How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06? | FerrariChat

How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I know the paradigm is to stick one's nose in the air and declare people will never cross shop the brands, but lets face it...If you Google a sound clip the Corvette sounds way more Ferrari than a modern Ferrari. Engine seems really well designed and full of exotic features. Thoughts?

https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/13-things-you-didnt-know-about-chevys-670hp-lt6-v-8/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=MED_UN_NA_EML_UN_SaturdayRoadTrip_NoDynamicNoDOTW&hashed_email=f3e78fbaffae966537119b90bdbfa494347aa093c2d8e12984b603bc5c9588a1

Keith Brown and LARRYH like this.
  2. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Here is a clip of the sound

3. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I dont think it matters, corvettes will never, ever , ever be as incredible looking as a Ferrari, its that simple. OH I paid so much less for my chevy, which is faster than your Ferrari, well I say, who gives a F^^^ !! lol PS. the only good thing about the new c8, is that it has no push rods, I think Im correct.

Thank you,

4. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    i think its a threat to all makes. similar to what the NSX was when it came out but Ferraris will always be lusted after.

Boomhauer, gregwang, F1 Tico and 7 others like this.
  5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I don't care what nameplate is on the front of the car or steering wheel. It could be a bow-tie, it could be a horse, or it could be a cockroach. If the car is beautifully designed, well engineered, drives great and makes me feel good, then its a winner. I doubt I'll ever have a Z06 in my garage (or a F8 for that matter), but I'm pretty flippin' enamored with the new Z06. Pure horsepower and lateral G wars are boring, so to stick my nose in the air and claim Ferrari superiority in category 'A' or metric 'B' seems myopic.

Personally, YES, I think Ferrari will need to up their game in build quality to match just about anything from Chevrolet -- like they did with the NSX. The stuff that I sell for modern Ferraris is downright depressing and nobody should accept a car that can't go 15,000 miles on wheel bearings, variator solenoids, accessory belt pulleys, etc.

The Ferrari 296 needs to be a runaway success in terms of quality, and price/performance. I'm betting it will be. And then some.

6. 83Mondialqv

83Mondialqv Formula Junior

May 18, 2021
    New York
    Full Name:
    Vito L
    gregwang, Grandmaster and dpw98 like this.
  7. Tony91505

Tony91505 Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2005
    So cal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    It seems to me that Chevy is offering the only V8 na, with fpc no less, in a sports car today. If you have been on this forum long enough, you would know the preference for na high rpm sound was the Fcar signature for years. Today, if that’s what ur looking for in a mid engine platform, seems like the zo6 is the only game in town. So, yes, they will be taking buyers from other brands.

DIGMAN52, turbokraft, ggjjr and 2 others like this.
  8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Just out of curiosity, do you see the same thing with Lamborghini? I wonder if it’s an Italian thing or more of a Ferrari thing.

The Z06 will take some money away from Ferrari but not that much. I don’t think most people buying new Ferraris have performance as their main motivation.

dpw98 likes this.
  9. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    paulchua likes this.
  10. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    One of my favorite quotes from Enzo is 'suspensions are for people who don't know how to build engines'. Chevy looks to have built a pretty good engine here.

turbokraft and paulchua like this.
  11. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Modern Lamborghinis (Audi-era) absolutely raised the 'quality game' for Ferrari. It sure as heck wasn't the other way around.

Ferrari is world-leading in engineering and design -- and I love love love it. They suck the llamas ass when it comes to build quality.

I'd love to be proven wrong, in the very near future.

12. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ferrari is going to be a small more compact more stylish car. It too will sound great and with the hybrid there will be no turbo lag.
    On a twisty mountain road it will also prbably be better to steer. It will also be notably lighter, which if you go tot he track is simply better.
    Realisticaly no one or close to no one tracks a modern ferrari, theyre prohibitive to run, and theyre not that durable on track. Ferraris are therefore ultimately cool machines that are primarily status symbols which are rarely if ever used to their full capability, a vette is not a threat to that market niche.

I have no doubt the 296 will stylisticay be more than a few notches above the vette both exteruor and interiuor, its Italain design. Its paper performace will be better and it will sound supreme. However those paper metrics are all so extreme now that the differences are ones of stats more than real world performance.

Since the era of Luca ferraris have become both more acomplished and blandly useable, abandoning the driving enthusiast in the search for a wider acceptance and more margin on options to boomers. The vette its going after the Driver in z06 form, which in the 2ks means those who track..

If youre primarily a driver, well time was when a ferrari really was built differently and a performance paradigm better than other cars, they offered something for the driver others didnt and ferrari did it better. Thats simply not the case anymore, there are any number of competitors in more or less the same performance orbit and if youre a driver some who do it better, Gt3 porches as a perfect example. To that list we can now add chevrolet who build a car you can use more of the time, notably on track which is where modern perfomance is used. None of these competitors have ferrari brand status or their styling.

