How long did it take you to find/shop for your 458? | FerrariChat

How long did it take you to find/shop for your 458?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by SeaNile, Jun 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm beginning to seriously consider getting a 458 in about a year from now. If I had my way I'd start shopping in May and get the car by late June.

When I bought the 360 about 7 years ago I kind of lucked out and found the right on within a few weeks at a Fcar dealer. My feeling is shopping for a 360 is more difficult than the 458 given the reliability, timing chain, etc of the 458 compared to the 360.

I'm curious how long it took you to find your 458? I see some on here have shopped for several months, even years yet with so many for sale does it really take that long to find a suitable car?

My desires are simple for now, 99% sure red and either tan/black interior, hopefully $180k or less, under 20k miles, etc.

Thanks, just curious....

2. QueueCumber

QueueCumber Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2015
    CT
    Full Name:
    QC
    I was thinking about getting back into one for a few weeks. Saw a few I liked online. I was originally going to go coupe again. Then saw my usual dealer had a spider with incredible specs locally at a fair price. I test drove it and put the deposit down that day. All the stars were aligned I guess you could say...

I don't think I could go ever go back to coupe after test driving the spider.

Afonsolaw likes this.
  3. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    based on your desire list, i say 2 weeks to a month.

My last search didnt take long. I think 4 weeks but then it was the late fall. My considerations were red, mileage, options, number of owners and cost. PPI checked out and it happened quick

4. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    Took me about 6 to 9 months all depends how picky you are... I am very selective so I had to wait.

5. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

When I bought my 458 it was quick (one month)because it was exactly what I wanted . The color combo and options list was perfect. I suggest if you find the right car don’t waste any time otherwise you may be settling for something less. Best, Kirk.

338Lapua likes this.
  6. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Kirk is right. I was looking for a few months and then the exact spec showed up that I wanted. So you need to be ready to go when the car shows up that you want.

But to answer your original question, it can take a week to a year depending on what you are willing to accept and want.

Cigarzman likes this.
  7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    2 years for Italia.
    1 day for Speciale.
    2 years for Spider.

8. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    The more selective you are, usually the longer it takes. It's difficult to establish a time frame: sometimes the car of your dreams takes a week or two to pop up, sometimes over a year. Sometimes, the prospective owner just wants to jump in on a 458 asap and there are severall to choose from. If you want to buy the car and playing for keeps, choose wisely, visit and test several, take your time, make inquiries, etc. Be confortable with your purchase, that's the most important thing. And don't get hung up on one item or two, like mileage for instance. It took me roughly 3 and a half months to find my Italia, but I set my heart on it: it had to be Bianco or Giallo.

Kind regards and good luck!

Nuno.

9. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    My experience was similar to Kirk's. I saw several that were OK but just did not click with me, so I spec'd out a 488. About 1 month later the dealer called me to say the exact same car in a 458 (I mean 99%, it only did not have the Nav, was otherwise exactly what I had ordered) came in. I spent about 5 seconds to decide.

Cigarzman likes this.
  10. Ivinsea

Ivinsea Karting

Sep 7, 2016
    Southern New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ivin Seabrook
    It took me about 1 year to find my 2013 458 coupe.

I wanted rosso corsa, carbon racing package and carbon race seats, preferably with beige or cuoio but black would have been fine too.

I entered a search on cars.com, and when the car popped up, I negotiated and bought it the next day.

I can say it has been a real pleasure to end up with a car that is BETTER than how it would have spec'd it....and I saved over $100K on a virtually new car. I paid top dollar, but I got a perfect car.

11. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    8months.... Right color, right price, right time of year to get the lowest price

12. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    It’s not linear. The perfect car could show up in one day, or it could be months. Or even longer. It helps that you are looking for a popular color combo, and if you’re indifferent to options, it’s should be really easy, as the pool of acceptable cars should be comparatively large.

On the other hand, it took me months to find mine, but I wanted TdF Blu and certain options. When I found the car, there wasn’t much room to negotiate price, but I’m satisfied with the deal and got what I wanted. In fact, I’m not sure I would have spec’d the car any differently if I was able to order it.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  13. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Do NOT go for a 2010 - 2011 ….

14. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for all the replies. Kind of what I was hoping, with these cars being dependable and modern, the days of searching for several months or even years for a well sorted our Fcar is not the case with the 458.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Is there a link to the car you are looking at ? Maybe we can see it and comment … :D

16. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Not at that point yet. Hope to be seriously shopping next May with purchase in June/July.

17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    NEXT May … you mean 2019 ?? :D

18. SeaNile

SeaNile Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2010
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes, begin shopping in May 2019. I know its a long way off but was wondering how long it took people to find their car. Funds should be available in late May 2019 and hoping it doesn't take several months to find a nice 458. So far I'm not too picky on options only because I am relatively uneducated about everything available. I also won't be keeping this car forever, probably about a year if I know myself at all.

19. Gum12345

Gum12345 Karting

Jul 8, 2017
    USA
    In that case, don't look yet. If you see one that matches what you want in next few months but can't pull trigger, then you can't find one you want for months after you start looking in May 2019, that would totally kill you. I know it would to me.