How good are those TRX 390 mm wheels / tires, really? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How good are those TRX 390 mm wheels / tires, really?

Discussion in '308/328' started by dave80gtsi, Nov 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I was under the impression that coker manufactures the trx tires with current technology using the Michelin molds. I read that on the old board.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    My understanding is that the rubber compound is updated in some way...that is all...the basic tire design, construction and tread pattern remain the same.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    EXCELLENT POINT! Question, what was the tires on the 16-inchers?

Personally, was amazed at the difference between the STIFF sidewall Kumho tires and the softer Mich PS2. The Kumho were quite stiff and unforgiving while the Mich PS2 felt much smoother.

4. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    I too debated going 16" or staying TRX. The biggest issue I had was spending money on new rims and then having a complete set of TRXs collecting dust in the garage. I ended up going TRX and will go 16" when the rubber gets old or the thread wears out. As Steven points out, the price of TRX's is RIDICULOUS and you have SO many more 16” tire choices. The 16”ers also give the car a much better look, IMHO.

5. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
  6. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Geez Louise, guys - Looks like I hit a nerve with some of you good folks by starting this thread!

A couple of you all have misinterpreted my original intent in posting - I am NOT talking about using left over used TRX tires which are 20+ years old. No sensible person would propose this due to age related rubber deterioration issues. What I am speaking of is the whole concept of picking up a set of cheap unloved orphan TRX wheels and then purchasing -- brand new -- TRX tires for them, with the idea that this would be a one step upgrade from my existing 70 series 14" tires / wheels. Then, as a nicer set of 16" QV wheels (or something even better) comes along to me, I'd be ready to upgrade yet another time to these.

It's basically about dollars. A proper set of 16" QV wheels seems to be going for well over $1000 a set of four. Then to add in a set of modern sticky 16" tires, mounted and balanced and all of that jazz, you are making the whole swap total out into the $2000 range or beyond.

By comparison, seems like I ought to be able to pick up a set of unloved and abandoned TRX rims for just a couple of hundred dollars if these are indeed as hated as some of you good folks seem to imply. Brand new 220/55 VR 390 TRX Michelin tires are about $200 each, in stock at The Tire Rack online, so for more or less half of the money of the (ultimately more desirable) 16" upgrade just mentioned, I'd be good to go. Plus, I'd thus be getting proper V rated tires - I searched high and low for a set of V rated 205/70 x 14 old school tires a year ago, and struck out as I thought that the one and only V tire option that I did find (Michelin XWX) was well overpriced, perhaps marketed to concours minded owner types.

So ... the basic question was (and still remains!) as to whether or not you all thought that this 14" to TRX to 16" one-step-at-a-time upgrade plan made sense.

Trying to answer my own question, last night I pulled out a couple of Ferrari magazine reprint road tests from the early 1980's, back when these TRX's were first introduced. Most such tests praised the then-new TRX's at that time as a notable improvement over the older 14" tires. And, from where I sit today, I see their point - remember, they were comparing old 205 width 70 series 14" tires to newer 220 width 55 series 15.35" tires, so one might reasonably anticipate better all around handling and performance. Perhaps not as good as a later set of 16" tires would be, granted ... but then I've not tried to make this case here.

It seems to me as if I really can't lose out on this one - After all, look at the worst case - I try the 'new' TRX tires and wheels, and just don't like them for one reason or another. Likely I could then turn around and resell them to a concours minded owner who does not want to deviate from the original set-up, and then continue forward from there with my 16" search.

I just don't see too much of a potential performance downside here, unless I am just overlooking something obvious to others ... thus the reason for this post!

Cheers - DM / Ohio

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dunno.

I use the stock 14's for when appearance matters....Goodyear Aquatread3s.

Then 16" for when it matters.......Eagle GSD3s on those.

But then I LIKE the stock OEM Eagle Gatorbacks on the 6 speed Trans Am.
    You can hit the gas and go 360 degrees if ya want to........LOL!

Goodyear is #1 in Racing

Besides they sent this nice shirt, winter jacket and ball cap!
    Want an antenna ball that looks like a Blimp????

8. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    My gf had her company make some tire dollies, to push them around the garage, so she can park inside!!!!!!

9. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I stand by my previous post...you are wasting money on this "upgrade"...and it will be lost dollars. When you eventually move to QV wheels, you will be stuck with the TRX tire/wheel set up that no one wants....You "might" be able to find a buyer...but it will be a long wait...and may not happen without a steep discount....

Save for QV's, don't waste your time.

10. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    I want them :)

11. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I believe most understand you won't use 20 year old tires, but you keep wanting to use 20+ year old tire technology and tread design. This is where you loose out, as it won't compare to design & tech fron the new millenium.

Without going back over what has been said, one person wants 390 TRXs and he still has not made me an offer I can't refuse, so don't delude yourself that you will get rid of them for what you may want.

