How does the Mondial Valeo gearbox work? | FerrariChat

How does the Mondial Valeo gearbox work?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Nuvolari, Jan 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I spent a while in the archives trying to find an answer but none was forthcoming. I was wondering if anyone can offer more information as to how the Valeo clutchless gearbox worked on the Mondials. Specifically:

1. Are the gearboxes the same between the cars?
    2. Specifically how does the clutch work? Is it dry plate?
    3. Is there a clutch pedal?
    4. What is the procedure for changing gears or pulling away?
    5. I know they made few but does anyone here actually own one or has driven one?

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    #2 Ferrari_tech, Jan 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The gearboxes (casings) were different, although the gear ratios (I think were the same)

It has a fairly complicated system that operates the clutch, so without getting too technical there is no clutch pedal, when you select a gear the sensors detect that the clucth needs to be disengaged and the actuator mounted on the gearbox disengages and engages the clutch.

They were a strange car to drive and it took quite a bit of getting use to - here in the UK we didn't sell that many and in fact the last few we had were converted back to normal gearchange.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  4. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Hm, it took me maybe 5 minutes :)

As the footwell in the Mondial t is quite narrow not having to operate a clutch pedal is a plus.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    As a Valeo owner maybe you can tell us a little more about driving these cars. Namely how do you pull away from a stop or equalize engine revs during a downshift? There is a lot of 'feel' in using a clutch at low speeds so how does the system prevent really jerky movements?

6. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    The gearbox is equipped with standard synchros. However, you can apply a little throttle during a downshift just like with the manual clutch.

Operation at slow speed is very smooth and predictable.