How does this timing belt look to you? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How does this timing belt look to you?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mustardfj40, Apr 20, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4valve

4valve Rookie

May 6, 2005
    Central Coast Calif.
    #51 4valve, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. RVIDRCI

RVIDRCI Formula 3

Dec 1, 2005
    Long Beach / Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    Really.... Default is, if there is a question, change belts/tensioners. pay now$$, or then $$$$. Simple math.

3. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Thanks! I got an email from them confirm the seal works with a stock '89 328 water pump. I will put in the order and hopefully will get the part next week.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    THANKS TAZ!!!!!!

I'm gonna print that, and email it to myself and wall paper the garage wall with it in a checkerboard pattern, with color copies from Kinko's.....LOLOLOL!

J.R. is still dead....I sure miss that guy, but I hear his voice in my head all the time, especially last night as I am splicing the long cooling hose that runs to the heater core that split open and steamed the engine compartment....kinda crumbly 30 year old rubber but I went REAL slow and it went back on the nipple from the rear head....

Now my cooling fans don't run...sigh.

My new sweetie came and looked over my shoulder and asked "Are you going to keep working and fix that???"

"Nah.....let's shower and go eat I'll put a paper clip in the thermo switch plug tomorrow"

And somewhere, Enzo and J.R. looked down, and laughed.......:D :D :D

Eurospares is fine, and ALL shipments into the US now generate that customs charge deal......

Ricambi America didn't have it?? They are real good and a US vendor....

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We really SHOULD make that a "sticky" or a pop up you get, when you enter into this "308 Section"....LOL!

6. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Did the tensioners have the same amount of miles?!

7. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    yup...the one tensioner looked better than the other..1-4 look fine for 6 years old and spinned fine, the 5-8 was rusty (alittle) and grease coming out and had ever so slightly rough spinning to it...you could tell the difference between them both. It was the noise that gave it away after i pulled the car out of storage...i still started it over the winter every 3 weeks...i just didnt feel like going the 500 miles this year with the thought every single time this summer "feeling lucky punk". Pay me now or next year, doesnt matter.

8. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Wow, I didn't think the tensioners would go with that few miles. IE: didn't think the number years mattered, just the miles.

And before some YAHOO (and you know who you are) jumps my case, yes, my tensioners will be changed with my belts.

9. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    In Canada, here in toronto/montreal we have snow or bad weather at 6 months out of the year. Storage in a garage heated is needed, we cant get away with parking it in a carport ;) I think long term that maybe added to the equation. You being in florida might have an advantage, but then again, you guys may hit 11 months of driving...so it would make sense your cars are more on mileage rather than yrs.

10. marc.l

marc.l Karting

Feb 25, 2008
    #60 marc.l, Apr 22, 2009
    This is what a belt looks like when a hose clip finds its way into the cam belt. Funny thing is its seems to run beter now than it ever has........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #61 mustardfj40, Apr 24, 2009
    I was trying to remove a stud, I double nutted it with 2 grade 10.9 bolts...and even with 12" breaker bar the stud refused to budge. I didn't like the thought of a broken stud in the engine block. So I opened the garage to let the warm california air into the garage for couple hours and sprayed this thing into the stud for about 30 seconds until the frost cover the wrench/nuts/stud then I tighten the bolt a little bit then quickly loosen it, the stud came out with easy and no breaker bar. I do this trick on my Toyota trucks all time but I couldn't I believe have to do it on and rust-free california car. Oh, I also tried torched the stud last night with no luck.

12. Irishman

Irishman F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2005
    Raleigh
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hmmm... well what stud has to be removed? More pics please.

How about the valves? With that antique belt there should be no need for new shims, right?

13. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #63 mustardfj40, May 5, 2009
    Will post pic of the stud later.

I've just gotten back from a long out-of-town weekend, and received the water pump seal from Eurospares. I would like to post a picture to help some new 328 noobs because most if not all the stuffs in the archive for the 308s and there're differences between the two.

The seal on the left is the new replacement OEM 1-piece seal from Eurospares, I think the reason it's called 1-piece because you can't not separate the seal into 2 you have to install it as one. The cost is around 85 bucks.

The seal in the middle is the original seal I pulled off my '89 328 GTS, it's a 2-piece seal as you can tell

The seal on the right is the #409 seal from McCarr which costs 14 bucks, the thing about this seal is you need to machine your shaft and impeller. Machinist time here is very expensive and it would cost me well over 100 bucks but most the time the machine shops don't want to deal with small job. And I would like to keep my water pump original so I decided against modify the pump.

14. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #64 mustardfj40, May 12, 2009
    I was too busy last week to do anything but today I got something done: Verified that my timing marks are pretty right on, and I also cleaned up the back of the wheels, they had these factory rust-proof over-spray on the back. The tires are all Goodyear original, I need to replace them and will up side them to 225 and 245. There were so many nuts/bolts/clamps/... so I cataloged them in same bags to keep track of them:

15. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The factory 2 piece seal and the #409 seals are both junk and are time bombs. The one piece seal is the only way to go. I use the 355 seal in everything. It is $35 or so. It does require machining the impeller. That costs me $50 or so but is a huge improvement in waterpump reliability and longevity.

16. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    This is good stuff here...

PDG

17. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #67 mustardfj40, May 13, 2009
    Yes, that's a great tip from Rifledriver, the 355 WP seal ring is also used in newer Ferraris and is much more affordable, I will consider that route in the next WP rebuild. Thanks!

Meanwhile, today I spent sometime cleaning the valve/timing covers, I was very careful to get rid of the old gaskets and not damaging the sealing surfaces on the valve covers. Looking closely at valve cover, I could tell how RTV and sealant was applied at the factory: RTV was applied at the conners especially next to the O-rings, sealants was used very lightly if at all, I guess it was to keep the gasket in place. I researched and read so much about what/where to apply RTV. I will try do do the samething. Btw, My Ferrari never leaked oil.

18. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #68 mustardfj40, May 18, 2009
    I got something done today: I installed the new fuel filter, I think it's much easier with the rear engine covered removed. I also almost finish rebuilding the water pump. For a moment I thought I got the wrong seal ring, than I realized that installing the 1-piece seal ring is a bit different: the inner of the seal ring is pressed fit into the shaft, so extra care is needed because you're pressing in the seal-ring outer into WP housing and seal-ring inner into the WP impeller shaft at same time. the TR is using the same seal ring and there's some info here:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188075

It has been fun so far. I am waiting for another shipment of parts from England.

19. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #69 mustardfj40, May 19, 2009
    Got something done again today, I just took my time...

1. On the left is the original factory tensioner bearing, it's CAD plated and is still very smooth after 5200 miles. On the right is the new bearing installed and tensioner plate which is cleaned-up, lubed, compressed, and ready to be installed. Next time I will get GT Hill CAD plated tensioner bearings.

2. Cam caps safely stored in the correct orientation and ordered

3. Camshafts in the box :).