How many times have your raced a ricer? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How many times have your raced a ricer?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Prancing_Horse, Mar 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I can never say no. Vipers, Porsches, Ricers, Ferrari( I am yet to see an other Ferrari owner go for it on the highway ) whatever. If I am on the highway and they see me coming and go for it I am ready. So far so good, I allways end up ahead I guess I am just lucky.

2. mswiek

mswiek Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2004
    Each time they pull alongside at the light I just figure I am going to start up smooth and slow. Usually, they sprint off then slow down to let me catch up so they can get another look. Amazing how you don't have to beat 'em to impress 'em. At the next light they are starting off slow, and keeping em just a bit in front of them so they can keep looking !!

3. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I usually ignore them and stick to the posted limits (+5/10) on the street, but there was one time.....my younger evil self took over and I floored my 66 Mustang Fastabck GT when an ethnically altered Honda tried to merge in front of me and cut me off ! There was no contest when the 4b Holley took its deep breath. My 63 Ferrari can probably be beaten by a Camry, so I just concentrate on looking like I am busy picking my nose or tuning the AM radio when someone wants to race...
    :)

thx
    luke

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Ewwwwwwwww...!!!
    That's gross and disgusting and you actually admitted it...!

...i can't believe you listen to AM radio... :D

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I usually ignore them. I did sort-of race a modified WRX STI on the highway the other day. It was fast but I was barely passing him. The guy was pretty excited.

But really, it's a no win situation. If you win, no one cares because it's a Ferrari vs. a 20k honda or whatever. If you lose, you got your ass kicked by a car that cost 1/5 or 1/10 of yours. Granted, it's not a Ferrari but still...

In all honesty, though, I don't really enjoy the thrill of going fast. I just enjoy the sound. :D

6. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    "i can't believe you listen to AM radio"

Once upon a time, thats all there was... :)

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

You get AM radio in your F car? I turned on my radio twice and looked for NPr (1340 here in Denver) and all I got was static. I don't care that much because I like to listen to the car but why do I not get AM and you do? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    I just let them get on with it,if they want to impress someone then so be it but they ain"t impressing me!
    Dave McGuire

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I do have the FM band on the period correct Blaupunkt Frankfurt Radio. I think I found the Disney channel for the kids on the AM band.
    And, NNO, the reference no nasal exploratory operation was a joke, or if you watch Seinfeld, it WAS NOT A PICK ! A scratch, only a scratch !!!!!!!!!

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I recall that when I had my 328 I got beat my rice rockets on a regular basis. I remembr getting spanked bad by Jim Weed in a Honda Civic at a track event once.

11. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
  12. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
  13. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    I have a story about a buddy of mine that will illustrate the following:

1) speed: straight line versus real world (meaning curves)
    2) prestige

My buddy has a Mitsubishi Eclipse that runs the quarter at 11.7 @ 119mph. It looks bone stock. Full leather interior, sound system, stock rims. Total sleeper car. I've driven it and I now know fast. Even my Z (405rwhp) isn't that fast.

We both went out to Willow Springs (big track). And it was like he was on a rubber band. He would just blow away everything down the straights, but everyone would catch him in the corners. It was funny to watch. And the other drivers were really pissed off because this went on the whole session. They just couldn't get around him.

But even though he's blown away a 512TR like it was standing still and embarrassed 911 Turbos, he still felt something was missing. Basically for him, the girls weren't paying attention. So now he's added a stock Porsche Boxter to his garage. He drives the Eclipse less now, only a toy now, and splits his time between the Lexus and the Porsche.

There's just something about the whole package...design, all-round performance, and history/prestige...that can't be replicated just by ricing out a car.

On that last point, did anyone see this weeks AUTOCAR article on the TOYOTA SUPERCAR? Toyota reliability and Japanese service intervals...this might be the next shock to affect Fcars since the NSX.

14. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I usually don't bother but one time a pretty moded looking Nissan 300ZX twin turbo was behind me asking really for it. We went at it and I dropped him like a hot potato.

15. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    it is stupid , immature, illegal and very dangerous to race on the street..i dont do it...if you want to race , go to a track or a drag strip....I would have though ferrari owners are more intelligent and mature to this!!!!!

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    see my " HOW TO DEAL WITH RICE CARS" thread in off topic. ( grin)

17. Never raced a ricer typically just ignore then after seeing many off the light races and some of them nearly resulting into accidents. But on a open highway at night in a Murcialgo 6.2 I be ready to race any ricer that wants it.

;)

18. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Only once starting at about 70 mph. After popping him, I realize it is to dangerous to going that fast with other drivers around.

19. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    You must be new to the forum to think Ferrari owners are more intelligent and mature than to street race. Ah yes, joined in January.

20. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I may have told this before, but on the way home one night on the highway I was passed by a ricer doing maybe 100 (I was crusing in my Lotus at 75). I let him go, and then he slows to a crawl until I go by, still at my constant speed. He zips by again! I wasn't about to race this guy so I just let him go until I was about 1/2 mile from my exit. He was just ahead of me and I went by him doing maybe 90. I ducked into the exit and he was right on my tail.

The exit is a long 'S' that I take at 40 MPH in the Honda; I was still at 75 in the Lotus and just about at the edge in the first turn. He started fading back. When I got to the end of the second turn he was way, way back there. I stopped at the red light at my street and he pulled up along side and gave me a thumbs up. I thought that was cool!

Ken