How many 458 Italias with original ecu and exhaust crackles? | Page 18 | FerrariChat

How many 458 Italias with original ecu and exhaust crackles?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    mmmmmh. i wld be surprised....but it wldnt be the first time!

2. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    The plot thickens.. ;)

3. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Add mine to the crackles and pops list. These sounds are too obvious for the car to have received the ECU "upgraded" firmware.

4. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    I have test driven a 2014 Italia that has had its software upgraded a week ago. Definitely doesn't burble. The owner said he gets the occasional pop during downshifts but it's very muted compared to old school burble software which is muted compare modified software that extends the decel fuel cut delay while keeping the exhaust valves open.

5. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    And number 21 hails from Silicon Valley! :)
    xoxoxo

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    As per my dealer no updates have been released and ferrari is reading this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Despite the 458 being one of the best Ferraris of all time, I would be surprised if Ferrari were to release an update regarding the 458's epic exhaust (or other major updates). The 458 is no longer in production. I bet they're focusing almost exclusively on the 488's software and the future.

Is Ferrari reading? In the US? In Italy? Both? Hard to say for sure. :)

21 cars with the original ECU setting. Not many imho, as there are quite a few 458s on our community. I wonder if the mandatory ECU update in 458s whose owners bought a New Power warranty for instance, played a role.

Kind regards,

Nuno

8. Floydison

Floydison Karting

Dec 25, 2016
    Not sure exactly what you're saying but my car has crackles and I bought the warranty with it.

9. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    I question the crackles everyone "thinks" they have...

Having some crackles and pops and having an original ecu tune are not the same thing.

10. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Hmmm; indeed..

The plot re-thickens.. ;)

11. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I wonder if that makes the un-updated 458's worth more on the used market. I understand that finally someone is modifying the ecu to reinsert some good sounds, thankfully. Still there is some advantage to having factory approved software.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Technically, before approving your request to buy an extended warranty and during your car's inspection, Ferrari demands that the ECU is up to date, with the latest software version installed. In the 458, that will cost you your dear crackles and pops.

Maybe it's a requirement only on paper. In practice, I think any official dealer in its right mind won't deny accepting your money just because you're a petrolhead and want your ECU untouched.

Even so, if any dealer decided to apply the full force of an extended warranty requirements, they are entitled to update your ECU, period.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    If there was no possibility of retrofitting original crackles and pops on the 458, I'd say in the future the 2010-2011 would indeed be worth more. It's not uncommon in some Ferraris that early versions are more sought after (F355 for instance).

As Shiv demonstrated, that isn't the case so in the future, I can't see early 458s be worth more than latter 458s, based solely on their ECU status.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #439 Doug_S, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Don't know. While buying a new BMW I noticed on the dealer form a requirement that you represent the ecu of a trade in (if any) was never modified. I wonder if Ferrari dealers will add this to their contracts. If you modify the ecu then reload the stock settings before selling can you warrant that the ecu was never modified? The dealer has a legit interest in any damage a modified ecu running for years may have inflicted on your car. I know I would rather buy a used 458 that never had a flashed ecu to add more pops. The pops may sound nice but I am not an engineer and do not know if it was all ok.

It is an expensive car and I did not get to enjoy the modified ecu at all if it is set back to stock. The seller has to disclose the non-Ferrari approved modifications.

15. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Q !

We have found a 2010 458 which gurgles and pops still !!

Next week it will get an yearly service; HOW do we make sure this not goes away ?

What do we tell the technician that connects the 458 to the DEIS system ?

16. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Best to tell him not to connect anything to the car. Do it like Carlo does and write "DO NOT UPDATE" on a few big papers and hang it over the port and all over the interior. Make sure you repeatedly tell them not to do it

17. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Steven and Carlo are right. My 2011 is a fortnight away from its yearly maintenance and that pretty much sums up my gameplan. Either that or handcuff yourself to the mechanic! :D

I'm also willing to buy an extended new power warranty and one of the contract conditions is that the car has to be up to date in terms of software. Hope they won't make a fuss about it.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    A software update can only happen when Ferrari NA puts the software on the server. During annual services the scan tool scans all ECU's when connected and clears all ECU's when finished.

Most software updates are done when clients have certain issues - CEL - Rough running - Etc

Not all updates are performed when extending warranties either.

19. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    Contacted DMS tuning in the UK, and they say they can reprogramme to get the crackle & pops back, and it will also add 30 hp....
    Now I have to decide if it is indeed something I want to do, tampering with your ECU makes me feel a little uneasy, reputable company etc so no slur on them, but need to convince myself how much I want it versus the comfort of it staying stock...hmmmm

20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I am from the old days ... in PC world ... as I recall you can read EPROMS and store all that.

So I think they should guarantee you that they make a fail-proof "backup" of your ECU's.

Then you can go ahead imo.

What do you think ?

And ask them IF they guarantee that ...

21. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Serious claims need serious substance (in my humble opinion, namely the last bit).

Kind regards,

Nuno.

22. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    +1 :)

23. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #449 Melvok, May 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Nice thought... but as they say in the US: "Ain't nuthin like the real thing." :)