How to Adjust Intake/Exhaust Valve Clearances on a 308 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How to Adjust Intake/Exhaust Valve Clearances on a 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by Brian A, Mar 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    #26 bartzagato, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    #27 smg2, Mar 25, 2014
  3. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Thanks for this.

Its around 20 years since I did any cam timing (on Lotus engines) so I am really rusty on it.

So, the 123 degrees angle is from the point at which the valve is just starting to open to the point at which its just finished closing, assuming a 0.5mm clearance?
    If so, surely you only have control over either end of this angle, as the angle itself is determined by the cam profile?

I seem to recall when I did this before I set the reference point at the point of maximum opening of the valve, by measuring a known amount of opening slightly either side of the max and taking the midpoint. Then, the clearance is cancelled out. Does this method not work on these engines for some reason?

4. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The ~123* is the duration ~246* crank of the camshaft at zero lash and 0.5mm valve clearance. I have about a half dozen profiles, they all range around 122*~123*, most being ~122.3*

What's notable is that the notches in the cams are specific to the 0.5mm number. If one first set the running clearance of ~0.22mm and then checked timing by measuring a lift of 0.5mm the timing would be out. So either check it with zero lash or subtract the known running clearance from the 0.5mm and measure that, for example.

running clearance of 0.2mm;
    0.5 - 0.2 = 0.3mm
    check timing by measuring a lift (depression) of 0.3mm on the valve.

Fiddly tech point here, when checking lift the dial the indicator shaft needs to be axially inline with the valve or the measurement will be wrong.
    Intake valve angle = 15*
    Exhaust valve angle = 18*30'

Bear-in mind that the dwg above is based on a lift per 1* resolution file, in other words I have a spread sheet with lift at each degree of the cam lobe profile. That then is used to create the lobe curve in CAD I can then using tangents and contact points derive the lift on the valve based on the shim dia, the amount of contact face determines how much lift you have. The factory cams have very very slow ramps, the base circle is only ~160* so when you're checking clearance you need to make sure the center-line of the base is in line with the valve angle or your measurements could be off a hair. I've found that having a set of feeler gauges that are 'bent' or curved really help here. try and avoid brass ones as they deform over time and those are actually made to check reluctor gaps.

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    OK

So you mean the reference point of the cam for timing purposes is just that one point, ie 0.3mm of lift, or is it the center point between 0.3mm of lift on the opening and closing of the valve?
    If the former, would it not be better to use the latter, ie a midpoint because that would not depend on the lift, you could use any reasonable figure as long as it was the same each way. Or is this not possible owing to asymmetry of the cam or some other reason?

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The question I've seen posted many times is "how close are the factory 'tick' marks?"

Since I design new profiles for the engine builds I took the stock profile to find the timing data in simulations. Given that I wanted to have new grinds done where the 'tick' marks still line up vs having to time them it required changing the centerline, in order to that I needed to find where the 'tick' mark is in relation to the timing events. long story short, the profile data shows that the 'tick' mark lines up the timing based on zero lash and 0.5mm valve lift.

How one wants to measure or arrive there has many options. The total life of the will vary though as the factory marks are based on lift from the base circle.

7. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Finally found a few minutes to watch your video.

It is awesome, although the oil filter removal bit was a bit worrisome, the hail storm is a surprise and I was kinda wondered about the big hammer. Glad it all ends happily.

Thanks for posting: it really truly is valuable. Looking forward to the next installment about how you actually make the adjustments.

8. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Ha ha thanks Brian, I put the silly filter removal in as a bit of fun and to show what to do if you don't have a correct tool (which I do) It's better than sticking a screwdriver through it, which I've seen done also :)
    And the hammer.....yes thought I'd put that in there too because the amount of damage people do to alloy engines with hammers and screwdrivers is unbelievable.
    Anyway glad you liked it, Cheers!
    Part 2 coming up as soon as it stops raining....
    All the best, Bell.

Ps. Cheers SMG2 for the camshaft tech data, that's in my archive now, very useful.
    It's interesting how car companies do things, on my Aston V8 Vantage the valve timing overlap is measured by valve depression at TDC.

Jasonious likes this.
  9. Dave MacLeod

Dave MacLeod Karting

Mar 22, 2008
    Sydney, Australia.
    Another interested viewer of your video. Thanks for taking the time to film and post. Great stuff & loving that U.K weather!

-Dave.

10. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

11. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
  12. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK

As has been said (and as with Andy's car), my (328) exhaust valves were set in the 30-35 range by a leading Indi so its commonly done.

What you may not be aware of is that the shims come in (nominally) .05mm incremnents i.e. 4mm / 4.05/4.10/4.15 etc. so typically if you are at 0.3 on a vave, if you change the shim to the next one up it should go to 0.35

BUT the shims seldom mic out at the marked dimension.

So in order to alter the valve clearances what you really need to do the first time is take all the Shims out one at a time (and it helps to have a couple of spares to enable you to do this) and then measure them all & make a map of what you have & where they are.

You will then find you can correct/adjust a lot of your clearances by moving shims around & that will then leave you needing to source very few to fix the final few valves.

When you buy them then take a micrometer with you & check what you are getting. If you buy them via mail order then ask that they are measured because they can easily be 0.02-0.03mm out from what they are marked as.

Once you have made the map once & you know what shims you have & where they are then the next time through it should be easier if you ever had to do it again. Getting the shims out from under the cams is not that easy (you need special tools) & there is an argument to saying just take the cams out the first time so that you can get to all the shims easily.

13. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Where can we order shims online? I know 2V and 4V engines require different diameter shims, I'd be interested in 4V shims?

14. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    2V shims are the same as in some Volvo engine I think, so easier to get.

For 4V shims, Superformance do them

15. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #40 Bell Bloke, Mar 28, 2014
    Many thanks folks for your kind comments.
    My cam covers and plenum are at the powder coaters to be painted matt red and will be back in 2 weeks, Bloody hell!!
    Anyway there are other things to get on with, I enclose a picture for my engine bay inspiration. I have bought a plating kit to zinc plate in gold and silver factory finish all the injection fuel pipes and other fittings etc.
    I'm also going to change out my camshaft oil seals which I can either do in situ or remove the shafts. Really it makes no odds to me. Removing would be better but for purposes of the video, I thought that leaving them in would be better for folks wanting to see how to do a seal change.
    The thing is I'm really doing a cosmetic and mechanical overhaul at the same time and
    I'm trying to do it in an order that will work for me and work for the videos too.
    Also I don't want to take too many things appart as it will confuse the viewer and also make fault diagnosis difficult for me should something not work when reasembled.
    ie. If you only tackle one job at a time you can trace a mistake more easily.

Iain, cheers for the heads up on the shims not being accurateI will just keep sending them back if they don't measure up until I get the right ones.
    Gordon, I'm getting mine from Superformance.

Oh and finally...torque wrench! I'm trying to have fun with this and do things that are very accessible, my torque wrench is very, very, very accessible and accurate, I think you are gonna like it, can't wait to show you what I usually use ;-)

All the best, Bell.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I got mine from an official dealership.

If you give your old back, I'm sure pricing will be (very) competitive.

17. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    You need to remove the camshafts to change the oil seals on a QV - the seal is held in a housing which is in turn sealed to the head with a large O ring - these themselves are often the cause of leaks. You take the cam out & then the housing comes off the back of the cam.

This would also give you a good opportunity to get to all the shims & measure them easily.

There has been some discussion about these seals/o-rings within the last year or so & also how to deal with sealing the gaskets in that area. You can buy a kit from Hill Engineering with Viton seals and O rings (they sell it for the 348 but they are the same parts). Andyww has recently found some X profile O rings which look like a good idea as well.

Many of us that have tried Superformance's cam cover gaskets have ended up buying the green ones from Ferrari not that long afterwards - even though they are 60 quid each. Draw your own conclusions!

If you want to change the cohline (plastic) FI lines that lead to the solid lines then I have the tool to do that (well, Andy has it at the moment I think!). If you are going to re-plate the hard lines then be careful not to block them in the process & you will really need to remove the plastic lines first.

18. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Cheers Iain, I went for a walk today and quickly figured how to remove the cams but for video purposes make it look like I just changed out the shims with the tool. I guess I shall be doing a few video variations here. :) Regarding your gasket advice I'm going to do what you suggest regarding the O rings but the cam covers I will try something else, only as an experiment . Can you PM me your phone no for a chat? Cheers, Bell.

19. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    OH YES !!!!!!! The imprined thickness on new or used shims are usually off, many by a bunch.

I mic spec'd about 100+ sims at my Volvo and BMW dealer combined, to find the approximately 6 shims I needed to be within the middle 1/3rd of the acceptable range of valve lash and the four for cam timing to give me as close to exact as possible, the 0.5mm lash on 1 and 8.

I posted a handy little spreadsheet I developed sometime ago here that will run you all the calculations automatically in metric or imperal on what shim thinkness you need. It is color coded Green, Yellow and Red as you plug in your lash and original shim thickness numbers and then recalulates as you input your proposed shim's thickness.

Nice and real cheezy (read: Brain dead simple). :)

20. carguyce750

carguyce750 Rookie

Mar 18, 2012
    PA
    Full Name:
    Allen Stevens
    Any one know the actual torque spec for the cam cover nuts. The video said 5 lbs but also said not to bother with a t. Wrench at all. ???

21. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #46 Bell Bloke, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    Hi Allen, the actual torque is 6ft lbs and as long as you have a low range torque wrench ie one that goes upto 40ft lbs then the best way is to use that.
    But as I said in the video if you use a torque wrench that goes to say 150ft lbs it won't be accurate down at 5-6ft lbs even though it may have it on the scale.
    20 years ago before internet shopping in the uk low range wrenches didn't exist so the way I was tought was to tighten till you feel the 'pinch' and then add 20-25 degrees.
    That method has worked for me on many Aston, Lotus and Lamborghini engines, I've never stripped a thread and I've never had a leaking cover even on a long 48 valve V12 motor.
    However times have changed and the tools are readily available now, so the correct proceedure is best ie use a low range wrench.
    I tried in my video just to for warn of potencial pit falls and how to get round them if the correct tools are not to hand. Like in this video here on how to make an accurate wrench from fish scales..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzrGJqZ5-Qg&feature=youtu.be

It's easy to forget that in WW2 our Daddies and Grandaddies built and flew most amazing aircraft without computers, a committee of suits to design it, without windtunnels or flight simulators.
    These 2,000hp technical marvels of their time, were usually penned by one patriotic bloke, his slide rule and a vision or a need.
    Test pilots wrote the flight manuals on the wing, then 'Boys' were told to go fight in foreign skies, many of whom would die in them.
    In a digital age it's easy to forget these things I guess.

22. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Well that came out a bit heavy, I really shouldn't write posts a 4am when I can't sleep.:)

23. Thomasio

Thomasio Karting

Feb 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    Thomas Alberti
    I love that so much time was dedicated to the oil filter removal :)

And the hail: "Don't ever move to England: it is a horrible nasty place!"

24. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike