HOW MANY LEFT? UK registration DVLA data | FerrariChat

HOW MANY LEFT? UK registration DVLA data

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Davsk1, Sep 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 Davsk1, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been playing around on the How Many Left website, to find out how many 348's there are in the UK right now, and it's not clear. The 348 does not appear to be listed as a separate vehicle, as I found out on the first registration of my own recently imported 348tb the V5 does not list the model. On asking the DVLA why this is so, the response from the helpful guy at the DVLA was:

"I have looked into the code for the Ferrari 348TB. I can confirm that no model code is available for the vehicle and therefore cannot be issued on the vehicles".

On looking at the How Many Left data, it would appear that any Ferrari produced before the 360 Modena were registered without a model code and appear as Ferrari 'Missing' on the database. Apparently this is normal for sportscars and kit cars built in relatively low numbers.

The data is however split down into year of manufacture and engine size! So I think this will enable a more accurate estimate.

There are quoted 1255 cars of between 3400cc and 3499cc which I think will include only the 348 and F355 cars?

We could then use overall production figures to estimate the numbers of each variant.

There are obviously some errors on the database as a small number are listed as diesel, but it should be possible to estimate the numbers of all the older cars from this data in certain groups by engine size!

By my rough estimate I reckon there are less than 250 348tb's on UK roads right now, and my particular car being one of around 250 cars manufactured in 1990 alongside the F40, Testarossa, 348 and Mondial t, currently taxed or sorn in the UK.

Has anyone else been through this data to estimate the numbers of their own cars?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes. Ferrari models are only coded from part way through 360 production onwards. I believe they do have model information before then but only as text which would be different for the same models relying on however it was entered.

Except that isn't all that accurate. How many Ferraris do you know of that had engines of less than 499cc? I'm sure the split isn't entirely right for current and recent models either. There were certainly not 19 manual transmission Californias registered in the UK, for example. But also the numbers from the different DVLA spreadsheets never seem to add up properly.

Mondial T has the same engine as the 348.

There were only 130 348 tbs imported new to the UK so I very much doubt there are nearly twice that number here now albeit that there are quite a few non-UK original cars around.

I download the raw data from the DVLA website periodically and also MOT data and all sorts of other data. However, I don't habitually run anything to try to work out how many there are of any particular model as it would involve quite a lot of work to do so.

Jonathan

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    This thread perked my curiosity and after googling see that there are several How Many Left-type sites out there. I believe most sites are still "a work in progress" and a labor of love. For kicks, I tried running my 1930s MG thru several and got "Not Available." After reading the fine print, most of these sites seem designed for newer cars but when classics are included, they are frequently lumped under a "Not Available" category which in my case was almost 5,000 cars. It is unfortunate that it will require so much work to develop the detail that special interest owners are seeking. I do appreciate having been made aware of the How Many Left sites. Thanks.

4. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    All good points, it would be interesting to see the ones that are obviously recorded in error.

There are quite a lot of left hand drive 348's in the UK, but I'm led to believe a lot of the original UK RHD cars have gone to Australia since they were paying a lot for them.

Where do you get the MOT data from?

5. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes, including mine!

Maybe. I track Ferraris worldwide as far as possible. A while ago I did look at RHD 412 manuals and between all the various sources of data that go into my database was able to say where most of them were (i.e. in which country). But there were only two dozen to start with. Exponentially harder with a lot more cars.

Overall data (not currently updated) from here: https://data.gov.uk/dataset/anonymised_mot_test (warning, very large files as they theoretically contain all MOT results for all vehicles for each year - although some are clearly missing). Individual cars from here: https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history I have a program that automatically merges the two to de-anonymise the anonymised data. However, things like engine size, model (the anonymised data doesn't give the model for older cars), first reg date are at least as unreliable as the registration data (which was obviously separate at least until recently). It is much more reliable for new or recent cars.

Jonathan

6. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Without wanting to get into a rant, I really wouldn't pay much attention to 'How Many Left?'. As has been pointed out, the site is essentially a project, and the data sets that it is based on are certainly not a 100% accurate reflection of the vehicles in the UK.

If it was called 'How Many Might Be Left?', that would be heading in the direction of being a more appropriate title.

Vehicles are ultimately categorised in all sorts of ways - especially those at lower volumes and often involving import/export on multiple occasions over the years.

I understand there's also a chunk of vehicles in the UK that are essentially completely unaccounted for, but that's a story for another day...

-Ed

7. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Hi All,

An old thread i know but thought i'd share... info last updated today.

