How many Boras currently for sale? | Page 27 | FerrariChat

How many Boras currently for sale?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by dadams73, Jan 6, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I did not call, their description states that the car "could use some servicing" .... the fact that it is currently not running is a hint that they are probably correct that the car could use some servicing :)
    As I said; this could be a very good buy or a big mistake.

"1977 Maserati Bora 4.9 7,600 Original Miles and Incredibly Original

This 1977 Maserati Bora 4.9 liter has just 7,600 original miles and is incredibly original. White with red leather interior, it may be the most original low mileage Bora in existence. It's been sitting for the last 10 years and just came out of long term ownership. It wears a beautiful color combination and comes accompanied by its original books, tools, service book, original tires, and purchase order bill. It's not currently running and could use servicing as well as minor cosmetics. The car wears its original paint and leather. A low mileage example that's nothing but honest, this extremely desirable and collectible 4.9 Bora is a remarkable find that's full of integrity.

Price: $149,500"

2. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    ? I guess I'm blind to the mileage. I've looked thrice now. ?

I don't disagree about something having issues sitting or near sitting that long. Those are most likely the very best photos of it too! If it does have a lot to be done I'm encouraged by the price.

Update: I missed the click for the description box. Totally my mistake. I see it now. Why do they do that! :mad:

I guess having bought one a long time ago in a low mileage original condition with a 10 year storage I'm just not as impressed by low mileage as I am with current condition. And as I've opined many a time before these cars weren't finished well at all in the engine compartment as they left the factory. A well "restored" car will give you a lot less of the chasing your tail issues if it's been properly sorted.

Maybe it's a miracle car Ivan! ;)

3. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    "honest . . . integrity". Pretty standard GWMC advertising terminology. ;-)

4. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  5. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
  6. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Upon further reflection yes, you are correct sir!

7. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    First time seeing this.. looks like the kind of specimen to buy with your heart and not your head..

..the kind of Bora I'd be interested in buying.

It's totally unmolested, all present and original. Call it GWMC hype, but "honesty and integrity" is part of the car itself - that's the value of the low mileage.

The details that are attractive - the seat upholstery is still crisp*, moldings and trim are all smooth and undistorted, good shut lines, stance is good, the nooks and crannies are very clean in the pics, that's hard to accomplish even with professional detailing if this Bora actually started as a basket case. It speaks to a well-stored, not neglected, car. The surfaces and hoses in the engine bay, show age, but not moisture distress. The chrome isn't pitted. The only suspect I see is foggy instrument glass.

Needing complete engine and hydraulic recommissioning.. no problem, that's what elbow grease and Dave Burnham's shop is for.

*Seat foam, rubber bushings, gaskets, o-rings, and plastics (wire insulation?) are probably crisp and ready to fall apart at the first human touch.. that's were the devil is hiding.. a long term commitment.

It would probably be the right buy for an owner like me.
    - Art

8. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Looking through all of the pics it definitely needs everything.

9. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    All the driver's seats bolsters fell apart. On my 3,000 mile Bora it was one of the first things I did to both seats. It had the foam dust pieces coming out if the bottom and soon sagged. I had them made out of much better structural foam. It wasn't expensive and with a dye job the seats looked perfect again.

But what you say about stuff being crisp and new was also observed by a friend of mine at the time. He had a 73 Bora which He had owned for a while and when we went out in mine he noticed how it rode and with everything nice and tight but that car was "only" 10 years old and I ended up pulling the engine & subframe anyway and rebuilding everything right so it would last. This is waaaaaaay older. But atleast you aren't beginning with buckets of rust and a bunch of stuff missing. If you were to truly make it original you'd be sorely disappointed if you intended to really drive it. These cars need plenty of tweaks/mods to work well as real cars. For a museum piece no.

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Yep, I think I get your drift. Either preserve the originality "as is" and put it on a pedestal in a collection, or lose its pure originality in the process of making it driveable. I wonder when we'll see it surface again. I didn't see mention of its chassis number..
    Cheers,
    - Art

11. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    It's not something I was particularly worried about back in 1987 but I didn't turn mine into an Americanized hot rod either with chrome air cleaners, custom wheels and changes to the exterior and interior styling. But I made some mechanical changes that would no doubt light a purists hair on fire like double wall stainless steel heat shields instead of the crap aluminum with asbestos backing ones. I put in extra shields as well. But just exchanging the asbestos makes it non original ... :rolleyes:

Even new nicely formed aluminum, thicker shields with modern heat insulating material also makes it non original. Do this sort thing to a 3500GT and you'll get excoriated. Walter B would blast you for it though his Merak is highly modified because it makes it drive the way he wants. Me too! :)

Just read some of the 3500 threads and you'll know how anal this has all become.

Just not my kopje thee ... ;) But it's fine for those that do.

12. gcmerak

gcmerak Formula 3

Mar 17, 2008
    Engine Bay, Georgia
    Full Name:
    George C.
    Bob, you are so right!!! That asbestos was really something to behold.

I might have Walter B. beat on the modifications. If not, I'm very close to it. :D

Ciao,
    George

13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    It's not something I was worried about in 2012 either. Or even now. "Oh, let me count the ways" it is not original... Holley fuel pump, hand fabricated heat shields, Borgeson shift link joints, Porsche sway bar bushings, hand-hammered Euro manifolds to make them fit, SONY radio/CD player...

This admission harks back to a discussion of about how few expertly OEM restored Bora's there are, maybe you were the one who phrased that comment in a thread here somewhere..

Cheers,
    - Art

14. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi Art,

I'm not sure it was me? Perhaps Boraologist? Maybe Walter?

Things like fuel pumps and radios aren't that hard to rectify but many of us who have held onto our cars and really used them have discovered ways to improve their usability. I increased the size and density of my radiator core with the same tanks but I still have the original if some originality worshiper wants to put it back in. I even kept all the old original crappy looking heat shields. But I wouldn't bother changing the orange silicone boots that cover the shift linkage joints. The original foam rubber ones fall apart very quickly. Maybe black ones could be found but as you know dealing with uncoupling each of those takes some special preparations and jigs so that those taper pins can come out. I took some unthreaded ones and used a die to thread the end. Getting the originals out was no ordinary task and they were destroyed in the process. When properly shimmed along the engines side under the exhaust header that linkage works wonderfully with no slack. Mine wasn't like that when I got it so the factory wasn't terribly fastidious on their last example.

15. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Now we're evolving into a Bora Shift Linkage Rebuild tech report:

The shift linkage on mine; I removed the whole thing, from cockpit to the ZF and rebuilt it on the bench with new taper pins and lock nuts, freshly drilled with a taper bit, through the original shafts (rotated 90degress) and replaced the worn OEM joints with 5/8" ID Borgeson joints, fit almost perfectly*. With the whole assembly apart, new boots were obviously a piece of cake to install.

*a note of caution that I passed on to the Boys at MIE: The Borgeson u-joints have longer sleeves than the OEM joints. This length will impinge on surrounding objects when the shaft moves longitudinally during gear shifts. Specifically, the sleeve will ram into the ends of the rubber 'condom' grease boots at the two needle bearings running alongside the engine block. You can feel it as "resistance to shift" in the lever.

The old vs new joints can be compared in this picture;
    New Borgeson joints are mounted on the shafts. The old OEM joints are on the bench near their respective replacements; at the bottom right in the photo, and the one closest to the vice grips towards the upper right.
    [​IMG]

This entire paper template I made from pre-disassembly measurements is available if anyone wishes to borrow it...

[​IMG]

Here is the original assembly with "short sleeve" OEM joints before starting rebuild;
    [​IMG]

Cheers,
    - Art

16. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Wilson Werhan used own #430 a beautiful green Bora and I had heard that he had sold it a few years ago. He won plenty of awards with that car. Well here it is or was on eBay a no sale and damaged.

1973 Maserati Bora 2 Door Coupe | eBay

I wonder what happened and who screwed the car up?

17. boralogist

boralogist Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2005
    Sad.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

18. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #668 cnpapa24, May 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    430 in feature article.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
  20. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Hi Art,

I just had a look at your photos and some of the details are hard to make out, especially the black seals on either side of those needle bearing supports.

Mine originally were the foam rubber accordion bellows style. Which were total crap.

I used orange silicone bellows style everywhere except in between the the two supports. There I put a piece of silicone hose with clamps and filled it with some grease. On the outer ends I put a sliding bearing seal at each end. Long term the problem I had was that the air & grease inside that hose being shielded by that aluminum bolt on shield got too hot, expanded and blew one of the end seals out. I used to run the car in some very, very warm areas at full tilt for long periods of time. :)

What you have looks like a rubber step seal that's meant to slide on the shaft at one end?

Can you elaborate with perhaps a well lit close up photo if you have one? Or a part number perhaps?

21. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #671 71Satisfaction, May 21, 2017
    Last edited: May 21, 2017
    I moved my response to The BORA thread since this is a technical question with no relation Bora sales.
    - Art