how many is too many? | FerrariChat

how many is too many?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by smg2, Jul 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    okay, i had been trying to find my wife a new car and i think we have decided on the quattroprte, now i also wanted to get a coupe gt but am now leaning towards the gran sport.
    i can swing buying one in full and leasing/finance the other or possibly finance both and keep some play money. i'm just wondering if putting all my "eggs in one basket" is a good idea, maserati is more than happy to accomodate me and even made it sound like i'd be a very preffered individual. i'm just worried about long term reliability and ovcourse how wierd is it to own two very similar cars?
    any ideas on if i can get some kind of price break if ordering two cars at once, don't want to sound like i'm trying to bargin hunt when dealing with the dealer or in this case FNA. ferrari of San Fran is who i have been dealing with and so far they have more than met my concerns and expectations.

2. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Have you driven both yet? If you want to save some money, buy a used coupe and a new q-porte. Be prepared for depreciation on the q-porte like any other luxury 4 door sedan.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    i have driven the coupe and it is very addictive, not even seen the q-port in person yet. still undecided on the coupe vs gransport only becouse of the lack of a shift it yourself manual.

just this evening though my wife decides to bring the A8L back into the picture. i'm pushing for the q-port but at the end of the day it'll be her car. my descision is above....

4. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've only seen and sat in the q-porte, not driven it yet. I like it better than the coupe. During the grand opening of the dealership in Shanghai, I spoke with Roberto Ronchi (he's Maser's head of sales) at length about it and he said that the q-porte is more fun to drive than the coupe. However, your wife may not like the fact that there is no automatic mode in that car. The fit and finish looked great.

If you buy the Audi, make sure you look at resale values. The used market hates that car.

5. GregD

GregD Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I just bought a 2004 coupe with the vintage package. You can get a pretty decent deal on the 2004s. The 2005 model will have a slightly modified front grill and possibly a slightly modified trunk or rear bumper. The major changes will come about in the 2006 models.

Have you looked at the gransport pictures? The exterior is awesome looking but I didnt care too much for the interior.

6. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

"Closed end lease"

Those three words should be the cornerstone of every Maserati acquisition, until such a time as the resale market accepts the car, and their used car values stabilize accordingly. Don't get me wrong....I love the Maser product.....but you gotta look at the realities of the marketplace.

Reliability per say "is not" an issue for the owners here I think, based upon the numerous posts that I have read over the last year and a half....but resale value is.

And as to having two of the same......I've got a lot of clients with 2-3 of the same thing.....it's very common. You won't have to worry about looking like "Chip and Buffy" unless you've got two "identical" white and chrome wheeled Volvo XC90's in your driveway.

Get both....lease them....save your cash. Enjoy !!

PS....if you are offering to buy 2 Masers at once...the dealer be should offering to bronze you and put a statue out front !! You should expect an incredible deal from my experience as someone who has been in the same seat as your sales rep and done it many a time.

7. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
    ???

8. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    I am pretty sure there is an auto mode in the car.

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Yes, there is an automatic mode for the transmission, but every review of the car that I've read says it doesn't work very well. What I meant to say is that there is no automatic transmission option in the car.

Big difference between a tourque converter and a F1 gearbox that's shifting for you.