How many 360 owners have traded their car for the Gallardo? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How many 360 owners have traded their car for the Gallardo?

Discussion in '360/430' started by msgm1, Oct 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I agree. I couldn't be more ordinary. :)

Gary

2. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    who you ordinary? na i don't think so.

3. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    I agree, interesting thread.
    Testacajones, can you elaborate on what you liked so much about the Gallardo. I have not driven one yet.
    What I do know is that I do not like most of the colors I have seen. That the interior seems REALLY dissappointing compared to 6.0 interiors and that they do not sell easily. This last point means a lot to me as I enjoy trading in and out of cars to a degree and if the car is hard to sell new, it will get no easier down the line until the price has fallen significantly.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    so true, lambo would love to sell more cars...after all , they dont care about rarity, they are in business to make money!!!!that is the bottom line to the car business.....if lambo started losing tons of money, i would imagine that audi would close it down .....

5. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    a regular testarossa more fun to drive than a 360? it was until the 512tr that ferrari got the dynamics right on the testarossa...lets see the 360 is faster, better built, lighter, better steering, better brakes, stiffer structure, much more reliable, and much better handling, better clutch and better transmission.....but the testarossa,with technology from the mid 80s is more fun to drive? i love the testarossa but the 360 is more fun to drive

6. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Well I've owned my CS now for about 4 months now and have done 2000 miles in it. I will however have a Gallardo at my disposal all this weekend just to compare. Never driven a Gallardo before although I have driven the Murcie a few times(far too heavy and ponderous as a sports car. Plenty of presence however!) I will let you guys know on Sunday what my thoughts are.
    Alex

7. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    What I posted was my choice, the Testarossa was more fun to me, maybe that isn't the case for you. I even went to buy a 996TT over a 360 and the reason was because I didn't feel the 360 as special as to spend the extra cash on it. I feel the 996TT is a better car up to this day, it may not be as "special" but is the superior performer of the two, and does this makes it more fun? No it doesn't, but this time I was thinking of which was a superior performer. Sometimes fun to me is more important than performance and sometimes more performance is more important to me than spending extra money for less performance. If I am patient I will have a 430, thats the best new thing in the horizon for me.

8. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I liked the Gallardo better than the 360, but I dont think it would compare to the Stradale as the Stradale is more of what a street sports car should be just like the Porsche GT3 and GT3RS. The Gallardo like the 360 are more Gran Turismo than true sport cars I feel.

9. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Read my post. I didn't write "what does value have to do with it?", I wrote "What does that have to do with value". I also said ordinary people have to wait years to get the car at list. Not that they couldn't get it at list.

That renders your first paragraph irrelevant.

Lets address the second now.

How long did you wait? How much deposit did you have tied up? Did you get to jump the line in any way because of previous association with your dealer (If so how much money did you lose thorugh depreciation on previous purchases to get this advantage)?? How much did the car cost you to run? Belts versus chains??????? Moreover I should probably point out my comments refer to the EU market, since thats where my experience comes from.

I'm basing my comments on personal experience (I have a Gallardo, was considering a 360CS, and am now thinking of putting in a letter of intent for a 430CS or Gallardo SV when the dealer starts accepting them. And have done plenty of research into the market before buying.) and the experience of my firends who have between them owned 360 modena, spider, Murci, Vanquish, SL55, 911TT. One of my friends is also in the trade. Also what I was told by the dealer I purchased my car from.

Nobody has to take my word for it!

Use your common sense. Why would someone buy a 2 year old car for over sticker. Simple, because you can't get a new one for sticker.

T360 if you were the norm these cars would NOT be selling 2 years later for sticker!!!!

Of all the people I know who have bought any exotic. Not a single one has managed to drive one for 1 year (let alone 2) and sell it for the same price they got it for. Unless they have managed to jump the queue somehow. And lets not forget the dealer commision on top of this.

In Europe the premiums and so called 0 depreciation didn't last more then 18 months. (Unless of course you went to a main dealer).

