How many 308 GT4 series 1 built | FerrariChat

How many 308 GT4 series 1 built

Discussion in '308/328' started by bernadette, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    does anyone know how many 308 GT4 series 1's were built?

2. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    No one can answer this on how many 308 GT4 series 1 cars built before mid 75?

3. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Simply because it must be a very difficult question...

I don't know specifically for the 308 GT4, but what I can tell you is:
    - that no-one knows for certain how many glass (or Vetroresinas) 308 GTB were build (state of the answer these days is "somewhere between 712 and 808")
    - that nobody knows how many steel-bodied carbed 308 GTB were build either,
    - that no-one knows the exact break-down by type for 1980...

Nothing can be taken for granted with the production figures of the seventies at Ferrari....

Rgds

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  5. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
    We not all Ferrari's built in that era marked accordingly by the serial number at the time of build? So a 308 GT4 would have one number and say a 365 have the other?
    So how would we exactluy know how many Series 1 cars were built for the 308 GT4?
    Someone must know or have knowledge of this?
    Forget the dealers as if you call for a key for a 400, the answer you get, or I received was,
    " is this for a mercedes?" They have no clue.....

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, this would be beautiful but unfortunately it is not so simple!

The Dinos chassis numbers were indeed recorded in their own series, outside of the main Ferrari numerotation; that makes accounting slightly easier than for other cars, for which it might be somewhat nightmaresque.
    But Ferrari almost never ceased a serie right at one number to begin the next one with the next number, there is always some cross-over: i.e, for instance Dino 10202 might be a serie 1, 10204 a serie 2, 10206 again a serie 1, etc...
    Then you have to take the "assembly number" into account, which is a different thing.
    Also, a number in the chain might intentionaly have been NOT USED; this has already been seen.

So, to cut a very long development short, the answer is NO, no-one knows exactly. Probably not even the factoru itself. This is why some persons have been patiently trying to fulfill registers for years, car by car, precisely just to know how many were build exactly.

Rgds

7. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    It's not like there was a hard cutoff. Some cars display both characteristics.... I have a June '75 car and likely one of the last S1. Robert Garven's car is a couple after after mine and certainly one of the last. Though I've seen S2 cars were built in April / May '75 with earlier s/n then mine. It just depends. There are archives of every car built in the Classiche records. For now your best bet is to look on the GT4 registry that was filled out here a couple months ago and look on the separate registry website that is a little out of date. Ferrari Dino 208/308 GT4 Registry

There are a couple people in the world (who are also on Fchat) who have dedicated their lives on tracking Ferrari serial numbers. Much of this pertains to Enzo era cars of a more curvy nature. If I were you, I would spend some time searching the site. You would be surprised how many times questions are re-asked. To make it easier for you, rather than going to the search button on the top left, it is a little quicker to go to the 308/328 landing page and on the upper right side press "Search This Forum" button. The more vague, the more results you will get. think of all the different ways saying the same thing, use only one or two words in your search (i.e.: serial number, serial #, s/n)

8. bernadette

bernadette Karting

Mar 6, 2014
  9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I looked at a '76 308GT4 with a series 1 front grill and a series 1 glove box. Pretty sure it came from the factory that way.

10. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    11310. Series 1, 1975 GT4.
    /Peter

11. kaliforniakid

kaliforniakid Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2010
    sf bay area
    Full Name:
    erik
    I think it also depended on what was slated as US production and what was Euro production, and what markets were selling well at that time before cut-over to S2 in mid 76 (orders to fill). You would think it would be easy to track a mere 2826 cars but it has been near impossible to date. Hats off to those who try and continue to try...

12. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Hats off to them indeed...
    In fact, the lists will remain forever un-complete, because of the cars destroyed in crashes; of those which expended honorably their full lives on the road before being trashed; of those who found shelter in far away countries where no-one takes note of chassis numbers; of those religiously kept away from prying eyes; of those sleeping in barns...
    Each time one sole new chassis number emerge, it makes their day.

It should be noted that if production numbers are notoriously difficult to sort for the seventies Ferrari, they should nevertheless ALWAYS been taken with a (large) pinch of salt.
    Keep in mind the discussions about the recent "Apertas" (alluded to by M. Sheehan on his website recently, and also debated on this forum): the factory said they built a serie limited to 80 cars...but 108 different chassis numbers have already been positively identified by those who counts them, and some more are still coming!

Rgds