Get the 14 inch rubber and go get some smiles.

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The bottom of both my cars does slam the ground more often with the 16's.

Pretty tough on the fibreglass..........

I guess you float like a butterfly, or sting like a bee!

13. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Dave.

I would still pass on the TRX wheels. True i spent 1k this summer on new SO3's. However if cost is a major concern, you could buy any number of 16" tires from well under a $100 a pop that would still be better than TRX tires.
    Now factor in maybe refinishing the old wheels an trying to locate a single TRX tire locally cause you got a nail in the sidewall, and you will join us in the 80's when 16" wheels ruled the earth!

14. GeorgeDodson

GeorgeDodson Karting

Feb 12, 2008
    Oak Ridge, TN
    Full Name:
    George Dodson
    I bought the TRX from Coker, they are just down I-75 a bit from me. I am very happy with them. I highly recommend Coker. They have a nice collection if you drive there to have your tires swapped.

15. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  16. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
  17. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Ha Ha Ha!

that is ace.

I'm going to tease my friends at Michelin with this. I do actually feel sorry for those boys who are trying to look after the TRX range for us. It is very difficult for the little tiny classic tyre department, within the massive organisation that is Michelin, to say to the factory managers: "erm! do you mind switching off the machine that is making high volume profitable batches of viable tyres. Then can you spend ages putting some different equipment on there so we can then produce a tiny little batch of obsolete tyres."

How ever, i still think i should tease them a little bit.

Albert-LP, theunissenguido and thorn like this.
  18. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Expensive old classics rolling with Michelins & Pirellis is very good out of home marketing for them. It's difficult to value, but deep and subtle & keeps their brand heritage very visible. When I arrive at a red light, whoever's in the adjacent lane often peers down at the gorgeous balloon tyres & I'm sure often notices the brand.

Maybe we can encourage them with a show your vintage Michelins on your 308 photo thread.

19. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi Vaccarella

that would be nice but i don't think it will make it any quicker. they are on it and doing the best within a massive company like Michelin it is difficult to get little things like this done.

20. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Ha Ha ragtop.

I don't really agree with you, but i did sent these pictures in to the guys at Michelin as a gentle tease. I'm not sure it would be fair for you to claim all the glory however they are back soon.

For those who care I have been told by Michelin that the 220/55R390 will be coming back into stock in July. If you want us to contact you when they are here leave a back order on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308/gtb.html but don't provide payment details and we will contact you when they are here.

For those who have already placed a back order we will contact you any way.

21. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    I am expecting these tyres back in stock in the next couple of weeks

22. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    I hope you continue to stock them. I'm gearing up for another set. I think they do quite well on the 308, and Boxer. I had a buddy who changed to 16's because the grass is greener - - - - - - , and changed back to a fresh set of TRX, and is quite content. imho - The Goodyear GSCS, is amazing, but that's a full on race tire which makes the car drive silly on the streets. Always tracking in the slightest groove, harsh, yanks about for the slightest camber change to the roadway. I think the car feels quite good on stock tires.

23. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I think comparing the TRX to a circuit tyre is not the only way of looking at it. The 308 etc with original spec tires and in working order will brake and grip in line with their performance statements of the period. Those are parameters now bettered by lower powered more modern vehicles.

Meanwhile a circuit spec tyre on the road, especially with no other modifications, suffers from the handling deficiencies of heat (or lack of), the quality of the suspension set up , etc. Ultimately- you’re still driving an older/same car in terms of CoG, etc, Add in road surface quality, and the psychological risk that one consciously or otherwise believes the tyres make one into a racing driver.

If one uses 16” inch or other wheels with suspension alignment set up and brake changes (eg pads) as required (for the type of driving expected), then one can use a more modern tyre with better braking, wet and other handling characteristics. This should reduce stopping distances, help grip in the wet and perhaps increase fuel efficiency. Or give one the confidence to enter roundabouts at 60 and put it in a ditch. But the money you’ve saved on the tyres might cover your policy excess?!?

TRXs meanwhile also have a relatively wide profile, so aesthetically they have detractors.

Whenever I walk past mine stored on the original wheels in the workshop, I do think the tread pattern does look neat though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. Longstone Tyres

Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  25. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Whilst a good idea, allowing control of sidewall flex beyond the then norm, Goodyear, Avon (and Michelin) dropped TRX and TRX tyres for a reason, despite making significant inroads in IS and Eur with a range of manufacturers.

Although Michelin /Coker provide a period service, a modern tyre will match the 1980s performance of a TRX and be potentially cheaper.

They are not a ‘bad’ tyre and we’re SOTA in the 70-80s, but things have moved on in terms of flex control/ profile, (wet) performance, rolling resistance and efficiency.

The trick is to drive legally to (less than) the limits of your tyres (and other components). Some people will find that a modern tyre extends the performance envelope of the car. Others will save cash - but may still crash or notice little difference ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk