How does the Land Rover SVR beat the Ferrari 458 in the hill climb? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How does the Land Rover SVR beat the Ferrari 458 in the hill climb?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by F430 Driver, Mar 13, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I have had 8 new Range Rovers, and had problems with all 9 of them!

Wait, what is that?

Is my math faulty? No. The mechanical problems are easy to explain- fuel pump failures, coolant leaks, one time it dumped coolant all over my garage. One time it died on the highway leaving me stranded along a part of the highway their so called roadside assistance refused (at first) to cover.... the 9th is simply that the dealership ordered the wrong engine for the car, so when it came in, beautiful as it was, I looked under the hood and said- uh, whats this? ! Why stay with them? See Mrs. Caeruleus11... she loves the easy to see out factor and also I think she appreciates the classy style.

So I wouldn't say the problems started after warranty- they break down when new, after a few miles, and break down again... Just the other day the car refused to turn off! All the digital readouts were frozen. I held the stereo power button for what felt like 5 minutes and then the electronics cycled and everything came back, and it could be turned off....

And this says nothing of the dealers nor the parent company. Neither are very good in my opinion.

On the flip side, I know people who swear by them and never had a problem.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  2. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    So we purchased a warranty through the dealership after the factory one expired. Why, we had to replace the blower under factory warrently. And the warrenty I dont recall exactly, but was maybe over $3,200 we purchased. So.....fast forward, about 10 or 12 k under warranty as just had it done AGAIN! Something wrong here, but I use the blower heavily everyday. Seems it went out at about 22,000 miles, and this time at about 53,000.

3. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    I would take the Turbo S over the Bentayga because I agree about the brilliant driver part on the Porsche and I think the Bentley is more bling than I want. For me the Rover is a necessity and while a Raptor would be good too, I think you get more utility with the Rover albeit at more expense.

On the first two I put a total of 47,000 miles. I had 32k miles in two years on the second one when it was totaled and we never had a problem with it. I bought it new on Oct 31 2015. The first one I bought used and it was a 2012 with 35k miles. One of the air shocks went out at 50,500 miles. I made the dealership fix it under warranty and then traded it for the new one. That was the only major problem I ever had. I did spend $5500 doing tires brakes and an interval service at 26,000 miles on the 2015 but then that is a normal expense of wear and tear.

My experience overall with premium brands is that they do break down a lot. My Porsches were not bad but the BMWs were junk (I had four of them). They spent a lot of time in the shop and none ever got out of warranty. I think it's very true that experiences vary with all brands but for me the RR has been a reliable and very useful vehicle for a wide range of needs. YMMV. :)

4. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I've owned five BMW's (3 M cars). Never any real issues with any of them. A few had recalls so brought them in for that but all fine before and after. Very reliable for me.

As far as Raptor's.....like the look as far as trucks go but the ride and creature comforts just not there. I test drove a couple and just could never live with the ride. Different planet than any of the cars/suv we are talking about here. Raptors bounce around on the road. Could never daily one...

As far as an SVR one upside for me is if I do have issues my dealer is just 4 miles from me. One of my neighbors wife works there part time so she could actually take mine in for service if it did have issues!

I like the "look" of the new dashboards on the RR Sports but just not sure if I am going to love all touchscreen while driving. Using screens while in motion always harder than other systems like my BMW iDrive or Audi MMI

I can say my 458 has been very reliable too since I bought it! :)

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I still don't get why some posts are surprised the SVR won this race. It has substantially more torque than a 458 at 516 lb-ft vs 398 while not sacrificing power like lots of trucks and SUVs have done in the past to make big torque. In fact the SVR makes more horsepower than the 458 even though it's just 5hp more. Given those two, and that it has gearing that favors towing and low-end torque, a hillclimb race win is not surprising (imo).

6. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    Surprised because SVR weights 5000 lbs vs 3000 lbs. SVR lugging around a lot more weight. Well over 50% more. Weight needs more power to accelerate. Weight means more mass so slower cornering. Weight means less effective breaking since more mass to stop on 4 contact patches. SVR aero and drag far worse than 458. So this is why surprising

xfrgtr likes this.
  7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The weight isn't as much as issue as it has more torque with equivalent power** and better gearing for uphill climbing. It's not geared for top speed like the Ferrari. It's geared for slower speeds like this.

**it's supercharged and still has that power at that altitude unlike the Ferrari that is down on power.

Braking is not as demanding going uphill, it is for downhill.

Tons of corners with slow speeds means you are launching from a slow roll. That favors awd vehicles like the svr.

Aero not an issue in this hillclimb. It's not high speed. It's slower speed which is not what the Ferrari is best at.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's now about power, but traction out of 1st gear turns. At any rate, I don't believe these company publicity stunts.

9. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    One word “driver”

10. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    Food for thought:

7:51.7 Alfa Romeo StelvioQuadrifoglio
    7:32.92 Ferrari 458 Italia

These are numberg times. If these were closer then I would believe SVR story. Also while the SVR has more torque and better gear ratio than the 458, the 458 can handle far higher rpm and if the driver keeps the RPM high I just think with the same driver the 458 has to be faster due to its weight. Power to weight is extremely important and even two fold while going uphill... But I could be wrong :D

11. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I will just chime in quickly and jump out. I used to drive up the Crest Road at the Sandia Mountains outside of Albuquerque and the amount of power loss an NA engine has going from 4,000' asl to 10,000' asl is crazy. Your vehicle looses a TON of power. Then you get in a vehicle that has FI and it's it looses very little power. This hill climb does not surprise me in the slightest. All car guys know at high elevations FI is the only way to go.