How many 458 Italias with original ecu and exhaust crackles? | Page 19 | FerrariChat

How many 458 Italias with original ecu and exhaust crackles?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 458trofeo, Feb 2, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    OpenFlash-I'm surprised this thread has faded out. Can you give us an update on where things stand? Customer car testimonial and videos yet?

2. jdstyle

jdstyle Rookie

Nov 12, 2011
  3. chris5150

chris5150 Formula Junior

Apr 16, 2009
    My bit in the thread re dms in the UK saying they could get them back & add 30hp has gone flat...after initial emails back & forth they have gone quiet, so I certainly wont be using them, doesn't exactly instill confidence in letting them mess around with my ecu, I also take the 'quietness' to mean they cannot really actually do it anyway, or maybe they are so busy they don't want anymore work!...

4. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
  5. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Def an original! Keep it that way!!
    xoxoxo

6. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Hooligan! ;)
    xoxoxoxo

7. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
    #457 OpenFlash Performance, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Hi guys,
    Sorry I've been MIA for the past few weeks. Currently in the middle of houses/office move with lots of traveling/tuning trips in my schedule and a never ending flow of emails to stay on top of. This leaves very little time to keep up with the forums.

Quick summary: Yesterday, I flew down to LA and wrapped up the ECU tune on Jay's 458. I enabled burbles, disabled catalyst warm-up, disabled catalyst monitoring, and also tuned fuel/timing/VVT to give a nice little power bump. I believe Carlo will be test driving it this weekend just before it is shipped back to Jay. So it will probably be a week or two before he will be able to drive it for himself. But everything turned out nicely. It was great to meet Carlo and chat with Jay. Super great guys. And their enthusiasm for these cars is off the charts :) So I'll let them give their impressions from this point onwards. Perhaps an official Review thread would be in order :)

Have a great weekend!

Cheers
    shiv

8. 458trofeo

458trofeo F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2013
    City of Angels
    Full Name:
    101 aki
    Hi Shiv! Great meeting you too and congrats on some fine work!
    Car sounds great and pulls like a freight train!! :) :)

Abbracci e a presto!
    xoxoxox

9. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Save all these mods for my car.....

10. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  11. OpenFlash Performance

Mar 3, 2016
    SF Bay, CA
    Full Name:
    Shiv Pathak
  12. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Now I just need to find a perfect spec 15 spider! (but I want the shifts like the coupe, Shiv).

13. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Awesome.

I'm very happy for Shiv and everyone at OpenFlash for getting the credit they deserve. Job well done indeed! Great article from a very well known and reputable source. You've done all 458 owners proud and a great service to one of the best and most loved Ferraris of all time.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

14. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    *** IMPORTANT FOLLOW-UP ***

In February of this year, I found a 2010 458 Italia with the exact spec that I wanted. The car had 3k miles, and met all my purchase criteria with the unfortunate exception of one thing: The ECU had been updated in 2013, and as such the factory tune was no longer present. Which of course means no run-on, burbles, crackles, etc.

This was very important to me, so I of course took particular interest in this thread. Having spoken with Shiv at OpenFlash Performance about his tune that creates the desired sound, and having read about the other Fchat member for whom Shiv tuned his car to create the sound, I developed enough trust and went ahead with purchase of the 2010 458 Italia.

Immediate work began on the mods, which included 200 cell cats (Thanks Travis at FabSpeed!!!), and the OE Sport Exhaust with titanium tips. With the 200 cell cats, we started pulling codes and even went into limp mode on multiple occasions. It was concerning.

Enter Shiv from OpenFlash. He hopped on a plane and brought his expert tuning. The first thing he did was diagnose the codes. He found that there were misfire codes, which may have been coming from the engine start-up/warm-up routine. The first thing he did was change the tune alter this. The codes went away.

Then he tuned in the run-on and burbles. I'm happy to report that, as a result of Shiv's tune, my 2010 Italia sounds like a 2010 Italia SHOULD sound!! Absolutely outstanding. The burbles, crackles, and pops on run-on are indeed back!!