(BTW Gallardos are not taking a dive over here).

10. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    Also, I think the problem with the Gallardo in the US is that Lambo have put too many cars in the market early.

I believe 360's came in at a trickle the first year, and only ramped up after that. (Just based on posts, etc. No hard figures).

Also the 360 came in with the .com bubble whereas we're now in a recession (of sorts).

11. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Apparently you are very frustrated and was not able to buy a 360 at sticker price judging from your post.

to answer you questions, i had to wait one year to get my spider and i gave the local dealer $1K deposit for the contract. when they were ready to place the actual order they took a deposit of $10K and the car was delivered within 3 months. For the period of time that i had my spider all i spent on it was two oil changes totaling $200.00. I traded in a coupe 360 to get the spider and for your information all i lost was $5K and i bought the car thru a private individual.

As for me using common sense, i would take a 2 year old 360 spider at sticker any day over a Gallardo that within five months of introduction can be had for $15K under sticker price. Apparently there is a reason why they are not being sold. i suggest you use your common sense to figure out why that is since you seem to know it all.

As for me not being the norm on these cars comment, you should realize that obviously the people that buy tons of cars from a Ferrari or lamborghini dealer will get the first shot but there is obviously a reaon why a two year old 360 is being sold at sticker and just because none of your friends or associates have managed to drive an exotic for one year and not loose money that would not make it a norm either.

Just for your information, there is an exotic rental company in New York city that rent's out a 99 coupe 360 and a 04 Gallardo that he paid way under sticker price and is a member of the f-Chat. Eventhough the cost of renting the Gallardo is much less than the 360 , they are still renting out the 360 on a daily basis while the gallardo is just sitting. i wonder why that is. i think i should use your common sense to figure it out.

BTW Gallardos have and still will take a dive here in the U.S. Can't wait to see what the F430 will do to the Gallardo market next year.

12. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003

I guess will have to see how the F430 will do in the recession era. one thing i don't understand is that why my local dealer has told me that the already have a waiting list of over 2 years? let me use my common sense.

P.S and an ordinary person i will get mine in one year.

13. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    what about the Murci as an alternative to a CS? it looks like murci's w/ low miles a couple years old are now around 200. has anyone driven a murci or owned one???

14. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    I own a CS but I've driven a murcie a couple of times and have clocked up around 500 miles total in a murcie. i can honestly tell you that the CS "feels" much better. More nimble,agile and overall lighter to drive. the murcie is obviously physically bigger and certainly more ponderous in city driving although on the open road i.e. highway this is not so relevant. However in tight small roads,country lanes etc again this is an issue. the brakes on the murcie and the gallardo for that matter feel spongey and not as responsive. the gear change in the murcie is ok although I personally prefer the CS F1 paddles. Ultimately there probably is slightly more grunt from the murcie but doesn't actually feel THAT different in performance.
    Funny enough I first drove the murcie a year ago and then had the chance to drive the same car about four weeks ago. Some 20000 miles later, which the car has covered during that time, and I can tell you the car feels as though it is falling apart, with creaks and groans everywhere and generally not as crisp. Admittedly it has lead a hard life but had always been serviced regularly. I also did get a chance to drive a Cs with 15000 miles on a few months ago, but that car still felt tight and crisp. Was it just chance? I don't know.
    Alex

15. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    thank you Alex,

very informative. my CS creaks & rattles at 5k miles, but other than bad CF on my driver's door, i wont be asking for any other warranty work when i go in for my 5k service next week.

16. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    titanium360,

It is not just about price. And if that is what you weigh the bulk of your descission process on. WOW. May be for you. I happen to like the way a car handles, feels, drives, and sounds etc. Price is only one part of the process. It needs to appeal to me. Now as it happens the 360 is more appealing to me than the Gallardo. I have driven both.

