How EZ Does Your Dino Start? | FerrariChat

How EZ Does Your Dino Start?

Discussion in '206/246' started by 2dinos, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    As a reference, my 308 crank must turn 2 or maybe 3 turns, and it's off and going, warm or cold.

My Dino (when cold and sitting ~ a week or two), seems to need some choking, pumping and repeat, maybe 5 times). When warm, it's better, but still not like the 308. I wonder if the 272 duration Dino cams make starting tougher?? Also, I was thinking of backing down the ignition advance ~2degrees. It's at stock 10 deg advance now.

Thanks!

2. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Points ignition?
    If so, i would first check points for condition and correct gap.
    Again, based on my experience, I would not bother with choke, pump three times when cold.

LARRYH likes this.
  3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Cold:
    -wait for pump to build up some pressure
    -pump pedal to floor 2-3 times
    - turn key and maintain a steady light foot on the gas

Warm/Hot:
    - holding gas pedal down a little, turn key

These have been my recipes for consistent starting.

LARRYH likes this.
  4. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Using thes tricks, does she just fire right up?

How many miles do you get on plugs?? I haven't changed mine in ~10 years (1,000 miles?).

Many thanks!

5. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hot start difficulty is the single most frustrating thing about my car. Cold start is perfect - fuel pump on for 10 seconds, two pumps on the accelerator and it lights up immediately.

Hot start is another matter entirely. Run the fuel pump for 10 seconds, don't depress the accelerator, and it'll crank for 2 seconds and then catch. Sometimes. Particularly if it's warmed up but hasn't been running for a long time. But more than half the time you need to crank it for 5 seconds or more before it catches. Depressing the accelerator to open the butterflies seems to make it harder to start, not easier. Sometimes it's hot outside and the car starts right up, and sometimes you're cranking it for a while. It always starts eventually, but I do worry that the battery will drain during one of these exercises and I'll be stuck.

The car has an MSD, a stock starter motor, and is in perfect tune - runs beautifully. I just need a reliable recipe for hot start. It seems like a delicate combination of how hot the engine bay is and how long the car's been sitting when I try to start it. And I haven't figured out the combination yet.

6. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    With hot starts also have a problems..but we are not only that have this problem..

Lack of air to the webers should be the problem..fuel delivery..

My mechanic fixed the webers cleaned did it almost one day it took..after that it is much better but still not perfect..

7. snowric

snowric Karting

Apr 15, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Richard Snow
    the manual states somewhere that when starting it when hot you floor the pedal and crank. This always works for me......but it is the only car I have ever had to treat this way.

Cold requires three pedals and it starts every time.

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    #8 isuk, May 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    correct, that has always been the way...if it won't cooperate look for something else

10. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Gear reduction starter!!

mullin likes this.
  11. KARICOUM

KARICOUM Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2012
    Melbourne Australia
    Full Name:
    Roscoe
    I was taught to start mine exactly per the manual and it always fires 2 nd time if used regularly from cold or 3rd time after sitting a month. From hot I get an instant response nine times out of ten by running pump for 10-12 secs and opening throttle fully. As soon as it fires feather pedal to keep it running. My choke is not connected and apparently has always been that way according to the previous owner who had it from new. An oversight from the factory ; a dealer fix due a problem? No idea but Ive never needed a choke on this car to get her running.

12. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Here Is the magic;
    Put a gear reduction starter in the engine...see many previous posts about how much better they work. Then when cold - turn the key on ...let the fuel pumps run until you can hear the carbs fill up (or the pump is pumping less hard)...then pump the accelerator all the way to the floor 3 times...then put the accelerator down 2/3rds of the way and turn the key...magic

If its hot ...put accelerator all the way down to the floor and then turn the key on...magic

Never touch the choke.....I have two of these cars and it works the same way for both....good luck!

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    How long does it take for the pump to fill the carb when sitting for a week or two.. I cannot hear the pump slow down ....
    LarryH

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1

but under half throttle not 2/3rds.

Also ONLY Martin's Gear Reduction starters an off brand has known to have failed

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I don't know anyone that uses the choke. Even the major Road and Track review back in the day stated that there was no need to use the choke.

16. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    In my 308, my choke has cobwebs - Don't even know if it will move:) But follow the Ferrari recipe cold & hot, and always just spins and starts!

On the Dino----I know the choke well. Cold starting absolutely needs it, and a couple or half dozen pedal depressions and (as mentioned here), "Magic". When hot----rub my lucky rabbits foot / knock on wood / say the secret incantation etc, then do as the book describes, and 29 tries :)) well maybe 5 or 6) and magic :(

Compression is perfect, carbs immaculate, ignition is great. The tuning is spot on; however, I'm looking into carb settings. I think somewhere in its past, it' had some tinkering with jets. I did discover float height was off, and when I fixed this, throttle response was vastly improved ----Now to make it start preoperly. thanks for all your help!

17. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    just cuz i have not much to do _ I thought I'd toss a specific question out there about warm/hot starts and my 74 GTS

cold start is perfect by the way - turn the ignition - hear the pumps go - 3.5 pumps of the gas and it fires right up

warm/hot start .... I will try the "put the gas to the floor and crank" method - seems like that might work

but the question I have is .. do i turn the key and let the pumps run for the same time I do when it's cold ?

or just put the gas to the floor and crank it immediately ?

I can always get it to started when it's warm but I go through a little panic at times as it's cranking and i start pumping - letting gas build up etc.

i did take it on a long drive 2 days ago - it was lovely

18. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I presume that was `essential' travel? ;)

19. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Warm start, I always let the pump crank a few seconds until the pump speed reduces significantly, then pedal to the metal and engine starts immediately. Very cold: choker on, crank the fuel pump until chambers are filled and start the car with no speeder depression, engine fires immediately. All electronic ignition, no points or mechanical retarding system.

Best regards

Peter

Neelfryer likes this.
  20. Neelfryer

Neelfryer Formula Junior

Jan 11, 2017
    Beverly Hills
    Full Name:
    John
    my dino would argue it was overly essential ... lol

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Mine fires right up from cold w/o choke and goes immediately to idle. The new high torque starter makes it start even faster. If it’s been sitting for a few weeks, it takes a few tries until the carbs are filled. Once started, it immediately will idle w/o choke. My Dino has stock points and Winterburn CD ignition. I think it has much to do with carb tuning and ignition tuning. Make sure your idle jets are clean otherwise starting will be tough.

22. npwmd2

npwmd2 Karting

Mar 31, 2015
    Hudson Valley
    Full Name:
    Neal
    Follow the manual instructions to the word! Cold or Hot!