How many users is the "right" size for FerrariChat.com? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How many users is the "right" size for FerrariChat.com?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

How many users is the "right" size for FerrariChat.com?

1. 1,000

2. 5,000

3. 25,000

4. As large as it gets.

5. 1,000

6. 5,000

7. 25,000

8. As large as it gets.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I respectfully disagree.

2. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    :D hey, as you see we are working hard on it! ;)

3. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    that's the reason for the name of our european event "FerrariChat Rally Europe 2004". also to get publicity and do promotion for ferrarichat.

4. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I agree with henryk's line of thinking here with the further clarification that "only owners and/or dues paying members may post" in technical and other forums, perhaps with the exception of Off Topic. The whole world can view.

I think it's coming time to do it -let's decide how much the dues to post should be. OOPS!! That is up to you, Rob, but I suggest $100, more or less. Ten bucks might limit some of the trolls until they get their allowance...

5. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Come again? Tons of people have suggested it be a pay site. The 'Charge for access' thing.

I'll go a step further and say I think pay-to-post wouldn't work either, because I think many overestimate the value the bystanders would place on being able to post.

I think by far the best solution is to pay for additional features. At the Corvette forum, you could pay and get an avatar. At the Viper forum, you can pay and get access to some more racy sections of the board, and access to members-only boards. At other sites, you get a 'contributor' under your name. Don't underestimate the value people place on such things.

6. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

I disagree with almost all of that. So, let's settle the issue, and poll the members as to the question of pay to post.

The serious members, and the actual owners will, IMO, pay to post.
    The others will, of course, vote no.
    Paying for an avatar is nonsense when most fcar members have paid $50-$500k for their rides.

There is *Way* too much junk to wade through in general & technical anymore, and I believe henryk has the right idea.
    Perhaps non members could still post in OT, although that would probably
    beg the same problem.

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    www.ferrarichat.com/conversion.htm

8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

In my relative newbie opinion (but happily an owner):

1. It's not about money and making Rob a dot-com gazillionaire... it's about using membership fees to limit the number of posters. Simply charging a fee for an avatar or "top-secret" sections of the board doesn't necessarily improve the quality of the postings. In fact, it probably just drives the high-quality posts into a seperate forum.

2. Everyone should be able to view/read everything. Obviously, that's the most sensible approach. Nobody will pop for membership fees if they don't know what's awaiting them on the inside.

3. Proof of ownership seems too exclusive. There are plenty of non-owners here with tons of great information (racing, vintage, etc) that I'd sorely miss if they're excluded.

4. Here's a wild (and potentially stupid) suggestion: Let's try out the pay-to-post model. How about if Rob collects the fees and puts everything into an escrow account? Depending on how much he's collected in 30-60 days, we activate the feature at that time. If not enough has been collected (perhaps 30% of the total membership maybe?) the amounts are refunded. You've got plenty of time for all this administrative crap, right Rob? Perhaps a PayPal account or something would work...

Just my 2 kwanzas

-Daniel

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Now there's an idea! :) Poor NNO will go insane.

10. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    That means, no more creative, helpfull, intelligent posts, lots of voyeurs = peep-show. No thats not the answer or solution!;-( Try harder!

@Rob, I spoke to our FCD today - get in touch with the gents they are waiting for your mail/call. I will see the crew on Friday, advice me if you need any more infos regarding:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6911&page=1&pp=20

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Uhhh, I don't get it... why?

12. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    ..pay for each post 1$:D

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

13. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

With over 10,000 posts to his credit, NNO is clearly a member of the "idle rich" class, who can easily afford membership! How else to explain the amount of time he's devoted to the forum? (just kidding) Actually, here's a better idea: Anybody with 7500+ posts at the time you institute the fees could be given a free 1-year membership.

But enough talk.. how about some action? Setup a PayPal or something, and I'll put my money where my mouth (er, keyboard) is.

-Daniel

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ouch! Imagine the firestorm of messages of people trying to rack up to that magic number.

I still think a simple base fee per user per year would do the trick. Full access to everything, whether you're an owner or not. Easy to manage for Rob as well. The bigger question is IMHO: How much?

15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I think a pay to post defeats the purpose of the community. If I want to show some information to the community or help a fellow board member I don't think paying to post helps this along.

I still feel the issue is keeping the quality of the site high. Charging a nominal annual fee to decrease the noise level and improve quality works.

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Nothing is happening anytime soon. I'm waiting for Dr. Tax to speak up. He's one of those intellectual types and has read all the organizational behavior books instead of FHM like me. There's something interesting about some theories he's read. The professor that wrote the book even had observed this behavior in online communities.

Basically, I think the jest of it is I'm not in control, all of you are. The masses will evolve the board where they want it to go and if not it will fall apart. Am I right Dale? I haven't read the book, but it makes some sense. I've been unintentionally following that theory the entire time, maybe that's why it has been successful. I realize the users are the most important component of this board and I endlessly talk things through and get a mass opinion before I make the change.

17. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Guys... I do NOT think anybody is proposing pay PER post... the billing alone would be a nightmare... and we don't want to discourage quality posts.

The phrase "pay to post" means you have to pay an annual fee to become a member in order to post messages. That phrase is distinct from "pay to view"... which like "pay per post" has nobody promoting.

I think the questions are:
    1) What is the annual fee? $10? $20? $25? $0?
    2) Do we offer a 5-year or 10-year discounted fee? $50/10years?
    3) Does Rob want this? (Even if we are all for it; this becomes a burden for Rob that he has to be willing to take on.)

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    OK, since Dr. Tax has me on this Emergence Theory stuff, let me show you what I posted to some other vB admins to get their feedback. Dozens of admins looked at it and no one really had anything negative to say about it, so let me show you...

From my experience I believe a 100% paid site won't work. I think some level of free membership needs to be available. The question is what permissions should be available at that free level and also the paid levels.

FREE
    - Read only access everywhere.
    - Post access GFD and OT only.
    - No avatar, no profile, no PM's, no attachment/image post or view.
    - No tech support

$14.95
    - Post access everywhere.
    - Avatars, profile, PM's, and full attachment functionality.
    - Personal tech support

$49.95
    - Personal tech support
    - Title label
    - Personal email address
    - T-shirt

Lifetime $199.95
    - Lifetime privileges
    - Personal tech support
    - Title label
    - Personal email address
    - T-shirt

I don't think the above is perfect, but it's a start to discus. If free users can still post, will we really filter out the trolls?

For the hundredth time, but it always comes up and we have many new users...

The reason I think some form of subscriptions will be required is to put a revenue component inline with the cost component of more users. I don't care if we have 1,000 users or 10,000 users as long as my costs are covered. The bandwidth and other technical costs aren't that great, my real cost is personal time. I started this to share my Ferrari passion with a few dozen others. Now I've moved away from my original goal and I'm basically just a 1st line help desk assisting users. I could just pick 1,000 users and close the board to others. However, I'm going to give it a shot and see if I can financially have it make sense to still grow. From the other poll we had this week others want to see FC grow too. The free market system will take care of itself. If it grows to 20,000 users or goes back to a very small community I don't give a rats ass. I worked a help desk back in college for $5 an hour and I'm not doing it again for 20,000 users unless it financially makes sense. There will always be a FerrariChat.com, whether that is 100 users or 100,000 is no matter to me. Actually, 100 sounds pretty good. :D

19. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Rob, it's sounding better....

$14.95 is the cost of a pizza. I vote bottom around $50 - that's just my opinion, and contrary to what some may think, I'm no longer all that well off. :(
    9/11 may have put a permanent end to my current line of work.

It's still a *great* board but it's getting more to where you need to have wings to stay above the childish BS, and time to burn to find the good stuff.

20. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL...! i would... Maybe we could work out a bulk rate... :D

21. ryder

ryder Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    Damn! Ferraris are expesive enough, now I have to pay to talk about them too? :)

22. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I like the basics behind Rob's last post, and hell, I would love a T-shirt!!!:)

23. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Not out of GFD and OT! Instead of that, I recommend you add one additional forum called "Free". Anyone can post there. Have a sticky note there pointing out that some of the regular members will visit and answer questions, but many will stay away because of the trolls, excessive traffic, and so on that are generally avoided on the regular forums. I'm sure some regular members will enjoy being helpful experts on the free forums... but many (like myself) will never go there.

In contrast, if you do what you suggested, GFD will turn into "Free" (many regular members stay away), and then for lack of anywhere else to post general Ferrari stuff, Technical will turn into "paid GFD". Then someone will request a "Really Technical"! ;)

I think adding a "Free" ends up fairly ideal... as the newbies can not only read everything, they can also try their hand at posting, with the understanding that they are doing it in the "unprotected" free zone where many of the regulars never go.

One other suggestion... no pennies... $15 and $50. ;)

Lifetime sounds a bit risky to me... you're committed forever... if it was me, I'd do 10year... HOWEVER, as a user, I'm fine with Lifetime as that's what I'll do.

But make sure you make it clear that Lifetime doesn't mean "no rules"... if you get banned, you get banned, no refund. (You have to specify no refund... if you allow refunds, then people who want a refund will go out of their way to harass the forums so that they get banned and can get a refund.)

Brian

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is why I discus this openly, that's a great idea! Leave GFD and OT to subscribers and allow anything in "Free".

Maybe just have 1 year, 1 year premium, and then a 5 year. That's about as long as a shirt will last anyway. :)

Also, I just want to note that on a case by case basis I will promote users to the subscribed level for FREE. For sure the techs, historians, and sponsors. We're not going to loose any of the top of the top value adding users.

25. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    this is the best open discussion we have had as a community in a long time. great ideas here. i have no problem paying, although i would really REALLY rather not have to use PAYPAL at all.