How Often Do Older Ferraris Need To Be Driven? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Often Do Older Ferraris Need To Be Driven?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F355 Fan 82, Mar 1, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Fan,
    The only investment your 575 represents is an investment in your personal enjoyment.
    If you enjoy looking at it, do that.
    If you enjoy driving it, do that too.
    But limiting the mileage to preserve its value is counterproductive. They are unlikely to be appreciating assets anytime soon.
    These cars love to be driven, and as you are hearing actually perform better the more they are.
    I’d wager that the value you conserve by limiting the mileage will be eaten up by the resulting required maintenance.

Blitz88 and thorn like this.
  2. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    If I were you I'd find a great breakfast place about 50 miles of decent driving roads away; get up early Sat or Sun morning and drive to breakfast once per month in 575 and same with SLR.
    Or...
    Buy a second home in GA, SC, or NC and put cars there. Fly up for a weekend away once or twice per month...good to clear your head when working so hard.
    Trust me...burn out is a real thing..these cars can help save you.

3. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    Blitz88 likes this.
  4. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Yes it was. I got lots of great information about why short drives are no good vs long drives if you're not driving often. One poster kept on and on about how the cars were a nuisance, they're not, some of us are just incredibly busy and don't have time to workout multiple cars weekly. Im a trader, I work 70+ hours a week, I barely get any time to take my cars out when nobody is on the road, usually super early 6-7 am. I don't want to go sit in traffic in the cars, thats not fun and thats not why I bought them. So the whole purpose of my thread was to ask was I driving them enough. 20-30 miles a week is 1000-1500 miles a year, I would say thats right about the amount 90% of Ferraris get driven, so my scenario wasn't absurd. The cars may not be an investment to others, but in my opinion, they're both rare and both ARE investments in the sense that I don't see the bottom of their values just falling out. That's just my opinion nobody has to agree. They're not mass produced 360's, 430's, 458's. They're both cars where just a few hundred are in the US so Id prefer to keep miles low in the long run and honestly I don't even think 1000-1500 miles is that low. I saw an Testarossa near me for sale with 500 miles after 30 years, thats low miles.

5. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    Money does not seem to be an issue for you so i don´t see why you have to drive them at all or worry about that they will break if not driven. Just enjoy your cars the way you are most comfortable with and fix them when they break. Being all worried about driving them so they don´t break seems pointless and not worth the hassle in the end. There are better investments to be made that are also more stress free.

Blitz88 likes this.
  6. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    I have several toys like most on this board. The day I feel keeping all cars content from usage and service becomes a chore, that's my signal to lean out. It's surely influenced by my non-car life which has peaks and valleys too. This cycle drives my wife crazy!!!

7. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I work from home. I don't even have to get dressed to go to work. But if the weather is nice, I drive all my cars every time it's nice, usually for about an hour each. I have four to rotate.

I got rid of a 360 last year that never could get sorted, regardless of the 10s of thousands I put into it. Why? Because previous owners didn't drive it enough.

kerrari likes this.
  8. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Its not a chore, but do you live in a congested city or are you out somewhere with nice,empty roads? Im in miami beach, its insanely crowded most of the time and I didn't buy exotics to drive in traffic or to go to dinner in them. So for me, the only times I can really open it up is 6 or 7 am. The rest of the time you're dealing with a ton of traffic so for me there's maybe a couple hours a week where the roads are nice and empty here next to me to enjoy the cars and if I don't have to be in the office early I'll do it.

9. HH11

HH11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 4, 2010
    Drive the car so that the oil gets up to temperature. If during the 8 mile trip you take it isn't that high, you shouldn't be on the gas too hard. You should also try to drive it for at least a few miles once it's at operating temp.

Nothing worse than tearing through the gears with low oil temp. Assuming you aren't near the 210 degrees when you come back from your ride, you're doing more bad than good.

kerrari and F355 Fan 82 like this.
  10. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

Ok, that sums it up. There was no need to use insulting language.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  11. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Using the non-pejorative definition, it was the initial poster who is ignorant about the harm short drives that don’t get the car up to operating temperatures. It was amusing for him to use that word in response. Such is how it goes online.

Blitz88 and Jakuzzi like this.
  12. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    So it was ignorant of me to ask a community of experts a question about a car I recently purchased? Got it.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  13. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Sigh. No. That’s not what I wrote.

You were ignorant on the topic, thus correctly asked a question about it.

It was then amusing that you use the word ignorant in a derogatory way in a later post in the thread.

Don’t invent insults where none exist.

