How is your P4 knowledge? | Page 9 | FerrariChat

How is your P4 knowledge?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by wpbekker, Sep 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian

Fantastic pictures, Paul! Thanks for sharing! Some months ago, I have seen an amazing picture in a magazine, unfortunately in a small scale and across the fold so I couldn't scan it in acceptable quality. It was that warehouse, filled with a couple of, I think 250LM, shot from a rather high position, the doors are to the left, one row of cars is in the foreground, one in the background, with loads of tools scattered everywhere and a lot of mechanics standing around. Does anyone of you Le Mans gurus happen to have that photo, maybe in high resolution? :)

2. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #202 P4Replica, Dec 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not my photos, Florian. IIRC, I saved them from a 'P4 Gallery' that used to be on Feeling43's website: http://www.feeling43.com/
    I pretty much 'right-click and save' any P3/P4/412P image, as and when I come across it ....
    .... as you can't always guarantee they'll still be there, next time you visit that website - as in this case, it seems. :(
    Sorry, Florian - I can't help with that particular 250LM image.
    But that background of the temporary garage that Ferrari used at Le Mans does seem to crop up fairly regularly.

Here it is again, with the familiar concete block walls, in François Bruere's 'officially authorised' painting of the N°. 24 Le Mans P4 ....
    .... unfortunately, François appears to have used a 1966 photo (with P3's) as the inspiration for his garage backdrop. :rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Super photo, Boudewijn. Thanks for sharing. :) You will have to tell me where you keep finding all these gems ! ;)

4. Sire Bruno de Losckley

Aug 1, 2006
    thank merci grazie. extraordinnaireSSSSSSS photos.

5. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    No worries. Thanks again for posting those great pictures (whomsoever they may belong ;)), and Merry Christmas to all of you! :)

6. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    Merry Christmas & HapP4 Holidays !

7. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
  8. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    Awesome thread & a great read! Thanks to all for their contributions. My favorite Ferrari!

9. solofast

solofast Formula 3

Oct 8, 2007
    Indianapolis
    A denser weave would add blockage and not let as much air flow thru the back vents. It would actually reduce drag since the amount of air flowing thru the rather "unaerodynamic" pathway through the engine compartment would be reduced and the overall drag would be lower. Same principal you see in an airplane if you close off the exit of the cooling system (close the cowl flaps) the flow thru the engine compartment is reduced and drag is lower.

If you open the vents up using "expamet" or something like that, you would reduce the pressure under the car and create more downforce, but at the expense of higher drag. The side benefit is that the engine compartment temps drop at the same time the exit vents are opened up and that also may have been a motiviation to open them up for one event or another, just the expected temperature of the day may have been a reason to open or not open.

The aerodynamicists who did the P4 in the first place were pretty smart guys. If you look at the design of the side inlets and other details on the car, it is evident to the trained eye that they did some things for specific reasons and knew what they were doing, even though they were limited somewhat by the state of the art in aerodynamic knowledge at the time. Still, they probably understood this effect, since it was well known at the time in the aerodynamic world, and probably advised the team accordingly.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting thoughts!

11. P4Replica

P4Replica Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    S.W. England
    Full Name:
    Paul S.
    #211 P4Replica, Dec 28, 2007
    Hmmm. Nice idea .... in theory. But I don't think they were actually that 'smart' - aerodynamics-wise, back in '67.

Go back to post #180 at the bottom of page 9, and read what 'retired' wrote:
    I think there may be more than an element of truth to his humour. ;)

The factory also experimented with adjustable tail spoilers at some events - most often set in the lowest position, which effectively negated any effect of adding downforce, and only served to almost totally block the mesh vents under the corner spoilers - as shown here, at Monza. So what then became of the 'critical' airflow through the tail ? I guess that theory just 'went out of the window'. :confused:

12. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    note the screen under the wing, aprox 1/4' puuched holes. this is exactly what was on 850

13. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    #213 ferrarip4, Aug 12, 2008
    Sorry I just found this super thread today as I was searching for pics of the P4...

I am doing a little drawing of 0858... I thought it would be of contribution to this thread...

Here's where I'm at right now...

enjoy!

14. ferrarip4

ferrarip4 Formula 3

May 8, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Chanh Lê Huy
    By the way, has the debate of 0858 and 0856 for Le mans 1967 been resolved???

15. marksgtv

marksgtv Karting

May 29, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Mark Morrissey
    #215 marksgtv, Nov 30, 2011
    Fascinating thread. I've always had a serious steering wheel fetish and received quite a treat when I bought this terrific book: Ferrari 330/P4 by Paolo Marasca.

In it I found a great detail shot of a early Momo Monza steering wheel mounted in the restored car. I have a different version of a Monza wheel but found the more elegantly designed race version that were supplied to Ferrari undrilled. This one is a formula "1" Momo but has the same spoke design. These must be pretty damn rare.

It's a great book — highly recommended.

16. dino286

dino286 Karting

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Eugène Vingerhoeds
    Well, perhaps this may change your thoughts a bit:

Book from Paolo Marasca:
    Ferrari vs Ford The third year 1966 (2013):
    Page 46:
    “The main differences between the car-bodies of the 330/P2 and the 330/P3 – Mauro Forghieri tells –
    were depending mainly on the aerodynamics, on weight and on structural outlining of the car.
    …..
    We had succeeded to eliminiate the several sharp angles present on the P2, responsable for some drag.”

Book from Paolo Marasca :
    Ferrari 330/P4 (2017)
    Page 61:
    The bodywork of the 330/P4 followed the rounded lines introduced with the 330/P3.
    ……
    The main differences between the car bodies of the two Sports Prototypes were in the front lens-reflectors (the ones on the P4 were thinner and longer),
    the air intake at the base of the windshield on the front hood (deeper and more inset on the 1967 car)
    the air intakes for the rear rakes (the pockets incorporated on the lower part of the doors broader)
    and the flattened tail (the wing set on the upper part of the bodywork was now more marked and uniform.

Mauro Forghieri is quoted very, very often in the books Paolo Marasca has published.

Regards Dino286