How much does owning your ferrari cost you? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

How much does owning your ferrari cost you?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Carsonp, Apr 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #51 GrigioGuy, Jun 22, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

BBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Breath

BBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

3. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    ROTFLMAF!!!!!!!!!!!

4. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt
    WELCOME TO THE DARK SIDE TILLMAN!

5. PassionIsFerrari

PassionIsFerrari Formula 3

Aug 15, 2004
    Some people on this site are just too good at 'adding the numbers up'. Wyo-n Earth would you ever try to fool them.

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    What is 'werd'? If you are trying to say weird, then do a spell check and say it.

The purpose of the post is that the cost of the cars is minimal, compared to POS gold digging spouses that don't work, contribute nothing and then steal as much as they can on the way out.

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    #57 FarmerDave, Jun 22, 2005
    Good one Matt, I can pick it up from here!

Exhibit A
    Equinox2a claims that “a guy in wyoming sent him pics of a yellow F50” And that he's "trying to capture the elegance of the 1960's Berlinettas, like the 275; And will keep his OEM wheels for tracking"
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135008386&postcount=4

Equinox2a says "I like the HRE designs, especially in how the "wire" spokes will make my 550 look a bit like the 275 wheels from the 1960's."...
    "I plan to mount a new set of Bridgestones on HRE's for street and keep my OEM Speedlines and Bridgestones for tracking. I want to keep a common tire so I'm used to (its) characteristics."
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135000908&postcount=99

Exhibit B
    Equinox enthralls us with tales of the driving prowess of a “Gorgeous yellow 550”
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=134983907&postcount=15

Exhibit C
    Wyo550 is obsessed with front license plates (see whole thread):
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57235
    So is Equinox, he wants to know all about the front plate of a euro car:
    (notice that he also signs off as “Bob” when his profile says his first name is Bill)
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135009169#post135009169

WYO550/EQUINOX2A
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. matteo

matteo F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    On a plane somewhere
    Full Name:
    Heir Butt

Ya....what he said.

9. bookapro

bookapro Rookie

Nov 7, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga USA
    Full Name:
    Ej
    #59 bookapro, Nov 28, 2010
  10. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    wow! Talk about a "bump". Always nice to see folks actually using "search"

:)

Jedi

11. RMRClub

RMRClub Rookie

Mar 7, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Two Ferraris, I have had an 86 328 for 11 years and a 72 Dino 246 for 6 years. They both get about 20 miles/gallon and I put about 2K miles on each of them a year. Insurance, due to a great driving record is $1300/year for both. I do my own oil changes and minor work (changing wiper blades, etc). Completing the 5year service and misc. breakages the bills have totaled about $9K for both, again 11years on the 328 and 6 on the Dino. I bought sound cars and smartly. However, my TOTAL cost of owning those Ferraris had been about $160,000 not including purchase prices. What I neglected to consider are the costs associated with what I call the big "M" Merchandizing. I needed to buy as many model Ferrari's as possible, Ferrari books from all over the world and in languages I don't even know, but pictures are good, Ferrari clothing, numerous magazine subscriptions, Ferrari Art in which one was a custom commission, and then the Club activities to include Formula 1 races, Club tours, Two Copperstate 1000's and the local stuff. And my wife loves them, at least the Dino, so no wife tax. My biggest mistake was waiting too long to have a car, cars of my dreams. Go for it.

12. fgcfire8

fgcfire8 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2008
    Montpelier Va
    Full Name:
    Frank Castelvecchi
    The Mondial costs me about what the 17 yr old daughter's 1988 Volvo 240 costs me.
    Including insurance difference Volvo $830 vs Ferrari $165 maintenance and body work on the Volvo this year has exceeded the maintenance cost on the Ferrari--both done at home.
    Volvo likely gets 3x the milage.

13. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    A thread from 2005, how great. I was thinking about this recently. If I'd have known how much I'd have put into my car into the last year I'd never have purchased the car. I'm glad I didn't know because I don't regret a dollar. Of course on a 24 year old car I replaced a lot of 24 year old rubber. I need a new convertible top now, and a few other items. Again, no regrets. Love my car.

14. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I don't want to talk about it :(

15. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    I just cook the books and thwart the back of the envelope accounting of cost that my head instictively does by driving my car to take my mind off the subject.

16. The Red Baron

The Red Baron Formula 3

Jan 3, 2005
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I have found that costs vary on my Ferraris. All that is except for costs such as insurance. This is pretty standard at so many dollars per $1000.
    Except for replacement parts and fuel, basically the older the car the less it cost in everything else. Road charges are less, service charges, etc. Any supercar costs are at a premium. The cost of wiper blades, Cavillino sheilds and most other items for an F40 that are common to a 308/328, have that extra cost applied by the conncessioner if you do not advise them to buy 308 parts.
    I have found that Supercar cost are the most expensive generally, even though a vintage Ferrari may be several times the value.

17. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Dont want to talk about it, but mine hasn't been too bad so far.

PDG

18. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    93 cents so far. Is that good?

:D:D

[ps... I'm a pathological liar - NO I'M NOT - yes, I am :D]

19. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Again, another internal conversation I had today justifying what I need to do. It went something along the line of "I don't need clothes, watches and my DD is fine. I don't need to spend money on anything, is it too much to ask to put every other available penny into the F-car. I don't think so"

I'm figuring about $5K before spring time and I just put $5K into my car in parts last spring. And the kicker is nothing is broken or was broken and the car hasn't skipped a beat since the day I purchased it. I could probably just drive it but I'm still going through the sorting process of getting the car where I want it. The only thing that was necessary since I purchased the car was one leaking minor coolant line.

I'm glad my wife doesn't want to know how much I spend on the car, she just knows it's a lot, but she doesn't complain. The only negative thing I've heard was when I talked about getting another she said "no more Ferraris" Although she is excited about our local FCA dinner coming up.

I got an e-mail from a motorcycle club member today looking for used push rod tubes from anyone who might have some sitting around because from the dealer they are "gasp" $35.00 EACH. The four of them would kill the budget, heheheheheh. I didn't have the heart to respond to that. Can't blame him though, my bike has been neglected and I don't have $35.00 for mine either, my money is spoken for. Did I mention I get a lot of pleasure out of owning my car. No regrets or complaints here. Dollars are cheap in trade for what I get :) I can't explain why I feel the way I do about this. In the rest of my life I'm a cheapskate, tightwad, etc.

20. aleesterdonald

Dec 6, 2010
    Seriously, I think it probably cost me about $ 2-5K on average over the last two years (not including financing, insurance and fuel). I can not really give a really accurate figure because I change cars a lot. (4328 in the last year)