“lacking knowledge, information, or awareness about something in particular“

Blitz88 likes this.
  14. nicholasn

nicholasn Formula 3

Nov 7, 2013
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Nicholas
    Ignorant doesn't mean you're stupid, it just means you don't know something about a particular topic. We all know a lot about certain things while also being ignorant about other things. Sadly, the meanings behind ignorant and arrogant seem to have gotten confused, so the term ignorant often comes across as insulting, whether intended or not.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand; as others have pointed out, it is best for a car to have a chance to fully warm up and be driven at those operating conditions for a bit. If just going out for a joyride a couple times a month would work the best for your situation (given proximity to work and location), then give that a try. It will probably be more enjoyable for you, and will also be better for your cars.

Blitz88 likes this.
  15. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I drive my 550 about once a month. But when I do take it out, I drive long enough so that everything gets warmed up. Also, a relatively long drive is more enjoyable to me. It's always on the battery tender when in the garage (I brought out the tender cable through the front grill so it's easy to hookup).

NE550 likes this.
  16. 430 Scooter

430 Scooter Karting

Jan 17, 2016
    LOL, not surprised by this guy's behavior.

Blitz88 likes this.
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    No my dear Sir. It's called having manners.

The correct use of language fosters meaningful and constructive dialogue. What you expressed was not either of those; But Fchat is the proper place regarding Ferrari-related issues/passions.

Happy motoring. :)

Blitz88 likes this.
  18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    What one chooses to do with their personal property is their business. If f355 F1 fan wants to keep miles low, doesn't affect my enjoyment (and i racked up about 5k miles a year) - Some people do enjoy the collecting aspect more then the drive, who am I to judge how one spends their time and money if it causes me no harm?

It appears the consensus is that the short drives should be longer if running maintenance is desired. Seems fair and logical. No need to devolve much more from that.

Blitz88 and Jakuzzi like this.
  19. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
    I agree
    :)

paulchua likes this.
  20. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #45 I'm 360 Canuck, Mar 2, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Sounds like you are driving your car as much as you can/are willing to... not sure why you’re asking then, and getting bent out of shape when the consensus seems to be that it should be driven more, or perhaps you’ve got more cars then you can reasonably exercise.
    I wouldn’t worry about it too much. At least your car doesn’t have to deal with cold starts.
    When we ask for opinions of others, there’s always a risk we may not like what they say.
    Best of luck to you. Miami is a beautiful place to live and I’m sure you have an amazing commute with several great options. Enjoy it however you want. None of our cars will last forever.

21. ixlr8

ixlr8 Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2015
    Eastern Shore- Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If you are only driving your car 8 miles at a time, you are not driving it enough to put the charge back into the battery that you used starting it. Battery tender will be required. Instead of driving 8 miles twice a week, driving 40 miles once every 2 weeks would be much better for the car and the battery tender won't be necessary.

Blitz88 likes this.
  22. jgriff

jgriff Formula 3

Jun 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    There’s always a jerk or two that want to make a comment about you or your choices on how you want to enjoy your car instead of just answering the technical question you’ve asked. That’s why I don’t post many questions or topics here.

Formula Uno likes this.
  23. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sounds like the consensus from a mechanical point of view is that longer drives of 20+ miles at a time, even if less frequent, would be better for your car. Where you live the humidity issue is a real factor, so maybe wise to try it for a while and see if it works for you.

Regarding the opinions (hey, they're free and everyone's got one!)....The car is yours and I think that means you shouldn't worry about what others suggest. Do what makes you happy. Personally I agree with most of the posters that ideally, the goal should be to put as many miles on your car as is humanly possible, and when it breaks, which it eventually will because all cars do, just fix it. However, where I live all our nice cars get garaged for 6 months a year due to weather, so you could throw that argument right back at me. And mechanically speaking the truth is most of them are fine. I think you might be sweating the whole thing a bit too much.

24. lear60man

lear60man Formula 3

May 29, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Start once a week, check all the buttons, systems, AC-Heat, then weed whack around the big fountain. By then its up to operating temps and make sure the fans kick in, Shut off. Once a month, I drive it at least 20 miles to run errands or a long loop in my community. This makes sure the tires are not flat spotted and the tranny gets exercised.

Gulfstreams have a minimum procedure to keep them out of grounded status. I so this basic procedure even though its not an aircraft, but its my personal possession.

25. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Pretty much the same here. Try to get her out at least once every 3 weeks, except during the winter months when she's hibernating.

Always take at least a 30 min drive, but often go out for an hour or more. Have several routes I normally take depending on time available or what I feet like doing. I always let the engine oil temp and, by extension, the gearbox warm up to operating temp before hammering the car.

Can't get enough of the total sensory immersion of driving my 550. Been more than three months since I last had her out. With forecast temps in the low 60s here this weekend and the roads pretty clean, may just wake her up from her winter slumber and get her out for some exercise.