How many 400/412 in the US...? | FerrariChat

How many 400/412 in the US...?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Britward, Sep 17, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    I have done a search and there doesn't seem to be anything in the last 15 years or so on this, which is quite surprising.

I didn't realize quite how rare these cars are here in the US, I have yet to meet anyone who has ever seen one before, everyone keeps asking me what it is.

So, do we have any idea roughly how many are in the US? Specifically 412's for me, but all models in total would also be interesting.

Thanks!
    Best,
    Rob.

2. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    There are a few posts somewhere here that have listed some numbers but I don’t know how you could find them. I seem to remember hearing 17 365GT4s in North America (US and Canada) and 5 400s with webers and manual transmission.

3. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben

Howdy Rob - I didn’t realize there was another 365/400/412 in the Bay Area! Got any pics you can post? I too have a 412, an 86 5 speed. Where in the Bay Area are you? I’m in the South Bay. Would be great to meet up at some point. Adding a pic of my car below.

I can’t offer any info on the number of cars in the US, but would also like to add a follow up question which is to try to determine how many of those in the US are also 5 speed manuals (at least for the 400/412).

Cheers,

Ruben
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Il Tifoso likes this.
  5. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    BTW, we should all be checking out the 365/400/412 group on Facebook. There are 4000 members! I posed the same question there and a nice chap responded with the following: "107 412s were brought into the US, no more than 88 remain".

He then was able to tell me when mine was built, imported, who has owned it, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/8727831092

Il Tifoso likes this.
  6. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Beautiful example of a true unicorn (given a 5 speed manual WITH California plates). Congrats!

Which shop do you currently have it at? SF Motorsports is where I take mine - @Motob is very knowledgeable about our cars. I highly recommend them, especially given the pick up/drop off service they offer.

Best of luck - let me know when you get it back and we can plan a drive.

Ruben

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White

That's David Ramm. He's on here too and I agree his registry data is awesome.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  8. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Ruben, I see you made your way over to the Facebook page :)

SF Motorsports in San Rafael, or do they have another location down your way? Bit of a hike - 50/60 miles? - if not.

I'm working with Dino Motors in San Mateo. Lots of knowledge although, like everywhere, they could use more staff. Worth popping in there at some point just to look at the 20 or so older Ferraris plus the odd older Alfa or Lambo (early Countach last time I was there) in various stages of repair, or disrepair in some cases, even a lovely light blue 365 GTC 2+2. Some engines on the bench at the back, hopefully not to be soon joined by mine.

There is also Taormina, in San Carlos, right behind San Francisco Sports Cars where I bought my car, so they get a lot of business from there.

It will be fabulous to be able to compare cars, particularly as they are so similar, it will help me understand what I should realistically be aiming for. Is the a/c just rubbish for our climate, for example?

I'll let you know when I get the car back, and look forward to meeting you.

Best,
    Rob.

Il Tifoso likes this.
  9. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Dino Motors are great guys indeed… I’m sure Danny/Johannes will get your car sorted out.

SF Motorsports has a pick up / drop off service where they come to you with a trailer and take the car up there. Highly recommended, otherwise the drive would not really make it feasible for me.

The a/c is great, especially since our cars have the double a/c units. I’ve had absolutely no problem quickly cooling the cabin on triple digit temps days.

Good luck getting things sorted! I look forward to meeting up at some point.

Ruben

10. Britward

Britward Karting

Sep 8, 2021
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob Ward
    Hey Ruben,

Sadly our getting together has been delayed, as my car is still at Dino getting a full cylinder head gasket job, 8 weeks and counting...

11. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Hey Rob, wow, that’s major surgery. Did it overheat at some point?

Good luck! I’m sure the Dino guys will get it running just right.

Ruben