How many own a Ferrari | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How many own a Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Steve King, Sep 15, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve R

Steve R F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 15, 2004
    MeSoNeedy, CA
    Full Name:
    TorQ Master
    Back on topic....what a concept :)

My hunch is that less then 20% on this site actually own Ferrari's. The more guys I meet from this board, the fewer I realize own Ferrari's at all. Still, good guys.

2. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Probably 10% +/- 2-3%. Former owners should count, and there are some of those. Households with Ferraris count too, and there are some of those. More than a couple multiple owners out there too.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well one easy way to know who really owns a Ferarri is to look in the tech section.

I do agree that the percentage of owners is probably less than 20%, compaired to the membership of the site.

4. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Not true. The tech section tends to be people that like to work on the cars themselves... and tends to be the cars that pre-date SD2 (when it became really difficult to work on cars yourself). Many, MANY true Ferrari owners rarely visit the tech section.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, you've met 10 F-Chatters in person... and 100% of them owned Ferraris. And based on that you conclude that more like 1% of F-Chatters really own Ferraris?

And so when a bunch of Stradale owners tell you that we know each other personally and feel confident that there are no posers in the Stradale list, your response is to call "BS" and assert there are large numbers of posers? Even though you freely admit that you do not know of even a single example of an F-Chatter on that list who is not a Stradale owner?

If there's an ounce of logic in all that, I'm having trouble finding it.

6. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Brian is right. The Challenge Stradale owner I know doesn't visit any part of this site other than the San Antonio spotters thread. I'm pretty sure he is the youngest CS owner on this site and if anyone would be questioned, I would think it would be him. At least 15 or 20 people here could vouch for him including our local club president.

EDIT: That's him and his CS in my profile.

7. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    #107 jssans, Sep 17, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The tech section has to be a good barometer. Not by number of posts but by number of people posting. I agree you won't find many latest model Ferrari owners there. But one thing we can count on when owning Ferraris no matter new or old. They get serviced frequently.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    But many of us Ferrari owners willing to pay for the best cars are ALSO willing to pay for the best mechanics for those cars... and thus have no need to seek direct technical help.

The tech section may be a good barometer of how many FerrariChatters work on their own cars. Interesting, but not pertinent to this thread.

9. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

These were not casual F Chatters they had many posts, were active and clearly owned Ferraris. Not a random sampling here which would be much different.
    Why would a fake chatter show up at a Ferrari event in the first place anyway?

20,000 real members here is a big streach also, look at the stats many have not visited in years let alone posted, plus how many duplicate accounts and other various inactive non real member accounts.T
    The real number should be 1/3 of that and if their were 400 real owners worldwide here that would bring the percentage higher to those that actually are here. As I said I would not doubt 1200 real owners passed through here and posted a few times along with other old members that have left which would bring the numbers to a higher percentage as well if you wanted to count them in.

10. jssans

jssans Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Josh
    The tech section gives us some degree confidence of those who own (& work on) Ferraris. I totally agree with you that there are many who don't work on their own Ferraris. So the question that started this thread is flawed & can never be answered honestly.

11. Dubai Vol

Dubai Vol Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    back in Dubai
    Full Name:
    Scot Danner
    No, I don't own a Ferrari. But my father recently purchased one, and I came here to get help diagnosing a minor technical fault, as I am familiar with the power of such a resource from my experience with a similar board for VWs.

Not only did the posters here provide great tech help, but I also discovered a strong community that impressed me very favorably. So I stop by now and then to see what folks are talking about. So whether you like it or not, you have a friend in Dubai and there's a beer waiting for any FerrariChat poster who makes to this neck of the woods, or to be more accurate, desert!

12. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

Too each his own but these newer Ferraris they pump out like Toyotas are not what many consider to be the best cars, the sales tax on quite a few older models would buy many new Ferraris today and part of the fun of owning these cars is working on them yourself and restoring them, it's got nothing to do if they are willing to pay for the so called best mechanics to work on them.

13. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Right, JP, but for those of us among the great unwashed, who didn't happen to pick up a 250 SWB, a Tour de France or other 'classic' road car more a few years ago, when they were under half a mill., and have reservations of some kind about writing out a check for a million or more today, we must make do with the more proletarian modern production car. (Yes, i know there are cars in the middle, eg. Daytonas, but your statement about sales tax suggested the bigger ticket cars). And, while i'm sure that there are many enthusiast owners who are very capable tearing down an engine or redoing an electrical system, I suspect that there are many owners of the most vaunted classic ferraris who must rely upon professional mechanics to do that work for them.
    If you are implying that the only true enthusiasts, by your measure, are those who own the big cars and do much of the work themselves, you are surely playing in a rarefied atmosphere. While those cars and owners are, i am sure, of great interest to many of us, they do not reflect the average owner, or the average owner on this board.
    BTW, someone else already asked about your past incarnation here. What's up with that?

14. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

If you look at Stradales post he is the one referencing ones that enjoy tinkering with their own cars as the great unwashed, unable to afford the best such as the elite that own new models.

It also doesn't mean those that work on their cars do total rebuilds but minor restorations such as the suspension rebuild for the 275 in the classic section are more than easy enough for someone of average mechanical skills as older Ferraris are relatively simple and enjoyable to work on, which adds a whole new dimension of involvement to your car.

And as far as who my prior user name was as much as those here that enjoy a good dramatic soap opra thread I'll pass as I said I'll leave it at that.

15. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    First, there is very little Toyota-like about Ferrari, or Ferrari-like about Toyota.

Sure, but we all have to pick our fun. While I'd have a blast restoring a Dino or Boxer or such, with my limited fun time I prefer to take a Ferrari to the track. To argue that I am not a Ferrari owner because I don't spend time in the Tech section because I don't work on my own car is ludicrous.

But it doesn't appear you're really trying to make that point anymore... you just seem to want to argue with anything that anyone says.

16. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Or maybe he realized you're always right and to voice any other opinion is pointless?

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    NOT!! With the advent of SD2, it is very difficult to do much tinkering with the modern cars. Thus, you see relatively little modern car activity in the Tech section. Many of the people in Tech section wouldn't want a modern Ferrari because they can have the fun of tinkering with it. Whether they can afford it or not is irrelevant.

18. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005

When did I say you were not a Ferrari owner?

I simply stated the new cars are not what many consider "the best", someone made a reference to many owners being in the tech section, if you read the posts their many real owners don't have the slightest clue concerning the mechanicals of vehicles such as starting threads about rusting brake rotors on their new Ferrari or various similar threads.

Also did I say all the real owners here post in the tech section?

Seems you are the one trying to argue and manipulate my statements.

19. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I like the avatar! :)

20. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    No, you didn't "simply state that"... you stated nonsense about Toyota and Ferrari. To this simple statement, I'll point out that I was referring to the people who paid big $$ to buy a Ferrari... presumably THEY thought it was the "best" or they are a bit insane. I was not making a statement about the larger masses' opinions of the cars.

Okay... this thread is about "How many [F-Chatters] own a Ferrari"... one of the arguments that I was refuting was that you could tell the real owners by whether they participate in the Tech section... since you were responding to my statements, the assumption is you were arguing on this topic.

But I see now I was mistaken... you are simply taking bits and pieces of people's statements and arguing against them outside of the context of this thread. My apologies for assuming you were speaking on-topic.

21. J.P.Sarti

J.P.Sarti Guest

May 23, 2005
    Seems to claifiry it, those that buy new Ferraris and think they are the best simply because they paid big $$ are wrong, as many older Ferraris cost much more than newer models so clearly they are better,

And its called an analogy so you know, Toyota and Ferrari are different but Toyota does pump out alot of cars today like Ferrari compared to the production numbers of older Ferraris in the past.

22. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    To Toyota, the Prius hybrid is a low-volume platform (for now). They hope to produce 400,000 of them in 2006. Ferrari will be targeting a bit over 4,000 cars from their entire line in 2006. It'll be a long time before Ferrari produces 400,000 total cars in their ENTIRE HISTORY. And that's just hybrid numbers for next year.

23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    #123 darth550, Sep 17, 2005
  24. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    don't tehy already make a 100k +............????

25. MCM

MCM Rookie

Aug 1, 2005
    #125 MCM, Sep 17, 2005
    Looks like I started a riot with my reply!
    I enjoy many cars, "F" cars are just one of them.
    Sorry If I offended you by not wanting to own one.
    And hats off to your physic powers in sizing up my
    age, financial & marital status.
    Oh, BTW, nice photo! LOL LOL
    Almost made me change my mind concerning ownership!
    -------------------------------------------
    I joined to see the pic's.
    Sorry, I have no interest in owning a Ferrari. )
    --------------------------------------------
    Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed Join Date: Aug 2005
    Full Name: Joe

You do not have to provide a Vin # to join, unlike the FCA. So you get a lot of "enthuisists", or wannabees if you prefer. Every guy wants to own a Ferrari, and many dream of it someday, and this site keeps that dream alive for them. Reality is, if you are 50, have two kids, a house, college costs on the horizon and you gross $65,000 a year, you will never afford a Ferrari. it must be hard to give into that reality and say, "I'm f*cked, my career is stalled, my expenses continue to increase, I can't retrain because I need the income coming in and I have no time for that anyway, my wife has put on 80lbs, my kids have blue and pink hair, my 14 year old wants to get a tattoo and clit piercing...."

So I think that some people come here to live vicariously the life they saw in their future, but eluded their present.

I posted for three weeks PRIOR to buying to gain information, now I have a Ferrari, as you can see in the picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login