How expensive would it be to change seats? | FerrariChat

How expensive would it be to change seats?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by John Salvador, Oct 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Salvador

John Salvador Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    well I’ve narrowed my search down to two cars, the problem is my first choice has the carbon fiber racing seats in them and both my wife and I find them impossibly uncomfortable. So does anyone have an idea how much it would cost to get factory power seats installed and the old ones removed. I love everything else about the car, but these seats are an absolute deal breaker.

2. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

A net cost WAG is $15,000, including the sale of the race seats.

3. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Yes. Easier to go to race seats than vice versa.

You may get lucky. Is it a dealer sale ? Point of negotiation and less impactful?

ScottS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    I'm sure theres someone willing to trade you theirs

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Agree, definitely try to find someone who want to trade them for your buckets. I am pretty sure there are 458 owners who have the ordinary seats that are more than happy to trade them for your buckets.

But off course it all depends on what colour the buckets have to match the new buyer

6. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    What color?

7. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    The seats are covered in Cuoio leather with the stitched headrests.

8. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm surprised you find the race seats uncomfortable. I actually find them MORE comfortable than any other seat I have tried (standard, Daytona, diamond stitched). Plus they make me feel much more connected with the car. The longest trip I have taken in my car is about 2 - 21/2 hrs so far and they were fine. Maybe if I had to travel farther, it might have been annoying because it locks me in one position. In all fairness, they are one shape and don't have adjustments, so if it's a shape you like and it matches your body, you're good, if not, I can see how they would stink!
    In my case, I feel like the race seats are a must for me, as well as others that I have spoken with, so you shouldn't have trouble trading. However, the Cuoio color isn't as popular as standard tan, or black, so your audience is limited.

stkpick101 likes this.
  9. birdie999

birdie999 Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    I also find that the carbon racing seats are very comfortable and very useable compare to porsche and mclaren racing seats. even for bigger guys it really hugs you

10. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    yeah you will find someone that will trade for your carbon seats...might even make money doing it. You should charge them money on top of the trade and make money because your seats are worth more. If I had regular seats I'd trade. I wonder though, if the cars with carbon seats still have the harness to power the seats somewhere. Any shop should be able to do the install....just 4 bolts on each seats I think....very simple.

brianweekes likes this.
  11. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Carbon racing seats come in three sizes - small, medium, large. I am roughly 6ft and a little wider than I should be. My wife is 5ft 3" and not very good with discomfort. We both find the large race seats to be the most comfortable option of all - even more than standard seats. We often drive long days - 8 hours in the seat. Unless you are a very uncommon shape I am wondering if your issue is that the car in question has medium seats, which will pinch quite a lot if you don't have a medium backside!

In which case your change might be easier, you will need a large race seat. The other issue with standard seats if you are tall is that some people find they are too high, which the race seat suffers less from.

Pocty likes this.
  12. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    My wife and I don’t like the contour of the seats nor the feeling of the slats on our backs. They just aren’t for us. Problem is that the wiring harness for the power seats is probably not present which makes installing power seats a problem.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You also need to factor in the cost of the discount you will have to give when you go to sell a car where you changed the seats. My guess is all around this will end up costing you close to $30k.

The best advice is to find a car with the seats you like, even if it means going with a different color.

dustman and Viperjoe like this.
  14. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I actually I have found a set of seats,from a totaled car, the issue is the wiring harness or lack there of. When I went to sell the car, I could always put the racing seats back in.

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Its funny as I had both Daytona's and racing seats and found the racing seats to be the most comfortable.

But each bottom is different!

I'm not sure but the electrical stuff to connect to the power seats may not be installed. It would be easier to go the other way.

Non-power Daytona seats are very rare.

There's another way. Just trade for one that has regular seats. Yes, it will cost you money but it will cost you money both ways.

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Beige or black would be easier to find a swapping partner.

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Used Daytona seats are about $4,500.00 for the 360 from a totaled car - and I plan to get a set - but my car already has power seats.

I hate everything about those racing seats. The look, the feel, the boy racer cheesiness. Unless you have the harness style belts - and/or a track oriented car - they seem ridiculous to me.

18. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes you can do that. I read above that one idea is to sell the racing seats to help finance the project. I think you are better off holding the seats for that eventual sale. My guess is it can be done and its a matter of proper integration.

19. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I respect your opinion, but I could not disagree more completely. The seats are beautiful, exceedingly comfortable and provide abundant support in all the right places. The modern hi tech look of the goldrake racing seat is well suited to the modern look of the car itself. A perfect match that is anything but cheesy.

20. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would also like to add that the race seats give (at least they do for me) more feel of the car and in many cases you can end up sitting a little lower and at a better position inside the car. I did drive a 488 with the standard seats and this was the first time I thought the standard seats could be not a bad alternative to the race seats. I think they have really improved the standard seats in the 488.

Viperjoe likes this.
  21. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    perfect solution...get the salvaged seats installed (likely without power) for your ownership and keep the racing seats to put back when you sell it. Perfect. I'm sure you will be able to sell the salvaged seats too when the time comes.

22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    You can have them!

23. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I would be interested in the seat swap.

Currently my 458 has Daytona Cuoio electric seats.
    Looking for medium Cuoio carbon fiber seats.

Are you able to confirm the race seats are Medium?

Doug

24. John Salvador

Oct 5, 2018
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Secret Saver
    I’m pretty sure they are medium, definitely not large. The problem is this, I don’t know if the wiring harness is there in the current car as the racing seats are manual.

25. DougDish

DougDish Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I will ask my mechanic, Classic Coach, when I stop by there later today.

What year is the 458 you are considering?