

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi dodoci, didn't mean to steer you in the wrong direction. I didn't know Ferrari has their own set of codes. If I hear anything that's reasonable, I'll let you know. Sorry for making you waste $30 bucks.

:(

11. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    Actually since I wrote that, I did a comparison of all of my elm's using Torque-Pro for software. That one you recommended does the most!!! I'm glad I have it. While it doesn't mention which of the two ECU's it's getting what data from, it obviously talks to both of the engine ECU's as it is able to monitor all four O2 sensors. I haven't gotten it to connect to any other of the things on the can-bus though. I do have a list of what this BAFX (vcrsion of the ELM327) dongle can do on a 550 if anybody is interested.

paulchua likes this.
  12. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Oh sweet!! Thanks for your reply, I hope it works out for you.

Cheers

13. tdf550

tdf550 Rookie

Aug 3, 2009
    new york
    any reasonable scanners available that can reset the airbag and or suspension light on a 550?

14. dodici

dodici Karting

Mar 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA.
    Full Name:
    Dale
    On my car the suspension light comes on if it has been started a number of times in the garage without moving but gets automatically reset once the car is really used. I've had to get the airbag light reset once when I took apart the steering wheel and didn't turn off the battery switch first. There is a special connector to reset it in the passenger footwell and it required the shop with their scanner to reset it.

15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi,

I just wanted to update the community. The OBD reader I mentioned above will trip the ASR/Transmission failure light if left plugged in while the car is on and make it go into 'limp mode'

Removing it will resolve the issue.