How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

How much of a threat to Ferrari is the new Z06?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, Oct 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Are you referring to the C8 Z06 engine? It is not pushrod.

VAF84 likes this.
  2. mrjoey

mrjoey Rookie

Mar 10, 2021
    Full Name:
    Joseph J Thompson
    2023 model with DOHC is an option? Current model?

3. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Yes. It's called called.the z06. The subject of this thread.

Viperjoe and italiafan like this.
  4. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

5. Marko Mandaric

Marko Mandaric Karting

Jan 22, 2020
    I love the chaos a car like this brings.

6. Macadoscious

Macadoscious Rookie

May 12, 2019
    Full Name:
    Mac MacDonald
    Love the sound, but Corvette is a Ferrari wannabe about 50 years late to the game.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    This promotional video is quite interesting.

The claim, which they justify well, is that they were at the end of the development road with the pushrod engine.

It is interesting that they don't mention Ferrari in their list of competitors. I think they justify that too: they are just after being fastest and most powerful subject to the limits of a naturally aspirated V8. Ferrari is much more than that.

In the video they certainly hit us over the head with the sonics of a flat plane crankshaft V8 but, wow, it sounds good!

VAF84 likes this.
  8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    I don’t care how good it sounds, it is a carbon copy of the 458 sound and was engineered to be that way. Every time you hit the gas you think to yourself “wow, this sounds like a Ferrari.” But it’s not. Many people don’t care- I do.

The Z06 is equivalent to a kit car of a 458. It may sound like a duck, it may even slightly look like a duck, and perform close to the duck, but it’s not a duck.

I don’t buy anything that is an homage (read: copy) and I won’t start with a Z06.

The Ferrari is Hermes, and the Corvette is the Coach/Michael Kors knockoff. Still holds your wallet, and does all the same things, and even looks the same to those who have no clue about high fashion, but that Coach purse it ain’t no Birkin.

Take the barrier of entry (money) out of the equation and there is just no reason whatsoever to buy a Chevrolet over a Ferrari. Hard stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Say what you will, but GM is only meeting the demand of the market. There may be demand for the exclusivity and design of the Ferrari, but there is little if any demand for it's power plant as evidenced by the constant complaints of Ferrari owners on this forum regarding the new models having turbos, hybrids, going to smaller engines. The people, at least on this forum, have been very clear about what they would prefer if given the choice. Yes, I love the Ferrari brand, but the best part for me, what told me I needed to have one, was the sound that came with the performance. Years of endlessly watching YouTube videos of Ferrari's violently screaming to their nearly 9k redlines. Recently, I've noticed that I rarely even bother looking up videos of the new Ferrari exhausts. Don't get me wrong, they don't sound bad, and I'd still buy one, but they don't stir that feeling that says I'd do anything to have one. I will cede that I might be biased because I already own one, so maybe that impacts my need to have another.

I'll also add that us old school Ferrari lovers will say "wow, this sounds like a Ferrari", but the new generation that wasn't around for those? Those teens and early twenty's kids (next generation of enthusiasts) might not think that. They'll be comparing the latest Z06 and Ferrari models and think, "Wow, this sounds better than a Ferrari."

straightpipe and nmcclure like this.
  10. ChaosAD!

ChaosAD! Karting

Jul 29, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Shinas
    I don’t see it as a threat at all. Chevy will sell more Z06’s than Ferrari makes cars overall. Apples and oranges. The new vette looks like a Ferrari on estrogen, it’s awkward and frankly it looked dated already from the moment it launched. I’m sure it’s a great car and it well sell extremely well but from a brand standpoint Ferrari is light years ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Viperjoe likes this.
  11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Didn't GM get bailed out :) Ferrari is a master luxury brand and always will be. Last I looked GM is not selling out on $2M cars people fight over. When everything goes electric Ferrari will still be at the top (requires punting Manzoni). Not worthy of comparison IMO.

12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    #137 FerrariCognoscenti, Nov 8, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Ferrari has been, for the most part, incredibly disappointing since the relationship with Pininfarina ended. Non-Pininfarina Ferrari’s are so uninspired and lack a coherent design language. Attempts to reinvent the past with “inspirations” from past designs, like the 296 GTB, is an insult to Ferrari’s of the past. I have no desire to own a non-Pininfarina Ferrari. I will be holding on tight to my 458 and never sell it, and will plan to add perhaps an F12 and some 80s/90s gated Ferrari, maybe a 308 or 355.

With the current management team at Ferrari, I have no confidence in Ferrari’s ability to be a leader in the supercar market post-2025. It will be Ferrari’s of the past that maintain the aura of Ferrari — it won’t be their 2028 EV. Ferrari as a company today, simply doesn’t excite me, and I fear it will only get worse.

I’ve looked at possibly adding a Lamborghini, but every time I see one on the road being driven buy a guy 50+ years old, it just looks silly. Lamborghini has become synonymous with the young nuveau riche crowd, and I just find the cars so ostentatious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RayJohns and Tackleberry like this.
  13. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    308 or 355 - you must be a glutton for punishment lol. The 355 is fun, as long as you don't mind parts falling off your car.

If you want a really nice gated Ferrari, get yourself a clean 360 with a manual gearbox. That's a really fun car to own.

I've always thought having a 250GTE would be fun.

I'm with you 100% on having no desire to own any of the new non-Pininfarina, post 2025 EV modern BS.

Ray

14. cavalierhome

cavalierhome Rookie

Nov 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    Paul Dos Santos
    I love this.
    I own a Ferrari, I am also waiting to get a C8 Z06.
    The Ferrari is about the brand, but that is all it has left.
    Don't rev your Ferrari engine if you pull alongside a Z06 because it will leave you far in the dust all day every day, on the road, or on the track. So will lot's of other cars these days.
    I own a Ferrari because it is beautiful, I want a Corvette C8 Z06 because it is a beast.

DIGMAN52, Boomhauer and G. Pepper like this.
  15. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Yeah it's been that way for a while. Same with Teslas. To each their own but I personally have absolutely no interest in owning a Vette... interesting how people self identify.

83Mondialqv likes this.
  16. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If you love Ferrari engine sounds..the 355 with a tubi and a set of test pipes..oh baby..that's the one. For the 12's I would say a 512TR with the Capristo exhaust with test pipes is simply awsome.

V12.. f12 or 812..holy smokes..honestly those things with any exhaust mods make me horney.

The rest of the new stuff..meh..kinda poo sounding really. I love the 430..but it is not a good sounding car.