How hard to change cams (for an EFI kit) | FerrariChat

How hard to change cams (for an EFI kit)

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Sep 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Been reading many threads and considering NFF EFI kit. Any one have experience in using Nick's EFI kit (claims maybe 20-30 hp gain) and also using a more aggressive cam? I understand the cam can be re-grinded. Is changing the cams something that can be done while keeping the engine in the car? Also what would be a guesstimate of total HP gain from an EFI kit plus some more aggressive cams?

This would be for a stock 2v Mondial engine (basically a 2V 308).

2. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I’m interested in replies. I have an ‘81 that might benefit.

Matt

3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    You can swap cams with the engine in the car. You will gain some HP on the top end, but will probably lose some on the bottom and midrange.

What these cars really need is a supercharger.

4. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    What I read in the forums seems that the cam range is more significant than what you say especially if going from stock cams with CIS to more aggressive cams with EFI (in a early 80s 2-valve).

There is a S/C kit from 928 motorsports that costs about the same as an EFI kit from NFF (roughly 6k) but the HP gains of the former is more, but the latter maybe more reliability. So I was hoping that ALSO doing cam change would help in getting more HP for the EFI case without adding too much more cost...

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Does that supercharger sound awesome?

Matt

6. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    I would start by losing the cat. You can either get a test pipe, or have one made, or get a hollowed out cat. Now you can adjust mixture for power instead of emissions. Next step should be a new ignition. These cars did not have enough advance, and it's not adjustable. More advance will give you more power. A hotter spark is a plus if you get a turbo, or supercharger. Ferrari made all the turbo parts for the 208 if you can get some. Otherwise there are many shops in the US that could build something similar. The turbo will give you more power without taking any away. Superchargers are hogs for power. If you can't get a turbo setup, get a supercharger. The stock K-Jet can handle all power upgrades, including turbos and superchargers. EFI is better for drive-ability, hot starts, cold starts etc. Performance cams work by moving the power band to the higher RPM range. This is more of a track setup than for daily driving. Have fun.

7. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Thanks! You outlined what might be my plan.... I spent some time reading and understanding cams...now I have a better understanding. I would think for my case of street driving and some track driving, I'd want to keep some low-end grunt. A performance cam (longer duration, different lift, etc) might push the curve lower at low RPM but higher at higher RPM. If I change the compression ratio, I understand things can be different but I will not do that. Thus, I will trust the stock cams are reasonable. Yes, maybe 928 Motorsports S/C kit is my next big step.

Cats: I agree!

About ignition, maybe I will do as well but depends on budget. I read that MSD 6AL is an option and I would need two of them and coils. Sums to about $700 I think. A next option is the MSD DIS 4 to also remove the distributor. I think this would be $700 + kit-for-crank-sensor, which totals about $1000. Then, there is NFF's electromotive kit at $1650. Am I missing a major option, as least pricewise?

I'd think the best ignition rejuvenation would be to be distributorless but that costs more. Is just changing to two MSD 6ALs worth it? I suppose those can slightly change the advance? Is there a less expensive good enough option? BTW, my Digiplex system seems to work well but I am not sure.

8. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    IIRC, the European Digiplex boxes had more advance than the US ones did. You might find some on ebay. Also, you can get by with one MSD 6AL and one coil, but you need another distributor. A single distributor with an 8 wire cap. Search these forums, it has been done before.

I like the looks of the XDI system. Will probably do that myself eventually.

If you're going to play with the mixture, get an air/fuel ratio meter.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/lm2.php

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    +1 that will most benefit you!
    I would install the XDI ignition. If my DigiPlex would ever fail on me and XDI will be the replacement.

Fred aka 'srephwed' has one installed:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/xdi-ignition.568835/

10. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Nicks XDI is tits. It is a little expensive but good stuff ain't cheap. Sold my digiplexes, distributors and stuff. That paid for alot of it. The only thing I have not yet done is get a block made to eliminate the distributor mounts. I made a plate but have a slight oil leak from it. Happy hunting