Lastly, Shiv changed the engine timing, which added about 10 hp, per Shiv's previous dyno research. This power gain, in conjunction with the roughly 20 hp gain from FabSpeed's 200 cell cats, PLUS the beautiful run-on sound, has resulted in an unparalleled dynamic that leaves me grinning ear-to-ear every drive!!

I also removed the factory electric seats and replaced them with carbon fiber shell seats from a 360 Challenge Stradale, resulting in weight loss of approximately 60-70 lbs.

The car now pulls VERY strong for an Italia. As the owner of two 458 Speciales, I can honestly not tell a difference in the acceleration between my now-modded Italia and the Speciale. Granted, the Speciale still has superior dynamics in the areas of shift speed, grip, down force, braking, steering, etc. But in terms of only acceleration and power, my Italia feels every bit as strong as a Speciale.

I am making this post as a special thanks to Shiv for going the extra mile in making all this happen. His superlative level of customer service is absolutely unheard of these days. He made TWO separate trips to tune my car, diagnose the codes, and then follow-up to make sure everything was working properly. He is a real pro, and as a 458 Italia owner himself, definitely has skin in the game, so to speak. I just can't speak highly enough of him, his tune, and his service.

I would encourage anyone wanting to (a) add run-on, burbles, crackles etc to their Italia REGARDLESS OF YEAR, (b) add power through a good tune, (c) add 200 cell race cats and NOT get codes, should definitely contact Shiv. He'll take good care of you.

bgmix likes this.
  15. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    That's Great Thread. Thanks everyone for the interesting info

16. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    This video uploaded for you guys :)

listen to the original crackles and pops .. awesome

crispen and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    We heared harder ones F458 (or whatever your real name is ....) ! :D

F485 likes this.
  18. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I really prefer to forfeit 7 years of services and pay for my own maintenances all the time, than losing that GLORIOUS sound of THE naturally aspirated V8 Ferrari engine backfiring.

Nirvana!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Melvok likes this.
  19. F485

F485 Karting

Oct 23, 2017
    Abu Dhabi, UAE
    Full Name:
    Fahad F458
    Hey Melvok.. Believe all who hear my car sound and I drove many 458s. Mine is original and not updated is just different. so much Joy and am gonne have another video for you with clearer sound. :D

Well Nuno I think it worth that joy andThanks for the comment.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  20. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    From what I can hear in the video, it sounds a lot like the Lamborghini Huracan pops and crackles. With the race exhaust, they sound like shotgun blasts for 1/2 second on deceleration.

21. FerrariFR33458

FerrariFR33458 Formula 3

Aug 4, 2017
    Wash DC Area
    Full Name:
    FR33
    Awesome vids. Its cold here in the NE, so 458 and other F car videos will be heavy rotation for the next 3-4 months. My baby is hibernating.

22. Azzuro Blue

Azzuro Blue Karting

Feb 23, 2006
    West Palm, FL
    Can anyone here compare the pops on an aftermarket exhaust 458 to an aftermarket Huracan. (With cats). Mine sound like shotgun blasts. Also, people ask me whether the backfires risk burning the exhaust valves. Any merit to that concern?

23. Chupee

Chupee Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2009
    Between Trust funds
    Full Name:
    Blair
    I am a bit confused here. I have a 2013 458 with all the normal gripes aboutS No POP No BRUBBLES etc so i come acros this thrad which is exciting me...... until I go to the website and it says NOT LEGAL In CA..... WHAT????? Pleae advise as it It says you flw into LA but how is that possible.... thank you! please fly back into la again!!!!!

24. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

hi, is it possible to share me the dump of the pre-2011 458 sw? I'd like to reflash mine! I think I'll buy my own programmer.

I live in China and I don't foresee a trip to the US any time within the next 10 years, so I am no competitor......

Ash Patel likes this.
  25. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    It's funny when the crackles and pops first started coming on some cars, many hated it. The funny question is how many people really don't like it. Many friends of mine with many other supercars do not. Sometimes newer isn't always better?