How old/young were/you when... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How old/young were/you when...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by F355Fly, Jan 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike

I always consider the 512BB to be a fantastic looking car even by today's standard, its styling is unmatched. I have got a 355 which is, no doubt, a great looking car but compared with the 512BB, the BB is definitely a lot more imposing.

As you have the privilege to have driven so many different Ferraris, I would like to know how the BB would fare in comparision with others regarding its performance and the driving experience ?

Your views/thoughts would be highly appreiated. Thanks.

Mickey

2. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    yes, this is a cool thread! i'm still in college, and i WILL have a ferrari before i'm 30. but at times it seems like an impossible dream. and everyone i tell thinks i'm a crazy dreamer. its great to hear everyones sucess stories! i'm not daydreaming after all.

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Got my 348 a month after I turned 32. When I was in high school I bet my buddies that I would have a Ferrari by the time I was 26. For years they teased me every birthday about the Ferrari. But when I finally rolled up in it all they could say was, you still didn't get it when you were 26. Late is better than never. My favorite reaction was from the guy I grew up next door too. We had told each other that we would have Ferrari before the other one did. I showed up to his job and we went to lunch. I told him I would drive. As we were walking to the parking lot he saw the 348 and said in a smartass voice "so are we gonna take the Ferrari". I said "yeah we are get in". He laughed and said "quit being stupid were did you park?" I said, "right here" and point to my 348. "Yeah right" he said. Then I got in and told him to get in the passenger seat. He then said "Okay your gonna get busted, get out of that car and quit messing around". With a big smile on my face I put the key in the ignition and fired up MY Ferrari. The look on his face was utter shock. LOL. Later in the day I told him, "I beat you to the Ferrari don't let me beat you to the million bucks".

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I worked my way through italian cars while I was gowing up and started to drive.

I saved up from being 17 to buy my first Ferrari at 30.
    I had a Maserati at 26 and bought my 348 GTS 1994 at 30 with cash.
    Everyone thought it would never happen but hard work and believing in yourself it did work.

The thing is I picked the car up a day before my 30th and only had the 348 GTS only one hour. I crashed ran into the back of a ford and 30 mph and writ the car off. It was the best day of my life and dream came true of owing my own Ferrari and the worst nightmare of my life crashing it.
    After the insurance pay out I bought a 348 Spider two months later. The car I have now is much better then the GTS.

PS I went to brake and hit the gas pedal instead. i do have 14 feet and was driving with boots on a big mistake...

5. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi,

got my TR when i was 34.

Plip

6. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I bought my 1st F-car when I was 23... it was black on black F355.

I bought it because it was so much cheaper to buy and drive Ferrari in the US than in Thailand (we pay over 200% tax on lux cars). So, I took the opportunity to enjoy it when I studied in the US.

2 months after I bought the F355, I found used F355 F1 (60 miles on the clock) and bought it....it was the right choice as I totally enjoy every single of the 20000 miles I put on it. I went everywhere in it, dumpsite, fastfood, Supermarket, school, parties...anywhere....

Now that I am back in Thailand where new F360 cost about US$400K, I can only enjoy Skyline GTR and used NSX... still they are great cars, but not a Ferrari...ha ha...may be one day I will.

7. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    I bought my '82 308 GTSi back in June of '00 when I was 25. Got my '91 TR back in March of '03 at 29 years old. Saw a 308 up close for the 1st time when I was 5 or 6 years old, from that day on I knew I had to have one.

8. Mickey

Mickey Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Linnet Drive
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Pong,

Which Skyline GTR are you driving ? R32, 33 or 34 ?

how does the GTR compare with the 355 in terms of feel and experience ??? which is a better car to drive ?

9. JeffB

JeffB Formula 3

Jan 16, 2004
    Northville, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jeff B
    I was 25 in May of 2001 when I purchased my first Ferrari, which was a '97 355 Spider. I sold that last April when my 360 came in.

10. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
  11. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    My Goal (for 20 years) was "Ferrari by 50." Rather than wait any longer, I got a cheapo model at 44. Happy I did.

12. Angel Bello, Esq.

Dec 10, 2003
    I bought my first Ferrari, a Mondial Coupe, at age 33.

At age 39, I bought my second Ferrari, a 456GT.

I still have both.

13. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    What year is the Mondial?

14. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I was 23 when I bought my 365 GT4.

A Ferrari was the first manual transmission car that I owned!

15. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Ditto. A carbed 512 is one awesome machine. Incredible looking interior also, IMO, the best looking ever next to the Countach. I was 22 when I bought my baby in 82.

No intel inside here.