How to clone a black remote fob .... | Page 20 | FerrariChat

How to clone a black remote fob ....

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by eric355, Dec 15, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am taking a side step from this discussion.

I have a cloned fob. It is probably 1000 presses out of synch with the original fob that is working. I want to build a little circuit board to energizes a little solenoid with a plunger that repeatedly pushes on the out-of-synch fob until it get to synch up. It may take all day.

Can anybody recommend a 12V or even 5V solenoid?

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Nothing new in any of their Q&A answers. The big deal is being able to read the PIN from the group of alpha-numerics in the EEPROM read-out. That is the trick Eric and I tried to understand and never could figure it out, even with a print-out on a red fob where we knew the PIN. The other thing they figured out, which we could not, is what in the alpha-numerics makes fobs part of a matched set. Each fob has an ID, which is all the Alarm ECU normally uses to arm and disarm the alarm, but we could never see the pattern for a matched set.

For that bit of sleuthing, they should be congratulated.

3. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

Were you aware that the red fob can only be used once? I hadn't heard that br fire

Also, what are they talking about re; matching engine ecu s to the immobilizer? What ecu s?

4. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #479 drbob101, Sep 11, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
    The reply to an email from the.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your inquiry, we are offering a special price for pin retrieval
    until the end of September, $739 US dollars.
    That includes shipping the immobiliser back to you in the US, but does not
    include any US customs charges or duties, which are at your cost. (I think
    customs charges are unlikely because Australia has a free trade arrangement
    with the US.)

With regard to a specific immobiliser being mated to the engine ECU:

Not an issue for the 355.
    Not talking about CAT ecu's.
    Talking about the engine management computer (- in a late 355 it's a
    Motronic 5.2)

To clarify the mated immobiliser question:

On the 360 there are 2 engine ECU's ( Motronic 7.3) - left and right
    side, one of them is mated to a specific immobiliser system and will only
    "work" with that particular immobiliser ( in simple terms some data is sent
    from the immobiliser when its disarmed that is flashed to the engine ECU the
    first time they are powered up. During subsequent start up sequences the
    same data is expected by the engine ECU in order to "go" .

If a new immobiliser system is fitted to a 360, then the engine ECU's need
    to be swapped left to right as well, so that the unmated "virgin" ECU loads
    the data from the immobiliser and then works as normal. There is no way of
    telling if the ECU swap has been done previously, so there is a chance that
    an immobiliser swap still won't let the engine run. Ferrari sell new anti
    theft systems for 2k and new engine ECU's (have to buy in pairs) for 4K US.

Our pin retrieval avoids all this, because we can retrieve the pin from the
    immobiliser that is fitted to the vehicle and is mated to the ecu. So there
    is no need to buy a new anti theft system or new ecu's.

Owners who don't have the PIN code can apply to Ferrari (through their
    dealer) to get the pin that was on the immobiliser when it left the factory.
    Ferrari don't guarantee the code will work with the vehicle , and sometimes
    it doesn't.
    The pin code could be different because a new set of fobs have been mated to
    it or because the immobiliser has been swapped over the past 15 years and X
    number of owners.

Karl

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If
    you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all
    copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately. You
    should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any
    other person.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, 12 September 2014 5:29 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: 355 Immobiliser

WHat do you charge to retrieve the pin from a 355 Immobiliser?

The q/a you have re: engine ecu matching the immobiliser. Is this not an
    issue with any 355s? ARe you talking about the CAT ecu s?

5. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    so you have to ship the immobilizer and not a remote ? is that right ?

I would not risk it, I would prefer to risk the $500 with Ferrari getting me the code. I was hoping they could get the code from the key FOB and then I could just send them a cloned one that I got from Gobble...too bad by now its well over a 1,000 clicks from working (I didn't know at the time I should be swapping key fobs regularly to keep them synched).

6. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #481 tazandjan, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Bob- Yup, well documented here in the document I wrote quite a while ago.

Mike- If you have your red fob, they can pull the code from that, too. Otherwise, no other choice than to ship the Alarm ECU, which they refer to as an immobilizer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. mikeyr

mikeyr Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Santa Barbara, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike Rambour
    dont have the red, only have one black and 2 cloned black FOB's...everything works fine guess I will leave it alone, just thought it would be cool to have the PIN code.

8. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Mike- Cool, but expensive. Good news is they can convert your original fob and 2 clones to work like an original set of three. Nice to have all three work without a bunch of extra button pushing. But you would be watching the mail pretty nervously.

9. darnaut

darnaut Rookie

May 24, 2012
    #484 darnaut, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

Hello,

My name is chris from austria! I own a F550 and bought my dutchess with only one black fob. two years ago i found erics procedure at the internet and thought ok i will do that that way; i'm working at an electrotechnical office and so we have the possibilitys to put the eprom out, read it out and cloned it.
    i bought two fobs, a red one and a black one from ONE set of a F360. we put the eprom of both fobs out and replaced it with new eproms with the written information of my black one.
    all was great all THREE fobs were working fine - two weeks ago i tried the red one and the black one (of the ex F360) again and there were working fine, than i put them into my safe for six month and after that time i tried them again - there were both NOT working any more, also not with new batteries!! What happened? I don't know, until this i'm searching for the reason but i find no answer - i do everything in the same way than eric in his manual...

