How holes are worn into the 360/430 convertible top | FerrariChat

How holes are worn into the 360/430 convertible top

Discussion in '360/430' started by Bigilo, Nov 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bigilo

Bigilo Karting

Sep 28, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    There are several posts about the elastic bands on the convertible top wearing prematurely losing elasticity and resulting in the top not closing properly or wears holes in an expensive top, but I thought it would be beneficial to post some pics of what happens.
    When I purchased my 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider the holes were already worn into the canvas material, even though the car was only 10 years old with less than ten thousand miles. My theory is that when the elastic bands lose elasticity the rearward wing material does not fold out of the way properly. This creates a hole on the wing themselves, where there is metal pinching the canvas, and another pair of holes above the driver and passenger by the top spar not folding backwards properly resulting in too much material compression.
    The elastic bands are replaceable and should be done as soon as possible in order to avoid damage to the canvas top. When operating the top with bad elastic it is important that:
    1) the top spar above the drivers head be pushed backwards at the beginning of the top opening and...
    2) both rear wings are folding outwards before the top folds into the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob in Makiki

Bob in Makiki Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 30, 2017
    Honolulu
    This is very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to post the thread.

3. shad99

shad99 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Japatul Valley, CA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I think this is absolutely correct, based on my observations and a lot of input from others. Three years ago I took my then newly purchased '04 Spider to the shop that the local dealer uses, after the PPI reported stretched bands. They found elastic material, probably purchased from a Dollar Store or some such, had been doubled up, stapled with a desk stapler and glued to the headliner. I had the elastic replaced with the proper material and patches placed under the worn spots. Wish the worn spots weren't there, but the top doesn't leak and opens perfectly.

4. tmvatlanta

tmvatlanta Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2017
    Covington GA
    Full Name:
    Tam V.
    Great info

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

5. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006