How far is too far for you when it comes to straying from original specs? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How far is too far for you when it comes to straying from original specs?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by davemqv, Jun 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How far would you go in modifying an original Ferrari?

1. Original only

2. Color change (interior/exterior)

3. Mechanical changes

4. Body modifications

5. Rebody (as if another model)

6. It's more complex than that

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is the grey area around originality. Nobody seems to mind if it increases the value of the car in question. Correct me if I'm wrong but when the Rossellini 375 MM got revisited, it wasn't to it's original spec (although it was done by Ferrari).

And to beat a dead horse, because they're good examples, I can't imagine anyone suggesting the McQueen 275 NART spider be returned to factory spec, or the Michelotti 365 NART, or any other highly valuable and unique car that was modified but has gained in value due to cache.

But paint a blue car silver, or install power steering, and many of those same people will cry foul. Just seems inconsistent to me.
    My 2c anyway.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    The McQueen 275 GTS/4 NART Spyder would probably get a Classiche White Book, not Red, if attested as modified????

3. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I don't know how the Classiche program works. Are cars not in original spec given white books?

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    F40org likes this.
  5. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    On Saturday, I saw a real GTO (of the early 60's) and ignore which chassis # it was,

with an MSD6 ignition system.

Is the Guillotine, Gallows, 'Sparky' or what, the solution for this serious and horrible desecration? Torquemada?

Regards, Alberto

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I helped provide mechanical support at the 2007 GTO Tour in California. Roughly 20 "real" GTO's took to the track (Sears Point/Sonoma Raceway) for hot laps. Of those 20 cars, not one of them was original. They all had modern updates/modifications for safety and reliability.
    Some of them (fire systems, roll bars/cages, safety harnesses, oil catch tanks) are probably required by different sanctioning bodies if you want to vintage race. Some are done by people that really drive their cars.

There is nothing like seeing a billion dollars worth of cars doing a four wheel drifts.

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Necessary modern racing modifications. But I suspect many also had hot rodded or non-original/genuine engines ... ? The original engines at home safe on an engine stand.

Swift53, I am considering installing electronic ignition on my Alfa 1750 GTV as the distributor is awkward to get to ... so yeah can definitely get why this was done to any Ferrari. BTW my father's MGB still runs points and well over 100,000 miles if not 200,000 and still gets him happily to golf once or twice a week.
    Pete