Your comments are wrongly based. I am sure that 5to1's issues are not related to being able to buy a 360 at list or not. Also explain to me how you bought a 360 spider from a private person without paying a premium? What year is your car? How long did the previous owner have it for?

You are also missing a key piece of 5to1's statements. May be 5to1 lives in UK or EU. It is a little different there than here (USA). With the games the dealers have played and considering the number of people who wanted to buy a 360 here (USA). It has kept the prices higher than normal. I think you are the one frustrated not 5to1. May be you could not buy a 360 spider from a dealer. And if you have bought your spider from a private person how far down the list are you for a F430? Oh saw a year. Are you sure? You going to buy that from a private party too. And please don't tell me you will be paying list as it seems Ferrari will price it at $195,000. And we all know there will be a big premium for the F430 for awhile. If you are trading your 360 spider to the dealer for your F430 how much do you think you might lose?

I thought the post was about how many 360 owners have traded for a Gallardo. It has grown to be which would you buy? Which is fine by me. I toke my time when considering my next sports car. And I feel for VW/Audi's first try at the 150K to 190K market with Lambo, they have done a good job. I drove several different cars as I have stated ealier. Now it seems the post has changed again. Well can we please get back to the orginal post. I am more interested in peoples real feelings and experiences.

Cheers

17. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003

Simon,

first of all is suggest your read my post with a little inteligence since apparently you just are pissed off because i do not like the gallardo. when did i ever say i paid sticker price on a spider from a private party? if you can read i said i bought a 360 coupe from a private individual and only lost $5k when i sold it to get my spider at sticker.

Secondly i just expressed my feeling about the Gallardo and the 360 and if you don't like it then it's your problem. i don't need to justify anything to you or anyone else. it's just my opinion. who are you to tell me what to think or feel about a car. THIS IS AN OPEN FORUM AND ANYONE CAN SAY WHAT THEY FEEL IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN MOVE ON. 5-1 is the one that jumped all over me.

Thirdly, if you think i am the frustrated one then boy you don't know who i am. Why don't you put your money where you mouth is and bet me that i can get a F430 coupe befor May 2005 at sticker price. Lets see how real you are? step up? also for your information i sold the spider for $30K over sticker in july and bought a CS . yes can you believe i also paid STICKERj PRICE!

18. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    DID YOU READ MY PREVIOUS MESSGAES HERE?

I am sorry I do not mean to get into a p_ssing match with you. By the way congrats on CS. Great car. All I ways trying to get you to see is that prices are subject to where you live. As well as all the other things like supply and demand.

To respond to your statement of my like of the Gallardo. You could not be further wrong. I actually do not like the Gallardo. I gave it a chance but for me it is not the car I would buy. Did you buy the spider from the dealer you bought the CS from? If that is the case you might get your F430 by May 05.

I am not the one p_ssed off. I thought you were with 5to1's statement. You completely misunderstood what I was trying to say. I am not by any stand point trying to tell you how you should feel. What I am saying and yes I read your posts all of them, is that your statement on price not mine is subjected to where we live. Also it seems too many Ferrari owners think they should make a profit on their car after they are finished with using it. My point is if that happens to happen for you then great, but don't go and buy one with that thought as your main reason. Ferraris are tremendous cars and are meant to be enjoyed (driven). Luca said back in the beginning of the 90's when he took over "he would build as many F40's as it took to make the price come down and for people to drive them". I happen to think he is right.

And as you said, "this is an open form" so I am also free to express my thoughts.

On your last piece. Yes, I accept your challenge. Your statement if you win "if you get your F430 before May 2005", so what do you want to bet? Dinner in the city? New Ferrari Puma driving shoes? And what do I win if I win?

Cheers,

19. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    WoW eli powerful

by the way guys eli is right the gallardo sucks

20. JohnH

JohnH Karting

Dec 31, 2003
    New York
    Full Name:
    John H.
    I wouldn't bet against Eli on that F430 thing. Trust me on that.

21. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    Owning a 360 and only spending 45 minutes in a Gallardo, I would not be interested in giving up my 360. In the same breath, having driven a Murcielago and purchasing a 2k mile 01 Diablo, I still would not trade in my 360. They are two different cars with great points in each package. Future car wants, F-430 and a Murcielage SV if produced!

22. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    How exactly did I jump all over you T360. "What does that have to do with value", mayb a cocky way to start a post, but NOT jumping all over any1.

I also gave my reasons for disagreeing with you clearly.

Your reply is what I would class as jumping all over some1.

As for the G car, as I stated in my post it isn't taking a dive here. Mayb it will when the F430 comes out. As probably will alot of other cars like the 360, CS, DB9, etc. The latest is the greatest syndrome is big over here. But I can live with that.

My point is simple. If people can get these cars at sticker, why would they buy a 2 year old model over stickers???????

You haven't answered that. Since noone here can verify what the other has said, common sense should dictate. So every1 use your common sense.

I don't know a single person who would pay 30k over sticker for something 2 years old if they could get it at sticker new.

BTW I could have bought anything other then the DB9 and Murci, new (counting under 500 miles as new, since I cant remember the exact details of every car) and at or below sticker. That includes all the Ferraris 360, 360 Spider, 360CS, 575, 612 Scag, Vanquish, 911 Turbo, Bentley CGT.

So I'm not frustrated with my choice. The only ones I seriously considered were the CS and Murci. And it was a hard decision, but I went with the G car because as a daily driver I felt it was better.

I don't really want to get into a pissing match. But I will say this to the mods. Is this site only here to sing the praises of Ferrari's? Because getting jumped all over whenever you disagree with comments about the all mighty 360 is getting old. It would be nice if people could just cut the hostility.

23. 5to1

5to1 Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2004
    T360, just done some quick calculations from your post.

So you:

- Lost 5k on your 360
    - Made 30k on the spider (paid sticker, sold for 30k over sticker)
    - And now have a 360CS for which you paid sticker

which means:

- 2 years (time you had 360 spider)
    - 3 months time you had 360CS (assume your saying you wont lose anything on this)
    - X time you had 360

you drove a ferrari for 27 + X months and made a profit of 25k.

Thats better then the return I would get from the bank. Congratulations, your a lucky man.

If you can do the same for me, i'll split the 25k profit with you at the end of the 27 months :)

24. SimonA

SimonA Karting

Sep 2, 2004
    Wilton, Ct.
    Full Name:
    Simon Adams
    I agree with 5to1's statement of this is a forum to discuss sports cars. Correct? With any discussion people have their preferences.

I thought this post was to be about people sharing their thoughts and experiences and preferences. Which is what I have been interested in doing. I have been fortunate to own some great sports cars so far in my life. I have enjoyed hearing all the different opinions people have shared.

And as I have said before we live in terrific times if you love cars with Aston, Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche etc building amazing cars. As all the manufacturers compete with each other we benefit greatly. Just look at what advances have been made, a car like the F430 is as quick as a F40 (Autocar article) and this is just one example. Who out of us all would have thought that this would happen. The F40 for the longest time represented one of the quickest cars ever built and still does. I will say it again, we live in great times, the lowest priced new Ferrari is as fast as a F40(Supercar). So now if you can afford a F430 and more to the point you can actually get one from a dealer at MSRP you will have bought a truly supercar. Which for all of you that may jump on me also means that any of the cars that compete with the F430 and are ever so close in acceleration numbers etc are also at supercar status.

Cheers,

25. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    The carmaker that comes to my mind when I think of cars is Ferrari, but I drove a 360 Modena hard about 1 year ago and just last week I drove a Gallardo, I had the chance of driving one last year and I didn't care to go and drive it, but last week I went for a ride and drive and I felt the car more special than the 360, something about is got me thinking about for the the whole week, and with the 360 after the fast drive wasn't enough for me to make me buy one, I felt that besides the sound the car wasn't any more exciting than a normal aspirated 996 with the X51 package.