Corvette while now being an "exotic" does not have the styling purity or harmony of a ferrari. Its going to miss out on a bunch of little details that make euro products so appealing and it does not have the badge/status( to the extent thats relevant). However the vette at this point its far more of the serious drivers car, the type ferrari used to build, not least because its a car you can take to the track and reasonably run it and it has THE powerplant. Today an exotic you cant track, its a status symbol, a really cool trinket.

This site and market market numbers indicate most ferrari owners are obsessed with paint correction, staying below 5k miles and "investment value" Possibly a few dont care, and even those choose to track somehting more suitable.

The downsides of the corvette are its size, crude deatils and 500lbs extra weight which is going to burn tires and brakes and not really the way to go. At 100k thats a lot of tires to burn, and it will have a warrantlky and last.

The corvette is a threat to ferrari only to the extent ferrari wnast to reclan a driver mantle which the past 15 years of products and sales indicate they dont or need to.
    Ferrari could have made a new Dino, sometthing in the mold of the Mc20 but smaller lighter, they simply dont care about purist drivers anymore.

In the end though the size and outre styling of the vette, its more like a lamborghini that works and one that handles like a Gt3 porche.
    The vette is no threat to ferrari because the traditional ferrari buyer driver decamped from ferrari long ago, and the vette cannot offer the styling or status which is a customer niche ferrari owns where the vette will never tread. It would be great though if the vette woke ferrari up from its brand arrogance and they made car for the driver again, just because they feel like maybe they should. CF tub under 3000lbs NA minimal frippery and under 300k.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Ill bet they know how to do suspension too.

turbokraft, Boomhauer and paulchua like this.
  14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    would be interesting to see how thw z06 engine finishes in the engine of the year ballots.

paulchua likes this.
  15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

The easy way out is forcefed turbos/supercharging or hybrid flywheels all of which have compromises(forcefed) or cost $$$$(hybrid), this time vette did it right, bravo.

turbokraft likes this.
  16. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    It's still a F----ing GM product. Enough said.

Grandmaster and HotShoe like this.
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ reminding you that GM make the magna ride suspension for Ferrari. in other words, Ferrari buys GM suspensions.

turbokraft, Boomhauer, ggjjr and 10 others like this.
  18. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    Given a chance I will add a Z06 convertible to my stable which includes a Ferrari 458 Spider.

Obviously I have not seen the new Z06 let alone driven it, but the Ferrari is almost certainly the keeper if I could only have one.

paulchua likes this.
  19. DBomb117

DBomb117 Formula Junior

Jun 20, 2019
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Dimitriy
    Very impressed with the 5.5L v8 that they put out and like all Z06’s it will perform, but that highlighter yellow press car they’re parading around just looks like the “Great Value” brand version of a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  20. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The GM car is for daily driving and value conscious buyers. Ubiquitous on the highways. None of which is similar to Ferrari or other exotics.

paulchua and HotShoe like this.
  21. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    That point can’t be ignored but isn’t generally accepted when considering the Ford GT for example.

Boomhauer and paulchua like this.
  22. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I do believe people will cross shop.
    I am part of a large Ferrari enthusiast group, and we drive our cars and we love Ferrari. Two guys bought C8s (Z51) and both say the exact same thing: they enjoy their ‘vettes more than their 458/488s. Now turn the wick up on the Z06, which they are ordering, and I’d say their Ferrari’s are pretty much kicked out the door.
    As for me personally? I’m a huge Ferrari nut. My choice going forward for mid-engined sports car seems to be:
    A) Ferrari with V6 hybrid, turbos, GPF, and sound like a Dyson vacuum.
    B) A Z06 with NA 5.5L screamer with no GPF, 0-60 in ~2.6 sec, and no mileage concerns.
    Ummmm....I’ll be strongly strongly considering option B).
    Though it might be easier getting my hands on a 296 over a Z06 ironically enough.

turbokraft, paulchua, VAF84 and 6 others like this.
  23. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I seriously doubt Ferrari are remotely worried about the new vet, or any vet for that matter. Totally different market points in my view.

Mclaren and Lamborghini; yes, but a vet, no.

Grandmaster, paulchua and gliazzurri like this.
  24. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    IMO if you place no value on cachet then the C8 is a formidable Ferrari competitor for a mid-engine sports car. Comparable performance and sound with (yes) lower maintenance costs and much lower price. But despite the giant leap by GM, what keeps me away is the boy racer video console interior and the Kardashian-esque giant rear flanks and tortured rear end design (front half looks great though). I don’t know if it’s possible for GM to style a car that can appeal to mature buyers accustomed to Ferrari classic styling and also the 20/30-something F&F crowd that clearly is part of their target market. Oh, not being able to see the engine on the convertible is also a non-starter for me.

boxerman likes this.