So my question, do you know this problem or have you any idea about that story?

I have some bad pictures also, how i replaced and programmed the eproms of the fobs.

Best Regards Chris

10. darnaut

darnaut Rookie

May 24, 2012
    Hello,

My name is chris from austria! I own a F550 and bought my dutchess with only one black fob. two years ago i found erics procedure at the internet and thought ok i will do that that way; i'm working at an electrotechnical office and so we have the possibilitys to put the eprom out, read it out and cloned it.
    i bought two fobs, a red one and a black one from ONE set of a F360. we put the eprom of both fobs out and replaced it with new eproms with the written information of my black one.
    all was great all THREE fobs were working fine - two weeks ago i tried the red one and the black one (of the ex F360) again and there were working fine, than i put them into my safe for six month and after that time i tried them again - there were both NOT working any more, also not with new batteries!! What happened? I don't know, until this i'm searching for the reason but i find no answer - i do everything in the same way than eric in his manual...

So my question, do you know this problem or have you any idea about that story?

I have some pictures also, how i replaced and programmed the eproms of the fobs.

Best Regards Chris

11. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #486 ME308, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Hi Chris,

as I already told you on our german chat site ;)
    your fobs are "out of synch" - the alarm ecu is looking for the correct "rolling code"

when you clone a fob, you copy the memory of your original ... so you only have a back-up
    all the rolling codes in your original fob are now stored identically in your clone

the rolling code changes every time you press the button -
    (it is designed to avoid recording your coded signal)

each time you press the button of your fob, the alarm ecu looks at the rolling code to see if it has been already used -
    this is why you have to swap and use all of your fobs on a regular basis

to get your fobs/alarm ecu "re-synched", you will have to press the clone button often enough until you find a rolling code the alarm ecu has not already seen

good luck :)

12. DB188

DB188 Rookie

Jul 7, 2013
    North Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    db
    You say that the fob does not work. Are you getting the red led light on when you press the button. I have this problem with two fobs I have and do not know whether it is the fob or the rolling code issue ?

13. coto360

coto360 Rookie

May 17, 2014
    Coto de Caza, CA USA
    I'm new to this thread. I have a 2000 360 Spider European model with only one black remote key fob and am looking for someone to clone this for me. I can purchase a new black European remote from a guy on Ebay. He says he can do the cloning but I would have to send the remote to Europe which I am hesitant to do. Is there anyone here in the US that can clone the remote?

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You're new so some slack is appropriate : it often helps to read a thread before you post in it as practically every other post in this very thread refers to Gobble in the US for cloning !!!!

Having said that if the European is Eric355 then he has done many fobs too for members here both US & Europe

15. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Before you clone your fob that does not work do this. If you have only been using ONE fob and the unused one appears to NOT work the "rolling" code as mentioned above is way behind the curve ..... Get a cigar, a beer, and have a seat with the one that does NOT work. If the red light comes on every time you press it, you may have to sit there and press it 100 plus times to get it to "catch up" to the rolling code of the fob you do use. Every drive I switch fobs, it still on occasion takes 3-5 presses on the fob to get the beep/lights to activate and turn the alarm off.

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It will take more than a cigar. My fob is 3 years out of synch. I will have to build a circuit that activates a solenoid for this.

17. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I got it, find a young kid in your neighborhood tell him to keep pressing the fob button until the car "beeps" at him. Reward would be a drive around the neighborhood, free patience and tolerance training included.

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is the most innovative thought yet. I have several kits in the neighborhood that is up for that.

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Never more than a few minutes of pressing to synch. There are not that many rolling codes per FOB. Sometimes it is surprisingly quick.

20. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Is the rolling code thing only an issue with cloned fobs?

I have an OEM set and the red and one of the blacks are still in the wrapper they came in so I assume they have never been used, just the one that is in the car.

Should I be using that other black one as well or again is this just a cloned unit issue?

Thank you

21. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

clone issue ...
    the new ones will work directly out of the box ... no matter when you start using them -
    because their contained rolling codes have not yet been seen by the alarm ecu ... but the ecu "knows" what to expect ;)

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have pressed the cloned fob a few hundred times already to no avail.

23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Did it ever work? Maybe an unsuccessful clone?

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    It was the original one I sent to get cloned. After that, I put it away and used the clone for 4 years. Battery is good, light comes on, but it is hopelessly out of synch. It has to be pressed thousand of times and my finger will not last.

25. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    These are hopelessly crappy FOB's. They are subject to battery strength and contact pressures even if red light blinks on a strong signal might not be sent. I just resynched a FOB clone not used for maybe 2 years and it synched up fine. Trick I use are 1-new strong battery, 2-pinched connections inside the FOB, 3-spin battery in the FOB for contact, 4-eraser the FOB contacts fresh, 5- press FOB while FOB is inside the car on passenger side by the antenna, 6- the action I use is press 1000, pause1-1000, 2-1000, then press again.

It is possible to unintentionally trigger the danger emergency feature in the alarm. I just posted about that yesterday. hold press 3 seconds and it goes off.