How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06? | Page 5 | FerrariChat

How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jk356

jk356 Rookie

Jul 10, 2017
    midwest
    Full Name:
    jeff k
    Do you think Ferrari is better in terms of quality now that significant parts of the car are outsourced? Getrag for dct, brembo for brakes, bosch for fuel systems, etc

2. Douglas52

Douglas52 Rookie

May 5, 2015
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    IMO
    I can't imagine that there is any doubt that the new Corvette is a spectacular machine, With its look, potential output, and Chevy's background in track experience the Z06 will be an even more amazing car. And for the price (sub $130K) It doesn't have many competitors.
    But Ferrari is much more than just the vehicle, it's an innate passion, a feeling, an emotion perhaps difficult to put into words, but the feeling/comfort/joy I get even just sitting in my car.

If it's speed you're after, heck the Tesla "Plaid" is stupid quick and the Hellcat/Demond has the same type of crazy "useless" horsepower (I use the word useless because unless you're on a track, or a wide, open, empty road, without the fear of other drivers that aren't paying attention to the road because they're obsessed with their phones/papers/radios... or police intervention (I don't care how empty the road is, that panic feeling you get just from the thought of being stopped by the police (especially at those speeds) is always in the back of my mind and it moves to the front the faster I drive).

There are already thousands of beautiful, monetarily tangible C8's on the road and there will be MANY more thousands of those as well as Z06's and eventually Grand Sport and ZR1s as the years go by, but I believe that true car lovers will still obsess about owning a Ferrari.
    In their 75 years of production, (I believe) Ferrari has yet to reach 250,000 cars, and if I look at a great car like Porsche, it has exceeded 1,000,000 911's (and its variants) and Porsche is STILL an amazing, extremely popular, very sought after car among enthusiasts.

There have been, and will ALWAYS be competitors POUNDING at Ferraris door, but that's because Ferrari "IS" the level of acceptance, desire, want, "even" need that others are stretching to achieve.

Recently I attended at a local Coffee and Cars event with my 1987 328 GTS, an overwhelming number of the public that was milling around the 50 plus car attendance, took pictures beside/around the dozen or so Ferraris, Lambos and McLarens that arrived (including my silly little 270 hp, almost 35-year-old 328 GTS) and not so much of the 16 or so C8's that were parked.

Perhaps it's the perceived "Unobtainium" aura that gets people excited about the brand.

Again, this is just my opinion

3. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't think it is much of a threat to Ferrari at all from a sales perspective. The biggest threat to Ferrari is Ferrari: 1) the cars get less attractive as they get further away from Pininfarina; 2) the complex interior electronics (haptics, etc.) are going the wrong direction; 3) the sound has gone away; 4) they build too many, have too many models, and replace the models too quickly; 5) the Scuderia has become a second tier F1 team, etc.

812gts is the exception... :D

Also, the C8 Z06 looks like an amazing car.

4. khurley

khurley Rookie

Aug 31, 2004
    Berkeley CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Hurley
    Do like I did: get one of each! (2007 Z06 + 2006 F430 spyder). It's the best of both worlds.

5. TuttoBene

TuttoBene Karting

Sep 6, 2020
    Full Name:
    Doug
    It's clear that the C8 has been aiming directly at the 458 and this is the sincerest form of flattery. My own selfish desire is that the C8 puts downward pressure on the price of 458s because when I'm ready to upgrade my current track car (360) that's the one I want. But in 2021 Ferrari probably cares about the C8 in the same way that Tesla cares about a Nissan Leaf - they don't.

Ferrari will continue to innovate and make amazing cars. But the Ferrari of the future will look more like an SF90, not a 458. That's just how progress works and it doesn't matter what dinosaurs like me think.

I'm really happy for the state of American innovation with regard to Tesla and the C8. Even if it took decades for the vette to catch on. I suspect that there's a real Ferrari fan inside the GM engineering ranks. If I worked for them, this is the vette that I would want.

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Nope.

7. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Personally, I don't think the Z06 presents any threat to Ferrari. Ferrari owners might add a Z06 to their garage if anything, but I don't see a buyer opting for the Z06 in lieu of a Ferrari. Has nothing to do with performance as the Z06 will be a monster. I don't see these cars being cross shopped as they are in such different price segments.

Petrolhead#32 and F2003-GA like this.
  8. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Exactly

9. Petrolhead#32

Petrolhead#32 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2020
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Petrolhead#32
    Agreed. The power of the Ferrari brand is too big to be worried about rational factors (performance). Kinda the same for Lambo.

I think the new Z06 will give Porsche and McLaren some trouble. I think if you're in the market for a GT3, you can't ignore this new Z06. I like it a lot...

10. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Enzo and 458 years were the pinnacle for Ferrari in my opinion. After that Ferrari lost their soul. I think the new Z06 is a large enough threat to Ferrari’s new sales that they are likely thinking about it (albeit a 5-10% at most threat). My local chevy dealer has a 488 and a 765LT for sale…..both traded for the new Vettes on order.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

VAF84 likes this.
  11. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Having owned one I wondered if the 4c would even work as a manual. It has this tiny motor with a huge turbo. There was turbo lag. If you changed gears slower you might always be in the lag period. With the F1 box it just kept the engine revving high all the time to create minimum turbo lag between shifts. Or you would be driving the car all the time at the redline which may sound cool but doesn't work in most city driving situations -- especially when it made so much engine and exhaust noise. The 4c is one car you cannot use a cell phone when driving.

12. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    The C8 was modeled after the 458 and the designers said this. Personally, I think the corvette tries too hard. The side intakes are too big and when lined in chrome, just plain gauche. Same for the badges. Also, the engine is a pushrod engine, at least a generation behind OHC and another behind direct injection, but it does provide a small engine package allowing a lower CG. The car is a performer and costs significantly less than a Ferrari to buy and maintain. Apparently it is selling very well and I see many of the on the streets here in Naples, FL. I’m not about to sell my 458 to get any corvette but they have a good formula and I wish them great success. Competition makes all the Marques better. As a final note the tail lights on the c8 look like the Camaro lights and cheap but they look cheap on the SF 90 also. Are the magnetorheological shocks and taillights from the same parts bin?

Culprit likes this.
  13. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    GM market cap is $84b, Ferrari is $65b. Tesla $1.235T. Makes no sense but it is interesting. I own 1 Ferrari and 39 shares of Tesla. Which one should I sell?

14. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Because Ferrari made the mistake of dropping Pininfarina.

15. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    yep, creative destruction. Look at the change in the Dow 30 or the S&P 500 over the years. Nothing lasts forever in the world of innovation. Remember how many different companies made cars in America back years ago? But, some things are timeless…art, diamonds, beautiful women, Swiss watches, Ferraris.

Viperjoe likes this.
  16. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    You can drive a 458, 488, and F8 all day everyday and put 100k miles on these cars with nothing more than simple yearly service with excellent reliability. Hard stop and To say otherwise is a complete falsehood.

The reason why you don’t see many Ferrari owners doing this is their own fear of adding miles and devaluing the car that way, this is known as FAD (Ferrari Anxiety Disorder). It has NOTHING to do with the cars and everything to do with the owners.

I own a 458 will 31k miles… it is my ONLY car, I drive it all day everyday and plan to do so for years to come and look forward to hitting 100k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spezia, Rick Weston and italiafan like this.
  17. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    There have been C8’s at every track day I’ve been to over the last few months. My biggest takeaway is plastic. The body and paint even looks like plastic. I just can’t stop seeing plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AtomicPunk88 and stretchgeneral like this.
  18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    47K on my ‘13 458 Spider. Changed one wheel speed sensor for $500. That’s it. Rock solid.

19. FerrariCognoscenti

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
  20. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The 4C would have been pretty crappy with a manual. People will always find excuses, oh only if it had a manual! So what if it would have had a manual, 300 more would have sold? The 4C would still not sell very well. I was in the manual only mentality before I got my 4C and once I drove it I realized you don't miss much. Plus the fact that Alfa went to so much trouble to make a lightweight sports car made it enough for me to "forgive" the no manual.

TheMayor likes this.
  21. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I can tell you with 100% certainty why the 4c didn't sell well. Just watch anyone who was interested in the car try to get in and out of it the first time. My GF refused to get into it.

Then , if they actually got in the car, they looked out the rear view mirror and saw almost nothing behind them.

Super car to drive but a PITA on about everything else.

G. Pepper and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I've had three Ferraris now - 456M, 308 GTSi, and now a 360 Modena manual - and I made them perfect, which cost about $60K total, so I'm at the BTDT stage with Ferraris. I've boiled it down to a Superformance GT 40 Mk I or the new Z07 for my next "exotic". Not interested in any Ferrari but the one and only yellow manual 612 anymore. Also it will be nice to have reasonable parts and service.

I'm watching this one to get an idea of what they're going for now.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-ford-gt-40-5/

Rare in that it's a 302. Most have Roush 454's, which are ridiculously powerful and not tractable at all.

23. RichardT

RichardT Rookie

Jan 14, 2021
    Full Name:
    Richard david Tullett

24. Rick Weston

Rick Weston Karting

Mar 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    Richard Weston
    artistry in a mechanical creation

25. mrjoey