I have done some extensive research and have discovered there are only 80 UK RHD Ferrari 348 tb's remianing out of the 130 imported new, that are Sorn/MOT'd on the DVLA database. I have all VIN's for the list attached but have omitted this from this table. These are the only ferrari 348's remaining on the DVLA database with the VIN that starts ZFFKA35C0000 - this VIN prefix is exclusive for UK TB and excludes GTB & GTC which share the VIN prefix ZFFUA35C0000 for UK RHD cars.

Regards
    Greg

Attached Files:

8. SmokyDave

SmokyDave Karting

Jul 13, 2015
    England
    I'm gaining a deep and meaningful satisfaction from knowing there's a 348 TB out there with the number plate '348 TB'. My hat is tipped to the owner.

Gooselander likes this.
  9. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Great work!

I note that, having said in 2016 above that I don't run anything to work out how many there are of each Ferrari model in the UK, I have subsequently done just that several times and, indeed, am in the process of doing so again (more than 16,500 Ferraris currently taxed or SORNed on my last complete check). It does take a while to complete, however.

Whilst I can't immediately see anything wrong with the logic you describe above, a number of the cars on your list have not been taxed or MOTed for a considerable number of years. Also, given that, you have 80 cars but I think you are missing some. A34BTB, for example, is presently SORNed with a current MOT but doesn't seem to appear on your list. It could be you have it with a different registration (I haven't checked) although it has been on that plate for many years.

One other minor point, clearly something amiss with the first registration dates since they weren't all registered in December.

Please feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss.

10. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Yes the month as you say is not correct but I would expect the year to be. All these are best endeavours of course, I’m using third party searches so don’t have direct access to any DVLA API lookup. The A34BTB car is interesting, I see it’s RHD do you know the VIN prefix. What’s your count on Uk RHD tbs?

11. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    The A34BTB Car has last five digits VIN of 89323 - if it is a UK car it should have VIN ZFFKA35C000089323 - a quick check on here
    https://www.carguide.co.uk/vin-check-landing/?adgrp=Car_Guide_Car_Check_Exact&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8-CmoLGA8AIV0uR3Ch0ncQWiEAAYAyAAEgLGvPD_BwE
    for the VIN does not return a result - but same site check on Reg No. does. Either an Import RHD (unlikely) or VIN has been recorded wrong with DVLA??
    My search only looked for UK Cars VIN prefix ZFFKA35C0000 which would explain why this car is not on the list.[/QUOTE]

12. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    89323 does indeed have a KA35C VIN

13. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Thank you Robert, I've added to the list - strange it's not showing on this search when sesarched by VIN but does when searched on reg

14. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That was only an example. I have more than 100 UK RHD 348 tbs matched to the DVLA data.

15. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Really, can you share your list please..

16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Yes, I will send it to you in a few days. As I mentioned earlier, I am in the process of updating my summary of UK-registered Ferraris and it isn't a quick process.

17. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Thats great, thank you. is your list UK registered or UK Supplied exluding imports?

18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    My full list is all UK-registered Ferraris irrespective of where they were originally supplied but obviously I can filter it and anyway split it between LHD and RHD. The 348 tbs I referred to above are UK RHD cars. There are another approximately 40 LHD cars.

It is worth noting that it is a little more complicated than that (as always!). For example, one of the cars on your list was supplied through the UK importer, Maranello Concessionaires, to the first owner in the Republic of Ireland. That is counted as one of the 130 UK original cars (and it now registered in the UK anyway) but the DVLA might well regard it as an import.

19. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Yes it sure isn't easy... are you identifying the UK TB's imported new by Maranello Concessionaires to the UK by filtering by the VIN prefix?
    Appreciate your help on this..:)

20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    In practice, yes, although I do have a list of the UK cars anyway.

21. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Hi jtremlett, any luck with that list would be good to know what is missing from my attempt.. Cheers

22. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Hopefully, it will be done next week.

Gooselander likes this.
  23. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    That's great, much appreciated..

24. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    Hi Robert, I have queried your car with the owners of the website above and they say that a query on you car reg number is returning a VIN ZFFKA36C000089323 from the DVLA database. The unexpected part of this is the 36 (ts) in the middle instead of 35 (tb)
    The VIN is made up of three parts WMI (Manufacturuer) ZFF | VDS (Vehicle Type) KA36C0 | VIS (serial number) 00089323
    try this link https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/ZFFKA36C000089323

25. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Not my car unfortunately and I do not think I have seen it, but would have to check. The information I looked at for this came from Ferrari. They have been known, on occasions, to get things wrong: a cabriolet number that is clearly on a coupe, wrong check digits, cars borrowing numbers from a different model for example. There is much speculation about why this happens but it could just be a simple error, or someone changing their mind after a car has been ordered. Without seeing the car and the VIN there is no way to be sure if the VIN on 89323 really is a 35 or 36 or if the car is a tb or ts.